Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
When will the new version of TO3000 ("Translation Office 3D"?) be released?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 16, 2016

… and will it have any of the features we have been asking for?

There are a number of features that I have been asking for, for years, which still haven't been implemented, but which keep being promised. As usual, I have been shopping around, looking at the competition, and there seem to be a few decent online competitors popping up here and there.

MJWB

[Edited at 2016-05-16 19:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-16 19:51 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Your wishlist? May 16, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

As a fellow TO3000 user, I'd be interested in knowing what you'd like improved.

Myself, and for a start, I'd like this highly artificial distinction between "Clients" and "Projects" removed or at least made invisible to users...

Dan

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
my wishlist May 16, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

As a fellow TO3000 user, I'd be interested in knowing what you'd like improved.

Myself, and for a start, I'd like this highly artificial distinction between "Clients" and "Projects" removed or at least made invisible to users...

Dan

Hmm, it's been a while since I thought about it last, and I seem to have lost my wishlist. Let me see...

• some kind of search functionality in the program!!!
• automatic connection to some kind of online exchange rate website to get daily rates
• stop creating unwanted folders on my computer called "Invoices", and "Jobs" every time I create an invoice or job!!!
• when in list of stuff (invoices, jobs), ability to navigate up/down alphabetically by pressing keys on my keyboard
• make it so TO3000 automatically launches DirectoryOpus, and not Windows Explorer
• some kind of automatic email system to warn clients when invoices are overdue (like the free Proz.com Invoicing system has)
• improved visual usability of the calendar ("Schedule of client jobs")!!! + potential linking to Google Calendar
• cloud backup system
• automatic scheduled backup system

For the money, I think it should be possible to implement at least a few of these every few years.

MJWB

PS: I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'artificial distinction between "Clients" and "Projects"'.
Can you elaborate?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:59
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, please! May 16, 2016

• Ability to add a CLICKABLE link to the existing job folder (functionality promised long ago!) (at present there is a useless rudiment of this function only)
• search functionality in the program!!! - absolutely yes!
• stop creating unwanted folders on my computer called "Invoices", and "Jobs" every time a job is created!!! - absolutely yes!
• A warning when a job with exactly the same attributes (job nr, PO nr etc) is created

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 17:59
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ability to go to the payment from the invoice May 17, 2016

One thing that annoys me is that you can mark an invoice as paid, but can't go directly to the payment from there - you need to take a detour via the "payments" list.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmm May 20, 2016

No answer from AIT yet.

Michael

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Restrictions May 26, 2016

PS: I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'artificial distinction between "Clients" and "Projects"'. Can you elaborate?

Apologies for delayed response. I would like the separate "projects" section to be removed so that there is one consistent interface. There is a "Client Jobs" folder in the "Client" section and a "Client Jobs" folder in the "Projects" section. This is confusing. Why do they need to exist?

In addition I want to be able to access any function from any part of the software. For example, I have just gone to create a new invoice for a certain client for May's jobs. I go to the "Client" section, click on the "Client" icon, click on the "Invoices" tab and click on "New".

This throws up a dialog with "No uninvoiced client jobs found" - the only option is to click on "OK". So I click on the "Client Jobs" tab only to find that the "New" button is greyed out. This is counter-intuitive and confusing.

The problem is that no projects and jobs have been created, so no invoice can be created either. This is logical, but unhelpful. If no invoice can be created, why is the "New" button in "Invoices" not greyed out?

What should happen is this.
1) You click on "New" on the Invoices tab.
2) The software tells you that there are no client jobs, and reminds you that you must first create a project then add jobs to it. Instead of just "OK" it should also offer you the option "Create a New Project?" to click. Rather than stonewalling the user ("No, you can't do that") it should hold the user's hand. "You can't do that, but if you do X first you can do it, so click on this button" or similar.

Generally it's a solid little piece of software but idiosyncrasies like this make it much harder to use than it should be. I don't use it every day so straightforward operation is important to me.

EDIT: Here's a great example of this unwelcome quirkiness. Just now I went to the "Projects" tab in the "Clients" icon of the "Clients" section and clicked on "New" to make a new project. No problem. Then I clicked on the "Client Jobs" tab right next to the "Projects" tab but the "New" button was greyed out. It turns out that I have to move to the "Project" area of the "Projects" section, click on the "Client Jobs" tab and only then can I add new jobs. Infuriating and counter-intuitive.

I am seriously considering moving to QuaHill now that it offers a "Basic" edition for freelancers that is pretty fully featured - it's the full version with the vendor management stuff stripped out. So it would seem to support multiple currencies and so on, which would be useful for me. Not bad for £101 or £84 if you're VAT registered. Plus there's a nice upgrade path to the QuaHill full version if you ever need it.

Regards
Dan

[Edited at 2016-05-26 10:24 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what version of TO3000 do you have? May 26, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

PS: I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'artificial distinction between "Clients" and "Projects"'. Can you elaborate?

Apologies for delayed response. I would like the separate "projects" section to be removed so that there is one consistent interface. There is a "Client Jobs" folder in the "Client" section and a "Client Jobs" folder in the "Projects" section. This is confusing. Why do they need to exist?

In addition I want to be able to access any function from any part of the software. For example, I have just gone to create a new invoice for a certain client for May's jobs. I go to the "Client" section, click on the "Client" icon, click on the "Invoices" tab and click on "New".

This throws up a dialog with "No uninvoiced client jobs found" - the only option is to click on "OK". So I click on the "Client Jobs" tab only to find that the "New" button is greyed out. This is counter-intuitive and confusing.

The problem is that no projects and jobs have been created, so no invoice can be created either. This is logical, but unhelpful. If no invoice can be created, why is the "New" button in "Invoices" not greyed out?

What should happen is this.
1) You click on "New" on the Invoices tab.
2) The software tells you that there are no client jobs, and reminds you that you must first create a project then add jobs to it. Instead of just "OK" it should also offer you the option "Create a New Project?" to click. Rather than stonewalling the user ("No, you can't do that") it should hold the user's hand. "You can't do that, but if you do X first you can do it, so click on this button" or similar.

Generally it's a solid little piece of software but idiosyncrasies like this make it much harder to use than it should be. I don't use it every day so straightforward operation is important to me.

EDIT: Here's a great example of this unwelcome quirkiness. Just now I went to the "Projects" tab in the "Clients" icon of the "Clients" section and clicked on "New" to make a new project. No problem. Then I clicked on the "Client Jobs" tab right next to the "Projects" tab but the "New" button was greyed out. It turns out that I have to move to the "Project" area of the "Projects" section, click on the "Client Jobs" tab and only then can I add new jobs. Infuriating and counter-intuitive.

I am seriously considering moving to QuaHill now that it offers a "Basic" edition for freelancers that is pretty fully featured - it's the full version with the vendor management stuff stripped out. So it would seem to support multiple currencies and so on, which would be useful for me. Not bad for £101 or £84 if you're VAT registered. Plus there's a nice upgrade path to the QuaHill full version if you ever need it.

Regards
Dan

[Edited at 2016-05-26 10:24 GMT]

Yes, I also keep looking at QuaHill myself.

Hey, what version of TO3000 do you have, as I don't recognise the problem you are describing. I remember sth stupid, which a few versions ago they changed or made optional. Maybe related to the projects/clients issue you are having. I can't find a "Projects" section in my version.

I have: version 11.0.3, build 61

Michael

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
With Projects Mode May 26, 2016

I have the Professional version, also version 11.0.3 build 61.
I am using it in With Projects Mode (click Settings option and then click Workflow Modes). The pros and cons of this mode are covered in the Help file.

Dan

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Without Projects Mode" May 26, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

I have the Professional version, also version 11.0.3 build 61.
I am using it in With Projects Mode (click Settings option and then click Workflow Modes). The pros and cons of this mode are covered in the Help file.

Dan

Wouldn't selecting "Without Projects Mode" (as I have) solve your problem?

Michael

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Sadly not what I want May 26, 2016

I do actually group multiple jobs under a single project for some clients, to reduce banking transaction costs for companies in Japan or the US.

Typically I do this by bundling jobs for that month all together, so "BigClient May 2016", would in turn contain "BigClient Company XYZ financial report", "BigClient Company ABC automotive research" and so on. Also for some projects I charge for OCR and/or DTP and in such cases it again comes in useful.

I like the facility to group jobs, I just wish they rationalised the interface in that mode.

Dan

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
aha May 30, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

I do actually group multiple jobs under a single project for some clients, to reduce banking transaction costs for companies in Japan or the US.

Typically I do this by bundling jobs for that month all together, so "BigClient May 2016", would in turn contain "BigClient Company XYZ financial report", "BigClient Company ABC automotive research" and so on. Also for some projects I charge for OCR and/or DTP and in such cases it again comes in useful.

I like the facility to group jobs, I just wish they rationalised the interface in that mode.

Dan

OK, I see. However, I just create a separate job for each separate billable item, and then group them all into an invoice when I feel like it, so have never really seen the use of the extra Projects layer.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AIT Support answered my request for info: Jun 1, 2016

here's what they said:

ME:

"Hi guys, I just asked a question over at Proz.com about the new version. Please have a look:

There are a number of features that I have been asking for, for years, which still haven't been implemented, but which keep being promised. As usual, I have been shopping around, looking at the competition, and there seem to be a few decent online com
... See more
here's what they said:

ME:

"Hi guys, I just asked a question over at Proz.com about the new version. Please have a look:

There are a number of features that I have been asking for, for years, which still haven't been implemented, but which keep being promised. As usual, I have been shopping around, looking at the competition, and there seem to be a few decent online competitors popping up here and there.

Michael"

THEM:

"Dear Michael,
Thank you for contacting us.

At the moment we concentrate our efforts on Projetex 3D and AnyCount 3D development.
Hopefully these two products will be released soon and we will move forward to Translation Office 3D.

Please keep an eye on updates.

Best Regards,
Mikhail Sergievskiy
Technical Support Expert
Advanced International Translations
http://www.translation3000.com/"

PS: installed and had a look at Quahill, but the program seems awfully slow, and not any less confusing (perhaps more) than TO3000. Add to that the fact that I don't feel like wasting weeks of my time moving everything over to a new system, and I will probably be sticking with what I know!
Collapse

We invite you to take part in Translation Office 3000 3D Beta Testing Apr 26, 2017

Dear translators,

Advanced International Translations is pleased to announce that the beta release of Translation Office 3000 3D is now available. It will allow to test and evaluate the new version of TO3000.

AIT team is excited to offer you the opportunity to participate in the beta testing. We believe that it will help us to elevate TO3000 to a higher quality level before the release.

Take this opportunit
... See more
Dear translators,

Advanced International Translations is pleased to announce that the beta release of Translation Office 3000 3D is now available. It will allow to test and evaluate the new version of TO3000.

AIT team is excited to offer you the opportunity to participate in the beta testing. We believe that it will help us to elevate TO3000 to a higher quality level before the release.

Take this opportunity and email us at [email protected].

If during beta testing you find the program helpful and would like to buy it, we will provide you with a decent discount for either new licenses or upgrades to 3D version.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

[Відредаговано 2017-04-26 14:52 GMT]
Collapse

Try Translation Office 3000 3D Beta Version May 6, 2017

TO3000 3D beta release is now available.

Try the program and find out how easy you can cope with managerial and accounting routine with the new 3D version. Download now from http://www.translator3000.com.

Send your comments and suggestions about the beta version to [email protected] by 10th May 2017

The AIT Tea
... See more
TO3000 3D beta release is now available.

Try the program and find out how easy you can cope with managerial and accounting routine with the new 3D version. Download now from http://www.translator3000.com.

Send your comments and suggestions about the beta version to [email protected] by 10th May 2017

The AIT Team
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When will the new version of TO3000 ("Translation Office 3D"?) be released?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »