Thread poster: KevinJH
KevinJH
KevinJH
Canada
Local time: 08:37
English to French
May 12, 2017

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what’s the most popular option between Office 2016 and Office 365 among translators, especially with English/French translators using softwares such as Antidote, MultiTrans and Fusion, since newer versions of Office don’t always seem to work well with niche software like these.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Office May 12, 2017

Office 2016 is the version of Office software, while Office 365 is the payment subscription. They're not exclusive. On my machine my Office programs are both.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:37
German to English
If you are concerned, you should buy a conventional license. May 12, 2017

I have Office 365, because it seemed like the simpler solution at the time. However, if you only use the most basic Office programs and don't have any use for any of the additional features of Office 365, then buying a conventional business/professional license for Office 2016 would probably cost less money as long as your computer survives more than a few years.

The other point that you mentioned seems like the clincher, though: If you are worried about updates and new versions of
... See more
I have Office 365, because it seemed like the simpler solution at the time. However, if you only use the most basic Office programs and don't have any use for any of the additional features of Office 365, then buying a conventional business/professional license for Office 2016 would probably cost less money as long as your computer survives more than a few years.

The other point that you mentioned seems like the clincher, though: If you are worried about updates and new versions of Office products, just go with a conventional license.
Collapse

KevinJH
KevinJH
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Office 2016 May 12, 2017

Alright, I think I’ll go with Office 2016 to be on the safer side.

Thanks to you both!

Kevin

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Avoid like the plague May 12, 2017

Although MS Office 2016 seems shiny, slick and new, don't let it fool you; as you say, there may be compatibility issues with "niche" softwares. I use WordFast Classic and it won't work with Excel and PowerPoint files in 2016. Windows 2010 or W7 worked better for me, and I keep a couple of backup PCs loaded with these operating systems just in case.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Keep all software programs and licenses May 14, 2017

neilmac wrote:

Although MS Office 2016 seems shiny, slick and new, don't let it fool you; as you say, there may be compatibility issues with "niche" softwares. I use WordFast Classic and it won't work with Excel and PowerPoint files in 2016. Windows 2010 or W7 worked better for me, and I keep a couple of backup PCs loaded with these operating systems just in case.

For years I have made it a point to keep all of my installed software packages and their corresponding licenses or product keys, just in case. Of course, I keep them both in their original CD or DVD format and on a separate external hard drive, which I back up.

The lowest common denominator for software compatibility is to keep and use the oldest yet functional software programs that play well together. Exactly the opposite of what software companies expect us to do: to be early adopters.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Office 2016 or 365?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »