Araceli Arola  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:32
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 15, 2017

Hi everybody,

I have just received a private e-mail from a new? Proz member searching for qualified translators for their upcoming huge amount of words (20,000,000 !!).

I know that first thing to do is having a look at BlueBoard, then webpage, then any comments... and I found nothing! Nothing anywhere, not even in the WWW, apart from their own web page.

I had a look at their Twitter account also, and they have no tweets or followers or any kind of activity
... See more
Hi everybody,

I have just received a private e-mail from a new? Proz member searching for qualified translators for their upcoming huge amount of words (20,000,000 !!).

I know that first thing to do is having a look at BlueBoard, then webpage, then any comments... and I found nothing! Nothing anywhere, not even in the WWW, apart from their own web page.

I had a look at their Twitter account also, and they have no tweets or followers or any kind of activity since its creation date, January 2017.

I'm not sure if I can inform you about the actual brand name here... but it consists of two very common words that gives thousands of results on my browser but no clue about the company.

Any similar experiece? I guess many of you have also received the same email, today.

Is there any other way to check within Proz?

Thanks
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:32
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Have you done all the possible checks? Jun 15, 2017

I'm sure I don't know them all, but you can check out the source or header, or whatever they call it, for IP address, intermediaries etc. Then you can search for everything possible along with the word "scam": email addresses, company name, website, sender's name...

It could be a scammer, particularly if it's a new account. If you have good reason to suspect that that's the case, send the email to the Scam Centre here or send it with a Support Ticket to ProZ.com staff and they'll ch
... See more
I'm sure I don't know them all, but you can check out the source or header, or whatever they call it, for IP address, intermediaries etc. Then you can search for everything possible along with the word "scam": email addresses, company name, website, sender's name...

It could be a scammer, particularly if it's a new account. If you have good reason to suspect that that's the case, send the email to the Scam Centre here or send it with a Support Ticket to ProZ.com staff and they'll check it out. They'll also close the account sharpish if it is a scammer and send us notification to be on our guard.
Collapse

Araceli Arola
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 15, 2017

Thanks Sheila! I get to it now!

Araceli Arola
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ticket opened Jun 15, 2017

Hi again,

I've already opened a ticket, but I'm almost sure it is scam.
The webpage shows a Toronto address, but IP belongs to New Jersey.

The signer is a certain Steve Hall, and it turns out that on the web there are endless variants of the same name, always associated with scam.

The alleged provider is trustedspanish.com

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also received it Jun 15, 2017

And I just deleted that. A massive message like this is intended for translators in the (extremely) lower side of rate scale anyway.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Japanese to English
+ ...
new agency Jun 15, 2017

Whether or not there is a listing on proz.com, when an agency advertises "20,000,000" words, you really have to be skeptical.

Araceli Arola
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
direct proz email Jun 15, 2017

Yes, of course, but because it was a direct proz e-mail it left room for doubt.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why this fuss? Jun 15, 2017

It seems a new member who is either outsourcing or expanding and trying to open or increase his translators data base. You are free to continue wit the mentioned recruiting procedure or just delete it, as Elias did.

I just deleted it as well, but I have no grounds to call it a scammer.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Waste of time Jun 15, 2017

Straight into the bin, mainly because I never fill in forms for potential jobs.

Maria Popova
Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:32
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
Translator Scammers Site Jun 16, 2017

Hi Araceli,

You can check them out here: http://www.translator-scammers.com

If they are listed - definitely scammers!

Cheers

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not typical Jun 16, 2017

Elías Sauza wrote:

And I just deleted that. A massive message like this is intended for translators in the (extremely) lower side of rate scale anyway.

I just wanted to note that low rates are not a typical component of such scams. Quite the contrary. Scammers (at least those working the "overpayment scam") typically offer (or agree to) a very high rate in an attempt to secure quick agreement on the part of the freelancer.

In fact, agreement to a rate that is, say, 50% more than the average for a particular language combination can serve as a clue that you are probably dealing with a scammer.

If you have reasonable concern about a possible scam, insist on upfront payment through MoneyGram or Western Union. A scammer will never agree to such arrangements.

[Edited at 2017-06-16 18:35 GMT]

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 14:32
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Any news? Aug 31, 2017

Has it actually been determined if this is a scam or not? The same company is now sending around mails for Dutch.

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Exactly the same for Dutch ... Aug 31, 2017

I received this mail twice, and threw it away twice.

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
And now they are "Trusted Dutch" Aug 31, 2017

No wonder I could not find the company anywhere. What worries me is that they use the ProZ directory and sign in as a basic "hidden" user. I have no idea what this feature entails, but it says:
Data security This person has a SecurePRO™ card. Because this person is not a ProZ.com Plus subscriber, to view his or her SecurePRO™ card you must be a ProZ.com Business member or Plus subscriber.

in the email they had a google docs link, which I was not ever going to click. But i
... See more
No wonder I could not find the company anywhere. What worries me is that they use the ProZ directory and sign in as a basic "hidden" user. I have no idea what this feature entails, but it says:
Data security This person has a SecurePRO™ card. Because this person is not a ProZ.com Plus subscriber, to view his or her SecurePRO™ card you must be a ProZ.com Business member or Plus subscriber.

in the email they had a google docs link, which I was not ever going to click. But it is very strange they use Proz for this.
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
for Italian too Aug 31, 2017

Hi.
I recevied the exact same email for Italian yesterday evening. I did not click on the google docs link provided in the email. No way!!
A quick search led me to believe they do not exist at alla and that they are probably fishing around for information for further scamming.
Not sure if I should open a support ticket too.
I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Ciao,
Daniela

p.s. the
... See more
Hi.
I recevied the exact same email for Italian yesterday evening. I did not click on the google docs link provided in the email. No way!!
A quick search led me to believe they do not exist at alla and that they are probably fishing around for information for further scamming.
Not sure if I should open a support ticket too.
I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Ciao,
Daniela

p.s. the IP address appears to be in Houston, Texas

[Edited at 2017-08-31 07:11 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new? translation agency offering services as a proz member

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »