Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:30
French to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 4, 2020

Patrick ARBAUT wrote:
Well, to recap, seems nothing more than an update which one must pay for...

However, Trados crashes can be so frustrating and time-consuming, that any update that reduces the pain will be well worth it over time.

If this is your main work tool and if the new version is more stable, even before discussing additional features, using the newest version is the way to go.

My 2 cents,
Sandra

Spamalot

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:30
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Unsubstantiated Jul 4, 2020

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:
...and if the new version is more stable, even before discussing additional features, using the newest version is the way to go.

I feel that's a rather large "if", but in any case how can we, as end users, quantify those claims in advance? Ultimately we end up just swapping anecdotes. "Mine's fine." "Mine's a disaster". "Oh, you must have done something wrong then". "Er, don't think so, I actually found 2015 better" - and so on.

Personally, I haven't noticed recent releases being more reliable. Indeed, the first iteration of 2019 caused a problem of some kind with packages, I forget exactly what, which led to me revert to 2017 until 2019 SP1 was delivered. 2019 seems equivalent to 2017 for my work in terms of stability, but it certainly hasn't generated any improvements in productivity over 2017 that I can quantify. Currently my installation is OK, and I am loath to mess around with it unless 2021 offers verifiable, clear-cut advantages to freelancers.

Marketing promises are just words, and what matters is how works under real-world conditions. I am watching with mild interest, but in no hurry to upgrade.

Regards,
Dan

Joe France
Maurits Meulenbelt
Wojciech_ (X)
Stepan Konev
Teplocteur
boostrer

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 21:30
English to Polish
+ ...
My experience Jul 17, 2020

I'm currently using the 2017 version, but out of curiosity some time ago I installed the demo of the 2019. Unfortunately, for the project I was translating at that time (a readable PDF document), the 2019 version didn't go beyond the project preparation stage, at the end informing me of some error. The 2017 version took some time to process the document, but allowed me to open it and translate. So... a different experience, really.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A bone for early birds Jul 20, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
Allow me summarize the relevant parts of what Jost wrote in his subscription newsletter:
1.6 MOST IMPORTANTLY: the online version will not be free. Initially, all users of the desktop version will have 1 year's free access to the online version, but after that, the online version will be an optional paid extra.

Buyers who made use of the early bird offer have been given an extra 3 months of online usage (so, 15 months instead of 12). But it would have been nicer if the fact that this is not included in the full price was made clearer when the product was initially made available for sale.

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Yup Aug 4, 2020

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
the online version will not be free. Initially, all users of the desktop version will have 1 year's free access to the online version, but after that, the online version will be an optional paid extra.

So, they're highlighting the online version as the main reason to upgrade your desktop app but next year they'll ask you to renew the online app by paying for it separately? This does not make any sense.

Well there had to be a catch somewhere, it was weird to me they will offer for free what everybody else charge subscription for (cloud access), so yea, there it is I guess.

Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
As I always ask ... Aug 12, 2020

... will it be x64? Any major upgrade of the large TM/TB handling mechanisms?

Or all cosmetics once again?

Does Cloud functionality works in the beta trial?

Spamalot
Spamalot
Austria
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
What I thought too but really .... Oct 16, 2020

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:

However, Trados crashes can be so frustrating and time-consuming, that any update that reduces the pain will be well worth it over time.

That is what I thought -- but alas, it is crashing as many times and as regularly as 2019 and it still has the same annoying -- truly annoying bugs as before: like the m*f* message window cannot be closed once called up accidentally by a delayed key combination that I can't even reproduce and delete, so that every time this happens I have to close the document(s), which is time consuming because as the other non-fix, Trados 2021 still takes forEVER to open or load things or even itself, with no advantage at all in terms of time compared to 2019 and further they are still refusing to make the "show the quick access bar" below the "whatever they call the ribbon" all the time each time you start Trados (as in "save settings on exit"), so that one has to do this every single time the program crashes, which it does a lot, and it is so boring and so annoying -- I strongly recommend everyone to hold off from upgrading to 2021 (if you have 2019) because otherwise there is no, absolutely no difference other than the filters, which are non-essential.

Very annoyed right now because of the stupid message window simply not going away right now

And not to forget: the Termbase integration works as badly as before as well

I cannot believe the money I have spent on an "advanced filter function" that I haven't even used a single time yet with one major un-improvement at the same time: when you save your translation that is not done yet, you cannot see an accurate word count in the translation confirmation view on the files screen -- so your only option (which is not enough when doing several jobs at once) is to check the confirmation statistics inside of the editor view -- my question: Dear SDL, how on earth could this have happened?

[Edited at 2020-10-16 12:55 GMT]

James Muir
James Muir  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 04:30
Chinese to English
Clouds Nov 1, 2020

The part about working from any browser is interesting to me, but only because I use Mac OS

I have not touched Trados since back in Spring I think when I still had access to a windows machine.

I used to think Trados was indispensable, yet somehow I have been in WF5 for half a year using no MT, and aside from its own stupid little gremlins, I have been quite happy overall with just using mine n remote TMs.

However, and back on the SDL topic here, at some poi
... See more
The part about working from any browser is interesting to me, but only because I use Mac OS

I have not touched Trados since back in Spring I think when I still had access to a windows machine.

I used to think Trados was indispensable, yet somehow I have been in WF5 for half a year using no MT, and aside from its own stupid little gremlins, I have been quite happy overall with just using mine n remote TMs.

However, and back on the SDL topic here, at some point a Trados job - one big enough to be worth doing - will turn up. Then I have to weigh up whether to cloud it, or...

Can I add this Live thing on to Studio 2019 thru my account.? Or do I have to buy 2021?

Is it fully featured and independent of Studio, in that I would not have to go and turn on Studio periodically to do something or allow it to "update" or something?

If I am being forced to use 2021 plus Live so as to use my iMac with it thru Live. Then I
may as well toss up whether I just go n build a mini PC instead and stick with Studio 2019 in windows - as if getting to this cloud will cost 500 US, I can build a.new computer here at that coin.

All this sounds a bit daft to me now that I have typed all that on a mobile. Maybe I can just work Trados files in WF5 and forget about spending money to earn biennially like this.
Collapse

Remy van Tol
Remy van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
Clouds? Dec 13, 2020

Don't be too enthusiastic about the cloud function. I installed 2021 and 'Create a Cloud Project' crashes the program with a 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error. I also get a 'No internet connection' error. Applying translations from the TM gives random search errors. This all within the first 10 minutes of trying out the new version. This is so typical of every new version of SDL Trados. It all looks the same, apart from the splash screen, but it's still horribly progra... See more
Don't be too enthusiastic about the cloud function. I installed 2021 and 'Create a Cloud Project' crashes the program with a 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error. I also get a 'No internet connection' error. Applying translations from the TM gives random search errors. This all within the first 10 minutes of trying out the new version. This is so typical of every new version of SDL Trados. It all looks the same, apart from the splash screen, but it's still horribly programmed and by the time it's somewhat functional through service packs, a new version is released.Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Object reference not set to an instance of an object Dec 13, 2020

Remy van Tol wrote:
I installed 2021 and 'Create a Cloud Project' crashes the program with a 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error.

Suggestion to SDL: To get rid of this error for once and forever, which accompanies Studio since its first version (2009) and for many types of bugs, the SDL programmer (or the third party IT instance SDL occasionally employs) simply should rewrite this message (=assign a different text message), and nobody would be annoyed by it anymore.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-12-13 20:15 GMT]

expressisverbis
Luca Tutino
Remy van Tol

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
Wish me luck. Dec 26, 2020

I used free CAT tools so far but decided to invest when there was a group buying available on Proz with a 45% reduction if at least 40 people applied, finally it was like 45.

At this price point, I think it is a good investment but I'll have to learn a lot to use it properly.

Just getting ready to download it.

Time will tell, but there are so many job offers requiring Trados or some of the Big Three.

Cheers

Sanjin

[Edited at
... See more
I used free CAT tools so far but decided to invest when there was a group buying available on Proz with a 45% reduction if at least 40 people applied, finally it was like 45.

At this price point, I think it is a good investment but I'll have to learn a lot to use it properly.

Just getting ready to download it.

Time will tell, but there are so many job offers requiring Trados or some of the Big Three.

Cheers

Sanjin

[Edited at 2020-12-26 00:23 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sanjin Dec 27, 2020

Sanjin Grandić wrote:
I decided to invest when there was a group buying available on Proz with a 45% reduction...

Before you do *anything else*, contact the local reseller of your country to find out if you can get it even cheaper than in the Group Buy. I'm not sure if Trados considers Croatia to be a poor country, but if so, the local reseller may have the ability to knock up to 50% off of the price, in addition to any additional discounts that currently apply. Not all local resellers do that -- we've heard about Chinese resellers that actually try to sell the product for *more* than Trados itself -- but typically a reseller will want to give you a special deal. I'm not sure if you can still weasel out of the Group Buy deal, but get on the phone today.

Sanjin Grandić

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
Thank you Samuel but it is tooo late. Dec 27, 2020

Hi Samuel

thank you so much for your advice but I already completed the purchase.

Wish I knew that earlier but still, it was much cheaper than the full price.

Have a great day

Sanjin

Wojciech Sztukowski
Wojciech Sztukowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
Ok, so... Mar 20, 2021

1. Is character counting both in source and in target a standard feature, or do we have to wait until Trados 2027?
2. Is adding more than one AutoSuggest dictionary at once, with CTRL pressed, possible, or do we have to wait until Trados 2029?
3. Has the absurd problem with slow termbase display depending on the screen position been solved, or do we have to wait until Trados 2031?
4. Do I still have to use an add-in to add term with one click, just by selecting the words in sou
... See more
1. Is character counting both in source and in target a standard feature, or do we have to wait until Trados 2027?
2. Is adding more than one AutoSuggest dictionary at once, with CTRL pressed, possible, or do we have to wait until Trados 2029?
3. Has the absurd problem with slow termbase display depending on the screen position been solved, or do we have to wait until Trados 2031?
4. Do I still have to use an add-in to add term with one click, just by selecting the words in source and target, or do we have to wait until Trados 2033?

Thank you for your answers!
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:30
French to English
+ ...
:) Mar 22, 2021

Wojciech Sztukowski wrote:
4. Do I still have to use an add-in to add term with one click, just by selecting the words in source and target, or do we have to wait until Trados 2033?

Hi Wojciech,
Here is my take on your gripes:
1. No need to wait. Use the Target Word Count free app. I assume it also displays target characters.
2. No need to add any AutoSuggest dictionaries. The fragment match extracts terms from any TM that you upgrade.
3. The slow termbase display is your own problem. I don't have it.
4. Adding terms with one click is what I do all the time. Make your own, easily-remembered shortcut.

HTH,

[Edited at 2021-03-22 13:52 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2021 is coming soon!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »