Jessica Franceschina
Jessica Franceschina
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:10
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 29, 2016

Dear all,

I would really appreciate your help on this.

I would like to pursue a traineeship as a subtitler in New York City but don't know who to contact, so I would like to get names of companies that specialize in subtitling or companies that you know offer this kind of opportunity or companies that you've done your subtitling traineeship with!

I finished my MA in translation and interpreting 3 years ago, so I'm not really looking for an unpaid short inte
... See more
Dear all,

I would really appreciate your help on this.

I would like to pursue a traineeship as a subtitler in New York City but don't know who to contact, so I would like to get names of companies that specialize in subtitling or companies that you know offer this kind of opportunity or companies that you've done your subtitling traineeship with!

I finished my MA in translation and interpreting 3 years ago, so I'm not really looking for an unpaid short internship, but for a longer and possibly paid traineeship.

I have experience in translation and interpreting, but none in subtitling, and I would love to kick start my career in this field in the US. I'm European, so would need a J1 sponsorship for this.

You cannot imagine how much search I've already done by myself on the topic, but haven't come up with anything useful yet. I count on you!

For example, who do big production companies like Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures commission their movies for subtitling to? Translation agencies in California rather than on the east coast? Do they do it internally? If so, where can I find email addresses of people that would actually read my email?

Thank you so much for any sort of help you may give.

Jessica
Collapse

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 11:10
Estonian to English
+ ...
studios Nov 29, 2016

Big studios commission work from major subtitling companies like Deluxe, SDI, Technicolor, BTI etc They do not deal with translators themselves - anyway, translation is a tiny part and cost of comissioning work like this, most of it would be digital mastering and technical stuff.

Most of the major subtitling companies would be based either in Burbank or Santa Monica, Los Angeles, with offices in India. There's another bunch of companies based in London/Stockholm.
New York woul
... See more
Big studios commission work from major subtitling companies like Deluxe, SDI, Technicolor, BTI etc They do not deal with translators themselves - anyway, translation is a tiny part and cost of comissioning work like this, most of it would be digital mastering and technical stuff.

Most of the major subtitling companies would be based either in Burbank or Santa Monica, Los Angeles, with offices in India. There's another bunch of companies based in London/Stockholm.
New York wouldn't be much of a location, although some of the majors might have an office there (Deluxe, Techniclolor). It's a very California-based business and New York is too expensive for having a major physical office.
Also, around 99% of subtitlers work at home, so it does not matter where the office is based. Most of the actual office work like translator and project management has been farmed to India (Bangalore usually).
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 05:10
Russian to English
+ ...
Not to mention that translation in general is not much of a job in the US Nov 30, 2016

At least not in a corporate setting, as an employee. A business, perhaps, if you know how to run it as such and make it worth your while. For the most part, it's but an excuse for a middle-aged, somewhat literate immigrant not to have to punch the clock in some godawful real estate or insurance office five days a week - and still, miraculously, scramble a living:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Traineeship as a Subtitler in New York City possibly or US in general

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »