Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2017

Does anyone know a good way to delete all dead text images in a Word file?

I just spent an hour deleting images in a 200 page document one-by-one. I may have missed a couple, who knows?

Does anyone know of an automatic way of doing this?

Francisco César Manhães Monteiro
Francisco César Manhães Monteiro  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:36
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Use replacement box Jul 6, 2017

Insert ^g in the Word replacement box and ask to replace with nothing

[Editada em 2017-07-06 20:16 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Special utility Jul 6, 2017

I believe I remember seeing mention of a utility that will extract all images from a doc and then put them back in place (if you want!)

But our colleague's suggestion sounds even simpler!

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
^g in the search box does it Jul 6, 2017

Francisco César Manhães Monteiro wrote:

Insert ^g in the Word replacement box and ask to replace with nothing

Francisco, you are brilliant! Works like a charm.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you! Jul 7, 2017

Francisco César Manhães Monteiro wrote:
Insert ^g in the Word replacement box and ask to replace with nothing.

Wow. I did not know this! In this case, Microsoft's designers were not too intuitive. In the Find/Replace box (click More to expand it), when you click Special, the pop-up list contains Graphic (in Spanish Gráfico)... They should have written this as "Graphic or Image" to make this clear.

I have used these toggles to replace things for thirty years and never thought of trying all different options, but will do so as soon as I have a minute. It is possible that when someone thought of a "graphic" thirty years ago they would think in DTP terms, i.e. anything that is not copy text. Today, with a more visual way of using information systems in general, I guess that we think of "graphic" and "image" as clearly distinct things. It would not harm for Microsoft to have separate options for "graphics" (i.e. graphical representations of information, as can be produced with Excel, for instance) and "images" (photographs, artistic renderings, screen captures, etc...).

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
A .dot file Jul 7, 2017

Tony M wrote:
I believe I remember seeing mention of a utility that will extract all images from a doc and then put them back in place (if you want!)

Yes, you very likely refer to ImagesOutIn, by Miri Ofek.

Cheers,

Hans

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
An option Jul 7, 2017

One method I sometimes use is to save the whole document as TXT, then resave it as Word, or copy and paste the text into a blank Word doc. Only trouble is that all the format is also removed.

I must try Francisco's ^g solution next time...

NB: Just tried it and I can't find the ^ symbol on my keyboard. Tried the Alt + 94 method suggested in the link below, but all it does for me is open a new blank do
... See more
One method I sometimes use is to save the whole document as TXT, then resave it as Word, or copy and paste the text into a blank Word doc. Only trouble is that all the format is also removed.

I must try Francisco's ^g solution next time...

NB: Just tried it and I can't find the ^ symbol on my keyboard. Tried the Alt + 94 method suggested in the link below, but all it does for me is open a new blank document. For now, I can use the workaround of copy+pasting the symbols from the table provided here:

https://tools.oratory.com/altcodes.html

[Edited at 2017-07-07 07:31 GMT]
Collapse

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:36
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
A similar question Jul 7, 2017

I was in a similar position about a couple of weeks ago, when I had to remove bigger part of a text consisting of 175 pages, which was to be translated by fellow translators. I spent about half an hour marking the redundant textt.

How could I remove the text from a certain point of the file to the end of the document?

Cheers,
Georgi

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
F8 is your friend! Jul 7, 2017

Georgi Kovachev wrote:
How could I remove the text from a certain point of the file to the end of the document?

I don't know about the latest versions, but in older versions of Word, F8 lets you peg the current cursor position in the document, then Ctrl + End lets you go to the end of the document, selecting everything since F8 — and then you just delete.

Of course, the same technique using F8 can be used with any other intermediate point in the docuent too — just click again at the end of the section you wish to mark, and then it will be selected and you can do whatever you need to with it.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Why is that a problem? Jul 7, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Wow. I did not know this! In this case, Microsoft's designers were not too intuitive. In the Find/Replace box ... the pop-up list contains Graphic... They should have written this as "Graphic or Image" to make this clear.

I don't think there is really a problem here: 'graphic' simply means everything that isn't text; 'visuals' in advertising parlance. In the 'Options' menu, it is less clear, as they use the term 'drawings', which does seem to me a bit less obvious. Though of course, throughout Word they use the term 'drawing object', so I suppose we are assumed to be familiar with that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleting all images in a Word file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »