Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Possible harvesting of CVs: I got a feeling.....
Thread poster: Eric CM
Eric CM
Eric CM  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:51
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Sep 15, 2014

Hey folks,
I received an email from a person registered here at ProZ stating that this is a legit op and not a scam.
I invite this person to post here and give tangible proof of this, I'd love to be proven wrong and in that case I will be the first to apologize.
But I consider this behaviour unprofessional, and for my (limited) experience it raised a huge warning flag.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Why? Sep 15, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Why didn't I get one?

They probably knew better than to send you such an unprofessional email.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It's OK; I've had an email from them now Sep 15, 2014

Thayenga wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Why didn't I get one?

They probably knew better than to send you such an unprofessional email.

They've just sent me a rather more professional one through my profile, as they did with the OP, Eric CM. I'm now happy that it is a legit company, a start-up that has taken a wrong turning right from the blocks. You don't need to apologise for anything, Eric. OK, it isn't a scam, but it certainly sounded like it. At its best it's extremely poor marketing.

I've been told the person behind it will be posting here after vetting. But I'm not sure ProZ.com will want them to do their marketing here.

taiber
taiber
Israel
A few clarifications... Sep 15, 2014

Hello again!

I would like to clarify a few things (and I hope proZ will be kind enough to post this, i am NOT trying to advertise my company, rather defend it from those accusing us of being a scam...):

1. We told no lie. the email in question is the SECOND one we sent over the past few weeks as part of our strategy to reach out and inform translators of our new service. As of THIS MOMENT - over 3000 translators chose to register, so we did tell the truth that thousands
... See more
Hello again!

I would like to clarify a few things (and I hope proZ will be kind enough to post this, i am NOT trying to advertise my company, rather defend it from those accusing us of being a scam...):

1. We told no lie. the email in question is the SECOND one we sent over the past few weeks as part of our strategy to reach out and inform translators of our new service. As of THIS MOMENT - over 3000 translators chose to register, so we did tell the truth that thousands have joined.

2. Our type of service is new to this industry. As i wrote the respected Sheila Wilson on a personal mail which i will share: while all other sites that i am aware of belong to TRANSLATION COMPANIES that act as "brokers" - we are an online marketplace, a search engine for service providers in the industry and we are NOT a translation company.
The real news is this: other sites determine the price for you, they will, typically, "force" a price on the translator and, if you want the work - fine.
We HOWEVER allow translators to determine their own pricing - if you went through the registration process, you probably noticed we asked for your pricing.
Price is one of the parameters given to the client as part of their comparison shopping process.

When a client will select you (when registered of course) through our service - you are immediately notified and asked to log into your account, view the project details and choose to accept the job, or decline, in which case the job will "go" to the next translator in line.

Thus, as we claim, translators have more control over the process than they do with other websites.

3. We are a true, legit company, and I am a true, legit executive in it. if you visit our website, in the about us section - you can also find our address.

4. am also the person who wrote Eric CM with some explanations.

5. you are all welcome to check our website as well as Facebook page!

Anyone is welcome to write me and the staff through our contact us tab, we will reply!

Isaac Taiber
VP of Business Development
Smartlation

[Edited at 2014-09-15 19:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-15 19:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-15 20:50 GMT]
Collapse

Denise Idel
Denise Idel
Israel
Local time: 13:51
Hebrew to Romanian
+ ...
No scam Sep 15, 2014

Hi,
I am a translator. I have been on PROZ since 2007.
I know this company and the people behind it. I am associated with them and would just like to say they are for real, no scam there.
Denise

Eric CM
Eric CM  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guess I was wrong Sep 16, 2014

Glad this is a legit op and it was all a misunderstanding. Thank you for clarifying everything Isaac and I do apologize for raising the issue.
As I wrote before, the first email that I received was very suspicious, and I wanted to share it with my fellow translators.
All the best,
Eric.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Thank you for the explanation, Isaac Sep 16, 2014

The only part of the email that I thought was misleading was: "We would like to start by thanking you and the thousands of translators worldwide, who have taken the opportunity and registered with SMARTLATION.COM in the past weeks…"

The way this was phrased implied that I had registered, which was not the case.

Best of luck with your company!

taiber
taiber
Israel
Glad this is resolved. Sep 16, 2014

Thank you Eric and no worries, I understand your concern and am glad we managed to clarify the matter and resolve the suspicion!

Elizabeth, I am glad i could write, explain and communicate with you.

And thank you Denise for the vote of confidence, we appreciate that!

Hope to see Eric, Elizabeth, Sheila and everyone else here register and become part of our family for many years to come!

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Such platform Sep 16, 2014

[quote]taiber wrote:

2. Our type of service is new to this industry.
The real news is this: other sites determine the price for you, they will, typically, "force" a price on the translator

is nothing new and of course no (?) platform fixes its own price.

James Shipp
James Shipp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
Russian to English
Smarlation Nov 9, 2014

After scouring the Internet and reading all the posts here, I have decided not to get involved. "Great respects to all" (lol), Jim

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Sent through another translation website. Nov 9, 2014

I wondered where they got my e-mail address from and on inspecting the full e-mail header, found that the mass e-mail was sent from a gmail addresss (as someone else already mentioned) through another translation website [return path: [email protected]

[Edited at 2014-11-09 13:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-09 13:37 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:51
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
If the membership is free Nov 9, 2014

where will be the profit of the company come from?

Also, how is this platform different to Proz and some other similar sites?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Jonatas Ribeiro de Andrade
Jonatas Ribeiro de Andrade  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Rather unprofessional Jul 15, 2018

[Editado em 2018-07-15 20:26 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible harvesting of CVs: I got a feeling.....

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »