Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2017

Hello, colleagues,

I recently submitted a paper to one of my PhD professors regarding terminology. My paper is a review of Lynne Bowker's article about Terminology and Translation (found as a chapter in Handbook of Terminology). Feel free to check it out if you want.

Bowker's recommendation to highlight the importance and relevance of terminology management in today's market by indicating it as a separate charge on a translator's invoice is an interesting thought.
... See more
Hello, colleagues,

I recently submitted a paper to one of my PhD professors regarding terminology. My paper is a review of Lynne Bowker's article about Terminology and Translation (found as a chapter in Handbook of Terminology). Feel free to check it out if you want.

Bowker's recommendation to highlight the importance and relevance of terminology management in today's market by indicating it as a separate charge on a translator's invoice is an interesting thought.

Has anyone ever considered doing it?

Thanks.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Of course Jun 16, 2017

Hi, Mario.

Of course, I have thought of that. For, about, the past 27 years.

In case you ever meet a customer who agrees, please let me know, so that we can join forces.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:46
English to Thai
+ ...
Terminology search is not translation Jun 16, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Hello, colleagues,

Thanks.

Terminology search is not translation. You need time and expertise to conclude on a term to offer. I bill for it by hourly rate.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro
Bangkok, Thailand.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't say it was Jun 16, 2017

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Hello, colleagues,

Thanks.

Terminology search is not translation. You need time and expertise to conclude on a term to offer. I bill for it by hourly rate.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro
Bangkok, Thailand.

Soonthon, please reread my original post. I said terminology management, if done, could be billed as a separate item. And a proofreader of English wouldn't charge that much for proofing posts.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:46
German to English
"It depends" Jun 18, 2017

Hi Mario,

I'm afraid that's basically always going to be the answer here. It depends on who the client is, what sort of relationship the translator has with that client, what sort of expertise and experience the translator has, and how good the translator is at selling that expertise and experience.

I'm just about to start a job, for example, for which I (separately) quoted several hours of terminology work because I'm going to have to translate a subject area (German f
... See more
Hi Mario,

I'm afraid that's basically always going to be the answer here. It depends on who the client is, what sort of relationship the translator has with that client, what sort of expertise and experience the translator has, and how good the translator is at selling that expertise and experience.

I'm just about to start a job, for example, for which I (separately) quoted several hours of terminology work because I'm going to have to translate a subject area (German farm accounting, if you're interested) for which little or no reliable English terminology is available. And my (direct) client accepted that without hesitation because a) they know I'm a financial translation expert and b) we've been working together for many years (and I've billed terminology research in the past).

Overall, though, I think you'll find that there's a massive gap between what terminology academics think should be done and what practising translators are able to do in their day-to-day business. Also, I would suggest that it's not common for working translators to be able to do the sort of in-depth terminology work that so many academics seem to think is desirable or even necessary.

In my experience, the sort of terminology management that the textbooks recommend is restricted to public-sector institutions and (some) larger corporations who are in a position to afford full-time (or even part-time) terminologists. In other cases, terminology management is something that gets done on the side when there's some spare time (which is rarely).

Robin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing terminology research separately

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »