Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 24, 2019

FWIW, I got contacted yesterday by one valerie john <[email protected]> about a potential translation job.

Service needed
Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document worth 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated into Afrikaans I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you
... See more
FWIW, I got contacted yesterday by one valerie john <[email protected]> about a potential translation job.

Service needed
Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document worth 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated into Afrikaans I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can Thank you.
Best regards.

I replied positively, and got this reply:

Hello, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 26/September/2019.Finally, I'm proposing a cashier check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Best Regards

Along with a 44-page attachment, starting with...

PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH
PHASE 1
What do organizations use conflict management for?
For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization need to have a shared vision of what they are striving to achieve, as well as clear objectives for each team / department and individual. You also need ways of recognizing and resolving conflict amongst people, so that conflict does not become so serious that co-operation is impossible. All members of any organization need to have ways of keeping conflict to a minimum - and of solving problems caused by conflict, before conflict becomes a major obstacle to your work. This could happen to any organization, whether it is an NGO, a CBO, a political party, a business or a government.
Conflict management is the process of planning to avoid conflict where possible and organizing to resolve conflict where it does happen, as rapidly and smoothly as possible.
Important things to know about "conflict" and "conflict management":
The differences between "competition" and "conflict"
"Competition" usually brings out the best in people, as they strive to be top in their field, whether in sport, community affairs, politics or work. In fact, fair and friendly competition often leads to new sporting achievements, scientific inventions or outstanding effort in solving a community problem. When competition becomes unfriendly or bitter, though, conflict can begin - and this can bring out the worst in people.

This particular variant of the scam has also been reported here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/arr6mo/scam_public_organization_procedures_research/

[Edited at 2019-09-24 10:32 GMT]
Collapse

Manuel Bravo
Judith de Puente
Carlos Cisneros
Laura Bissio CT
Tairan He
Irina Banks
Sarah Xing

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Samuel Sep 24, 2019

Her (?) name is listed in the Scammers Directory though then the book was in French “Procédures de gestion des conflits dans une organisation publique – Phase 1 de recherche...

Nicole Abbott

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:39
German to English
Things must be getting tough in the scam industry Sep 24, 2019

Now they're approaching experienced translators. I must admit that the variations involving "interviews" using Google Hangout (whatever that is!) are a clever variation. Scammers appear to be proliferating almost as quickly as translation agencies. I'd be curious to hear from agency owners (surely there are some lurking here) regarding clever scams – apart from fake CVs – they've encountered.

Judith de Puente
mimine44
Sima Sharifi
RM RM

Xiaonuo Li
Xiaonuo Li
Canada
Local time: 06:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
I was contacted yesterday with the same content. Oct 10, 2019

Yesterday, I was contacted by one and the message left to me was:
" Greeting,
My name is Scott I'm contacting you in regard to an
English content document.I need this document translate into
Chinese.I would like
to know if you are interested and available to get this done
for me. For more details Please get back to
([email protected] ) as
soon as you can.

Best Regards,
Scott "

I applied to the email "spark
... See more
" Greeting,
Chinese.I would like
([email protected] ) as
soon as you can.

Best Regards,
Scott "

I applied to the email "[email protected]" and today I got the same reply as you did as follows:
"Hello,
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 28th/October/2019.Finally, I'm proposing a Cashier Check.and it will clear your bank before you send the document .? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards.
Scott"

The attached file is the same as you described: "PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1

For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization need to have a shared vision of what they are striving to achieve, as well as clear objectives for each team / department and individual. You also need ways of recognizing and resolving conflict amongst people, so that conflict does not become so serious that co-operation is impossible. All members of any organization need to have ways of keeping conflict to a minimum - and of solving problems caused by conflict, before conflict becomes a major obstacle to your work. This could happen to any organization, whether it is an NGO, a CBO, a political party, a business or a government.

Conflict management is the process of planning to avoid conflict where possible and organizing to resolve conflict where it does happen, as rapidly and smoothly as possible.

Important things to know about "conflict" and "conflict management":"

In total there are 44 pages.

I am pretty sure this is a spam. Be CAREFUL everyone!
Collapse

Fernando de Siqueira Rodrigues
RM RM
Pujing Pan

Kateryna Melnychenko
Kateryna Melnychenko  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:39
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Xiaonuo Li, Oct 29, 2019

I also received this request to translate from English into Russian.
He said that he will send an advance payment via mail (the check). Today is supposed to be the day to start working and I feel that something is wrong here.
Have you had any communication with him after that?

Xiaonuo Li wrote:

" Greeting,
Chinese.I would like
([email protected] ) as
soon as you can.

Best Regards,
Scott "

I applied to the email "[email protected]" and today I got the same reply as you did as follows:
"Hello,
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 28th/October/2019.Finally, I'm proposing a Cashier Check.and it will clear your bank before you send the document .? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards.
Scott"

The attached file is the same as you described: "PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1

Important things to know about "conflict" and "conflict management":"

In total there are 44 pages.

I am pretty sure this is a spam. Be CAREFUL everyone!

[Edited at 2019-10-29 01:36 GMT]

Carlos Cisneros

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Don't do it! Oct 29, 2019

Kateryna Melnychenko wrote:

Today is supposed to be the day to start working and I feel that something is wrong here.

EVERYTHING is wrong here.

Stefanie Huffman
Carlos Cisneros
Liviu-Lee Roth
Luis Rodriguez

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've just received a series of identical emails Nov 19, 2019

This time for an EN>SP translation:

Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document worth 11,638 words (44 Pages). I need this document
translated into Spain. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can via email (address). Thank you.

--------------

Hello, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I
... See more
This time for an EN>SP translation:

Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document worth 11,638 words (44 Pages). I need this document
translated into Spain. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can via email (address). Thank you.

--------------

Hello, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 22th of November/2019. Finally, I'm proposing a cashier check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

This time the person's name is Mark Lofgren.

I've told him that I'm no longer available for work.
Collapse

Manuel Bravo
Carlos Cisneros
Laura Bissio CT

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The person also wanted to chat using Google Hangouts Nov 19, 2019

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Now they're approaching experienced translators. I must admit that the variations involving "interviews" using Google Hangout (whatever that is!) are a clever variation. Scammers appear to be proliferating almost as quickly as translation agencies. I'd be curious to hear from agency owners (surely there are some lurking here) regarding clever scams – apart from fake CVs – they've encountered.

Google Hangout is communication software, which I only use to chat with my granddaughter. When the person started sending me messages, I immediately told him that I don't usually chat to strangers.

Geoffrey Black

Judy Neuman
Judy Neuman
United States
English to Yiddish
+ ...
So what is actually wrong with this? Nov 23, 2019

Did anybody do the translation and not get paid?

Benoit Esmein
Benoit Esmein  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2017)
English to French
+ ...
It is an overpayment scam Nov 26, 2019

I fell for this scam earlier this year (in June, so before any mention was made of it on ProZ).

Person presented themselves as Anne May

There were red flags, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I did the work and received a check (for an amount way higher than the amount due, which was supposed to cover phase 2) which I proceeded to check, and which turned out to be fraudulent.

They immediately pretended that phase 2 of their seminar was
... See more
I fell for this scam earlier this year (in June, so before any mention was made of it on ProZ).

Person presented themselves as Anne May

There were red flags, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I did the work and received a check (for an amount way higher than the amount due, which was supposed to cover phase 2) which I proceeded to check, and which turned out to be fraudulent.

They immediately pretended that phase 2 of their seminar was cancelled or pushed back, and asked me to refund the amount overpaid.

I said I wouldn't be refunding anything until their check had cleared. I realised too late that this was a scam.

As a result of the false check, my bank froze my bank accounts for 2 weeks, and I lost 16 hours of work. Fortunately, though, I had the good sense not to send any money.

These scams seem to become more and more frequent. I have been working for 5 years, never had one before, and I had 4 this year.
Collapse

sweetsaso
Barbara Elkedwani
Juliette2309
Luis Rodriguez
Kristina Campbell
Nadine Michelle Ducca
Ann Cheung

Paweł Hamerski (X)
Paweł Hamerski (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
it is not so as this scam is present here for a few years already Nov 26, 2019

Benoit Esmein wrote:

This and similar ones.

Catherine Kellogg
Catherine Kellogg
United States
English to French
+ ...
Received same email from "Mary Jade" <[email protected]> requesting a translation into French Nov 29, 2019

This email sounded fishy from the start which brought me to this forum.
"Mary Jade" is an unregistered user with IP address: 66.115.169.225

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Please read about the overpayment scam Nov 29, 2019

JudyN wrote:

Did anybody do the translation and not get paid?

Read what happened to Benoit.

It is a recycled seven-years old scam.

Solange Carmo
Solange Carmo  Identity Verified
United States
English to Portuguese
Mary jade attacks again! Dec 6, 2019

I just received the same request from Mary Jade.

"Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content
document worth 11,800 words (60 Pages). I need this document
translated into Portuguese, I would like to know if you
are interested to get this done for me. Please get back to
me as soon as you can via email ([email protected]).

Thank you,
Mary

And again...

Hello, I'm pleased to know you are in
... See more
I just received the same request from Mary Jade.

"Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content
document worth 11,800 words (60 Pages). I need this document
translated into Portuguese, I would like to know if you
are interested to get this done for me. Please get back to
me as soon as you can via email ([email protected]).

Thank you,
Mary

And again...

Hello, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this
project. However, I will require your service to translate the
attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm
your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation?
The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from
15/December/2019.Finally, I'm proposing a cashier check or bank
certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if
this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Best Regards,
Mary

Thank you so much for letting us know about this SCAM. I will not be another victim!
Collapse

chrisropers (X)
chrisropers (X)
United States
Local time: 07:39
English to French
+ ...
Same scam for an English to French translation Dec 6, 2019

Thank you very much for posting information about this scam. I was contacted by a Mary Jade as well ([email protected]) to translate the same document into French. The first messages were identical to those already posted above by Solange.

mimine44

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »