CafeTran is (and has been) free for Plus subscribers
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:51
SITE FOUNDER
Jun 22, 2018

I know there are some who are unaware, but CafeTran can be used without limitations for free by Plus subscribers. You just login through the tool, and you won't be asked for a license code.

(Go Poland!) (Though not against Japan.)

Igor Kmitowski
Ute Scheu
Will Helton
Rox-Edling

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 21:51
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Scaring people away? Jun 23, 2018

Contrary to what a large number of postings here on ProZ may make you believe, CafeTran can be used without any regular expressions, macros, AppleScript, Keyboard Maestro and others. In fact, as a CafeTran user since 2010, I recommend not using any of the above, unless you know what you are doing, and very few people do. Including that poster.

CafeTran is terrific.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:51
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Hans van den Broek: Jun 23, 2018

What other CafeTran users post or do not post is not really any of your business. If that other person enjoys using CafeTran in combination with a few macros, who cares? Live and let live, if you ask me. CafeTran is indeed a terrific program, and probably the best CAT tool currently available. Let's not get bogged down in politics, shall we? There's enough of that going on out there in the real world these days.

Michael

PS: Isn't it about time you got yourself your own
... See more
What other CafeTran users post or do not post is not really any of your business. If that other person enjoys using CafeTran in combination with a few macros, who cares? Live and let live, if you ask me. CafeTran is indeed a terrific program, and probably the best CAT tool currently available. Let's not get bogged down in politics, shall we? There's enough of that going on out there in the real world these days.

Michael

PS: Isn't it about time you got yourself your own Proz profile, rather than using someone else's? It seems particularly unfair of you to criticise "that poster", while masquerading as a young lady who is native in Indonesian, while you are in fact none other than the infamous Hans van den Broek, an older Dutch gentleman, famous for being angry (and a few other things).
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Ute Scheu
Will Helton
Rox-Edling

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
On topic Jun 24, 2018

To stay on topic, there is one limitation: you have to be online and connect to your ProZ profile when launching CafeTran in order to take advantage of your ProZ Plus membership and use the software without limits. With a regular full licence, CafeTran can be used without limits, even if you are offline.
On the upside, with the ProZ Plus membership, once you connect to your ProZ profile, you can use the unlimited version
... See more
To stay on topic, there is one limitation: you have to be online and connect to your ProZ profile when launching CafeTran in order to take advantage of your ProZ Plus membership and use the software without limits. With a regular full licence, CafeTran can be used without limits, even if you are offline.
On the upside, with the ProZ Plus membership, once you connect to your ProZ profile, you can use the unlimited version of CafeTran on any computer, while the regular full licence is for up to two computers (but if you get a new one, you can still request a new licence within your support period).

However, I would not call this "free for Plus subscribers", since you still have to take into account the price difference between the Plus and the Standard package. To be more precise, I would say ProZ Plus members can enjoy full access to CafeTran Espresso as part of their Plus subscription.

Still one of the best advantages this package has to offer, if you ask me.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-06-24 07:17 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Free if you pay Jun 24, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
However, I would not call this "free for Plus subscribers", since you still have to take into account the price difference between the Plus and the Standard package.

I believe that that is splitting hairs a bit. To say that something is free because you have paid for something or something else, meaning that it is not actually "free" but is "paid for" because is included in the price of the other thing, is quite common, at least in the English language.

Hans Lenting

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Indeed Jun 24, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

I believe that that is splitting hairs a bit.

Yes, I guess it is. But it does not hurt to make the original statement more explicit, especially after drawing a comparison with the regular (paid) full licence options.

It's all free if you pay.

Jean

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran is (and has been) free for Plus subscribers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »