Farsi/Persian translators - do you use CAT tools?
Thread poster: Hayley Assuncao
Hayley Assuncao
Hayley Assuncao
Local time: 13:07
French to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2017

Hello,
I am interested in learning more about the use of CAT tools amongst translators working into Persian.
I found this thread but it is quite old now, and thought things may be different now: http://www.proz.com/forum/persian_farsi/153730-using_cat_tools_among_iranian_translators.html
I would be really interested to hear w
... See more
Hello,
I am interested in learning more about the use of CAT tools amongst translators working into Persian.
I found this thread but it is quite old now, and thought things may be different now: http://www.proz.com/forum/persian_farsi/153730-using_cat_tools_among_iranian_translators.html
I would be really interested to hear which you use, if any, and whether they are widespread or not.
Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Ahmad Hosseinzadeh  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 16:37
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Trados Aug 17, 2017

Hi Hayley,

I use Trados Studio but not frequently. Most jobs are either could not be done in Trados (i.e. they're images or the like) or are not required by the client to be done by a CAT tool. I'm not sure about others, but those few friend-colleagues I know have somewhat the same situation, so MS Word is still the first choice.

Regards,

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 06:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
Agree with Ahmad - MS Windows 10 w/ Persian language spt inside (characters, drivers & keyboard) Oct 3, 2017

Greetings.

Agree with Ahmad Hosseinzadeh's good and insightful comment.

For word-processing into Persian, the basic MS Windows 10 (as well as earlier versions, i.e. Vista, et al) software package includes Persian language support inside (characters, RTL drivers and keyboard connection). Findable in the control panel > regional and language settings > add a language > select from the drop-down list of languages > etc. The RTL Persian support also works fine inside MS Pow
... See more
Greetings.

Agree with Ahmad Hosseinzadeh's good and insightful comment.

For word-processing into Persian, the basic MS Windows 10 (as well as earlier versions, i.e. Vista, et al) software package includes Persian language support inside (characters, RTL drivers and keyboard connection). Findable in the control panel > regional and language settings > add a language > select from the drop-down list of languages > etc. The RTL Persian support also works fine inside MS PowerPoint and MS Publisher formats.

An additional action to insure correct RTL display of text rendered in Persian (including its relative, Kurdish) inside a MS Word file is to also "save" the file > "select as" > formats list, and select the PDF option. I usually send both formats to a customer just in case the receiving PC or laptop's settings have compatibility complications.

Hope this helps.

Khudaa Haafez...

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud Akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Farsi/Persian translators - do you use CAT tools?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »