Thread poster: Yvonne Gallagher
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Goodbye Jack Jun 18, 2019

May you rest in peace. My condolences to all his loved ones.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Local time: 12:04
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No response from Staff re suggestion to have full profile shown of deceased members? Jun 24, 2019

or, as stated earlier, at the very least a short version of their profile with the salient facts, and a summary of their contributions to the site (with appropriate links).

Many people have agreed with this request. Surely it should be possible to see the profile when clicking on it, rather than just an "In memorium" note simply giving the date of death?

Yes, contributions to forums and to Kudoz remain visible but it would be nice to have the profile visible too so tha
... See more
or, as stated earlier, at the very least a short version of their profile with the salient facts, and a summary of their contributions to the site (with appropriate links).

Many people have agreed with this request. Surely it should be possible to see the profile when clicking on it, rather than just an "In memorium" note simply giving the date of death?

Yes, contributions to forums and to Kudoz remain visible but it would be nice to have the profile visible too so that new members will get some sense or inkling of the person, especially one such as Jack RIP who was a translator for such a long time and was obviously very highly respected in the community, particularly in his language pairs.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christel Zipfel
Christine Andersen
Barbara Carrara
writeaway
David Lin
Angus Stewart

Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk
Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
Russian to English
+ ...
A brilliant example of professionalism Jul 20, 2019

My condolences to Jack's family...

I have never meet Jack personally, but we communicated on several occassions, and I will always remember his helpful answers, well thought through comments and intelligent hunour.

Jack Doughty has always been — and will be — an example of professionalism and commitment to excellence in the profession: competent, knowledgeable and always ready to help and generous in sharing his solid experience.

Rachel Fell
Barbara Carrara
Yvonne Gallagher
writeaway
Andrew Poloyan
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:04
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
My deepest condolences Jul 28, 2019

Browsing through the forum, I just found out that Jack has passed away. Although haven't met him in person, it was a real pleasure and privilege knowing him through the Proz community, namely through KudoZ and the forum. May his soul rest in peace.

Yvonne Gallagher
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthew Doughty
Matthew Doughty
United Kingdom
Jacks Grandson May 9, 2021

Hi there Everyone i want to say a big thank you i never knew my grandad had this big of a following on Prez i really apprecaite the messages and i now know how much my grandad meant to everyone he was a person the influenced me so much and i loved him so much so to everyone who was on here thank you so much you do not know what going through here means to me i have never seen so much love to my grandad in one place So to everyone here thank you so much just thank you its been 2 years but i thank... See more
Hi there Everyone i want to say a big thank you i never knew my grandad had this big of a following on Prez i really apprecaite the messages and i now know how much my grandad meant to everyone he was a person the influenced me so much and i loved him so much so to everyone who was on here thank you so much you do not know what going through here means to me i have never seen so much love to my grandad in one place So to everyone here thank you so much just thank you its been 2 years but i thank you all i always wanted to write this but i never got the chance. I know the each one of you put a piece in his life and i apprecaite that

Thanks
Your sincerly
Matthew Doughty
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dear old Jack May 9, 2021

Matthew Doughty wrote:

Hi there Everyone i want to say a big thank you i never knew my grandad had this big of a following on Prez i really apprecaite the messages and i now know how much my grandad meant to everyone he was a person the influenced me so much and i loved him so much so to everyone who was on here thank you so much you do not know what going through here means to me i have never seen so much love to my grandad in one place So to everyone here thank you so much just thank you its been 2 years but i thank you all i always wanted to write this but i never got the chance. I know the each one of you put a piece in his life and i apprecaite that

Thanks
Your sincerly
Matthew Doughty

Just heard about this now. So sorry to hear about Jack, who was one of those "presences" in these forums that you could always trust to be sensible and, usually, witty as well. May he rest in peace, which I'm sure he is, and probably smiling.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Liviu-Lee Roth
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
writeaway
Barbara Carrara

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good old Jack May 9, 2021

Hell, I missed this one. Don't know how that got past me. A very knowledgeable and amusing man, Jack. I remember his tales of Russia and the Russians. He always sounded like he was in his 30s or 40s, so modern and all, but I remember looking up his profile, and the dates showed he must have been quite elderly, but seemed to still be translating right to the end.

P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Christel Zipfel

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

RIP Jack Doughty

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »