Poll: What percentage of your translation work is direct or indirectly related to COVID-19?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 5, 2021

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percentage of your translation work is direct or indirectly related to COVID-19?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rocio Barrientos. View the poll results »

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:43
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Practically none at all. May 5, 2021

There is the occasional obligatory mention of observing restrictions, or a mention in a report of the year's activities, but most of the work that comes is not related to Covid-19. The reports would have to be translated anyway.

It is more a case of work that is cancelled, and does not appear at all.
Last year an agency directly mentioned at least two regular clients by name who were not able to manufacture their products, and therefore were not marketing them. So there was no
... See more
There is the occasional obligatory mention of observing restrictions, or a mention in a report of the year's activities, but most of the work that comes is not related to Covid-19. The reports would have to be translated anyway.

It is more a case of work that is cancelled, and does not appear at all.
Last year an agency directly mentioned at least two regular clients by name who were not able to manufacture their products, and therefore were not marketing them. So there was nothing from them to translate.

Many of the museums and tourist destinations I sometimes work for are closed, and they are all desperately short of money, so they are recycling earlier information about their exhibitions. Instructions about distancing, hygiene or other restrictions are standard or home-made. There are pictograms, and everyone knows them by heart anyway!
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Aline Amorim
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Between 10 to 49% May 5, 2021

Work related to COVID-19 has been extremely variable as with the exception of two direct-related clinical trials all the rest has been indirectly related. I don’t know exactly my percentages but I know when and how many words I’ve translated or edited in this field:

2020 June 4,530 words
July 16,385 words
September 3,865 words
November 3,539 words
December 3,133 words
2021 January 6,867 words
February 12,547 words
March 23,653 word
... See more
Work related to COVID-19 has been extremely variable as with the exception of two direct-related clinical trials all the rest has been indirectly related. I don’t know exactly my percentages but I know when and how many words I’ve translated or edited in this field:

2020 June 4,530 words
July 16,385 words
September 3,865 words
November 3,539 words
December 3,133 words
2021 January 6,867 words
February 12,547 words
March 23,653 words
April 1,702 words
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
< 10% May 5, 2021

Last year the Covid-19 related projects were in the 25 - 40% range, but this year they cover less than 10% of my projects.

Liena Vijupe

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:43
Member (2008)
Italian to English
None or all May 5, 2021

Q: "What percentage of your translation work is direct or indirectly related to COVID-19?".
A: All of it (because it was done during the various lockdowns we've had here) OR none of it (because none of my translations had Covid as the subject matter)

MollyRose

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:43
Portuguese to English
+ ...
What work? May 5, 2021

What translation work? The situation is very, very, very bad here.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Indirect May 5, 2021

I am finding that COVID does crop up in quite a few translations but it's not really what the documents are about. Some companies are marketing features of their products as an extra protection measure against COVID while others talk about changes in work practices and the shift from offices to remote working.

Liena Vijupe

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
None really May 5, 2021

I would be surprised if this question was asked last year. I have also submitted one poll concernnig covid in January, but that would not really be applicable now.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
German to English
Hardly any May 5, 2021

Although I've translated or edited dozens of medical-related articles in the past 2 years, i can recall only two treating Covid-19. I assume that as more data are collected regarding the aftereffects and methods of responding to the pandemic, there will be more articles on the topic.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Either 0% or 90% May 5, 2021

Nearly everything I do is about whether various numbers have gone up or down in the past year, and whether they will be going up or down in the coming year, both of which are heavily dependent on developments in the Covid pandemic.

But I’d still be doing the same analyses and forecasts had Covid never happened.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... May 5, 2021

minus 30–40 %

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Less than zero. May 5, 2021

Apart from a couple of short texts at the beginning of the pandemic, about how my clients were adapting to the situation by working from home as far as possible, I don't recall anything else directly COVID-related.

[Edited at 2021-05-05 16:30 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:43
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Less than 10% May 6, 2021

Although I see a lot of influence of the pandemic in the documents I translate, I do not translate in the health area, so almost none of my documents are actually related to the Covid-19.

Tradupro17
Tradupro17
United States
Local time: 04:43
English to Haitian-Creole
+ ...
90% May 6, 2021

90% since last year!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percentage of your translation work is direct or indirectly related to COVID-19?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »