Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:41
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Nov 21, 2016

Dear colleagues,

Has anyone recently used the term extraction application provided by IATE? After selecting input file and output folder, languages, and a domain, I click on "Start" and the app says "Please wait...", but it doesn't seem to do anything? Am I doing anything wrong?

I'm running the latest Java version on Win7 on Parallels.

Many thanks for any help,
kind regards,
Erik

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
works here! Nov 21, 2016

if all else fails, there is always: http://santrans.net/ (highly recommended ready-made packages for any CAT tool, with many improvements over doing it yourself)

Michael

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 22, 2016

Dear Michael,

Thanks for the feedback - no idea what's happening here.

I know Henk's offer, and I've bought from him some years ago. Just thought I'd try the extraction app, too.

Regards,
Erik

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Possible issues Nov 22, 2016

Erik Freitag wrote:

Am I doing anything wrong?

I've just tried it with "your" languages DE, EN, NL. It worked with Windows 10 Pro.

Possible issues:

- Some tools don't accept folder or file names with spaces or non-ASCII letters

- Your host OS is a Mac OS, right? So try a "real" Windows via Bootcamp.

- Some IATE's files are not flawless (see Henk's explanation). So, maybe my Java instance on Win 10 works while you Java instance on Win 7 fails.

- Maybe the tool fails if you choose certain domains. (I tried the "Any domain" setting.)

BTW, such IATE extract files work well with the Omni-Lookup tool. Omni-Lookup is able to read .tbx directly. Because many IATE entries consist of lengthy phrases instead of single words, Omni-Lookup's sophisticated wildcard search is THE means for getting results quickly while hiding unwanted hits. www.omni-lookup.de

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's not just you, Erik Nov 23, 2016

I can't get the extraction tool to work either. "Please wait..." appears and nothing happens. I've tried it with Windows 10 Home, running Java version 8 update 112, and Windows 7 Home, running Java version 8 update 111. I've tried different folder locations (including the root directory), different languages, Extract ALL and Extact ANY selected languages, Any domain or a variety of specific domains, and with two different IATE zip files, one from the IATE website, the other the Spanish/English ... See more
I can't get the extraction tool to work either. "Please wait..." appears and nothing happens. I've tried it with Windows 10 Home, running Java version 8 update 112, and Windows 7 Home, running Java version 8 update 111. I've tried different folder locations (including the root directory), different languages, Extract ALL and Extact ANY selected languages, Any domain or a variety of specific domains, and with two different IATE zip files, one from the IATE website, the other the Spanish/English extract (https://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/07/22/a-few-bilingual-tbx-resources/). Maybe it works with an older version of Java?

In the end, using some previous threads on the matter, I've used a trial of Xbench to import the Spanish/English TBX file and export an Excel file (thanks for the suggestion, Michael! https://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/07/13/what-a-whopper/). MultiTerm is currently working on it.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Memory issue? Nov 23, 2016

Kevin Clayton wrote:

I've tried it with Windows 10 Home, running Java version 8 update 112

There is no Java 8 update 112. Typo or a "strange" version? Here, it works flawlessly with 8 update 111.

Do you have a 32 bit Windows or a 64 bit version? How much RAM do you have? If you have only 4 GB RAM **AND/OR** a 32 bit Windows, the usable range is about 3.3 to 3.7 GB (Windows plus running apps), depending on your hardware.

So there might be less than 2 GB for apps. Supposing that the IATE app tries to load the .tbx file into the RAM you'd run into trouble because the lenght of the IATE file is 1.97 GB. Could this be the issue?

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
You were right, Rolf! Nov 23, 2016

Rolf Keller wrote:

- Some tools don't accept folder or file names with spaces or non-ASCII letters

This must be the problem. I didn't think it would be the cause of the problem because the folder doesn't contain any non-ASCII characters. Maybe it's the spaces or even just the overall address length? Anyway, I copied the ZIP file and the extract tool to a new folder just off the root directory and ran the program and it worked!

Thanks!

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works after getting rid of spaces and umlauts in path Nov 23, 2016

Dear Rolf,

Thanks a lot for your hint - after copying the relevant files to a different folder without spaces and umlauts, the extraction works just fine!

And thanks also to everyone else!

Kind regards,
Erik

[Edited at 2016-11-23 12:28 GMT]

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sorry, not sure why I didn't see your message when I last responded Nov 23, 2016

Rolf Keller wrote:

There is no Java 8 update 112. Typo or a "strange" version? Here, it works flawlessly with 8 update 111.

Do you have a 32 bit Windows or a 64 bit version? How much RAM do you have? If you have only 4 GB RAM **AND/OR** a 32 bit Windows, the usable range is about 3.3 to 3.7 GB (Windows plus running apps), depending on your hardware.

So there might be less than 2 GB for apps. Supposing that the IATE app tries to load the .tbx file into the RAM you'd run into trouble because the lenght of the IATE file is 1.97 GB. Could this be the issue?

Java 8 update 112 is the latest version, which you can get if you download Java Runtime Environment: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Anyway, you were right about the problem being the folder name! Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IATExtract.jar

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »