Cristina Tormen
Cristina Tormen  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:01
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 27, 2017

Hello everybody,
I'm a translator since few months, so I'm a beginner. I would like to start using a cat tool, but I'm not ready to buy one, as I don't know yet if this is going to by MY job.

Could you tell me if there is any free cat tool available for Mac? I know Across, but it doesn't work for Mac.

Thank you very much for your help!

Cristina

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
omegaT Apr 27, 2017

www.omegat.org

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:01
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
are you a paying member of Proz.com? Apr 27, 2017

Cristina Tormen wrote:

Hello everybody,
I'm a translator since few months, so I'm a beginner. I would like to start using a cat tool, but I'm not ready to buy one, as I don't know yet if this is going to by MY job.

Could you tell me if there is any free cat tool available for Mac? I know Across, but it doesn't work for Mac.

Cristina

If you're paying member of Proz.com, you get CafeTran for free, which is probably the best CAT tool for OS X at the moment.

Michael

https://www.cafetran.com/

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Not all paying members Apr 28, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Cristina Tormen wrote:

Hello everybody,

Cristina

If you're paying member of Proz.com, you get CafeTran for free, which is probably the best CAT tool for OS X at the moment.

Michael

I am a paying member, but didn't subcribe for their 'new super magical package', so no cafetran for me.

[Edited at 2017-04-28 17:44 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Correct Apr 29, 2017

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Michael

I am a paying member, but didn't subcribe for their 'new super magical package', so no cafetran for me.

That's correct. CafeTran is only provided as part of the Proz Plus package. When you're a 'standard' paying user of Proz.com, you can use CafeTran in its demo mode:

In the Demo mode, CafeTran sets the 1000 segments limit for the translation memories (including the recalled ones) and 500 terms limit for the glossary.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:01
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
oh ja, da's waar ook. was ik vergeten [oh yeah, forgot about that] Apr 30, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Michael

That's correct. CafeTran is only provided as part of the Proz Plus package. When you're a 'standard' paying user of Proz.com, you can use CafeTran in its demo mode:

In the Demo mode, CafeTran sets the 1000 segments limit for the translation memories (including the recalled ones) and 500 terms limit for the glossary.

Cristina Tormen
Cristina Tormen  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 2, 2017

Thank you everyone for your help.
I'm not a paying member for now, I think I will try OmegaT to start.

Thank you again!

[Modificato alle 2017-05-02 16:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free Cat Tool for Mac

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »