Rox-Edling
Rox-Edling
Germany
Local time: 13:58
Spanish to German
+ ...
Sep 26, 2018

The new beta version of CafeTran has among others one new feature:

• ignoring short (fewer than 4 characters in length) upper-case words in spellcheck

This feature avoids that an user must add dozens of acronyms to his user dictionary. I am unsure if this is a clever idea, as typos in short uppercase words will then remain undetected, at least with the spellchecke... See more
  • The new beta version of CafeTran has among others one new feature:

• ignoring short (fewer than 4 characters in length) upper-case words in spellcheck

This feature avoids that an user must add dozens of acronyms to his user dictionary. I am unsure if this is a clever idea, as typos in short uppercase words will then remain undetected, at least with the spellchecker.

The pro opinion of this feature says:

• "there is far less work spotting any 3-letter upper-case spelling mistakes, not to mention low probability of making them, than adding such words to user's spell checker dictionary.
    • I don't remember seeing a spelling error in 3-letter upper case words in real texts

I won't repeat my arguments here, but I want a real feedback form colleague about their practice and routine work. Am I perhaps overestimating the negative effects of this feature?

What do you think? ▲ Collapse

•  
    DZiW (X)
    DZiW (X)
    Ukraine
    English to Russian
    + ...
    A user must? Sep 26, 2018

A user must add acronyms? While I prefer to work in MS Word via WordFast, enjoying built-in spellchecking/highlighting, I'm sure there're many people who either use only specific/approved glossaries or don't use them at all.

However, I would agree with you that many acronyms are less than five letters (let alone homographs!), what might compromise the consistency.

Rox-Edling
    Rox-Edling
    Germany
    Local time: 13:58
    Spanish to German
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    ... in the meantime ... Oct 4, 2018

... this feature has been set to optional.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newest feature - good or not good?

CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »