How to translate .AI - Illustrator files using Trados
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 13:09
English to German
+ ...
Nov 26, 2007

I have a small booklet of about 50 pages with a few pictures. The customer demands that it be translated using trados, if there was a working method, i would know it. Can anyone help me. Brandis

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-11-26 20:21]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Workaround, if you have AI Nov 26, 2007

then use T-Window for Clipboard.
It is quite intensive workload, I admit, but nevertheless you can translate any editable text with it.

Jerzy

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Try svg Nov 26, 2007

You might try exporting to svg (which is supported directly by TagEditor). Naturally, first translate a small sample, import it to Illustrator and see how does it look.

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Sysfilter Nov 26, 2007

I've been using "Sysfilter for Illustrator" for several years
It's expensive but it's a great help for some jobs.

Florence

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:09
English to Greek
+ ...
When you find a solution to this Nov 27, 2007

Dear Brandis, when you find a solution to this, could you please share?

Many thanks!

Lina

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SVG or sysfilter is the question now... Nov 27, 2007

Hi thank you for the valuable tips. I have downloaded SVG and shall try. Since it is a freeware, it automatically gets priority, but I am also trying the sysflter. I have just now requested for a trial. I shall keep you posted on this further. Best regards, Brandis

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
svg ???? Nov 27, 2007

Brandis wrote:

Hi thank you for the valuable tips. I have downloaded SVG and shall try. Since it is a freeware, it automatically gets priority, but I am also trying the sysflter. I have just now requested for a trial. I shall keep you posted on this further. Best regards, Brandis

Hi Brandis,

in my opinion, SVG is a file format. Is there a program with the same name ? Can you please pot the link.

Thanks

Hans

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sourceforge Nov 27, 2007

DSC wrote:

Brandis wrote:

Hi Brandis,

in my opinion, SVG is a file format. Is there a program with the same name ? Can you please pot the link.

Thanks

Hans
It is at sourceforge.net freeware. Best regards, Brandis

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
SVG = scalable vector graphics Nov 27, 2007

Actually, I meant the format (what you are referring to is probably an SVG editor).

Just save your AI graphic as .svg file, import it in Tag Editor, translate, export from TE and open back in Illustrator.

As I said before, the results might not be optimal, it may be different for different graphics.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SVG is certainly not going Nov 27, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

Actually, I meant the format (what you are referring to is probably an SVG editor).

Just save your AI graphic as .svg file, import it in Tag Editor, translate, export from TE and open back in Illustrator.

As I said before, the results might not be optimal, it may be different for different graphics.
After the installation it starts for a moment and gets out. Sysfilter I could ascertain from my old database, it is still the best sofar. Thank you all for the attention . Best regards, Brandis

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Use AI Nov 27, 2007

Brandis wrote:

After the installation it starts for a moment and gets out.

After installation of what? You should be able to save to SVG from within AI. Therefore you need two pieces of software for this: Adobe Illustrator and Trados.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jabberwock.. Nov 27, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

Brandis wrote:

After the installation it starts for a moment and gets out.

After installation of what? You should be able to save to SVG from within AI. Therefore you need two pieces of software for this: Adobe Illustrator and Trados.
Now I cannot afford to lose any more time on this and hence implementing the ECM Plug-in. Once the project is over I shall certainly try SVG again. Thank you all the same Best regards, Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solved... Nov 29, 2007

the ECM-Plug-in solution was it. I have just now completed the book upgrading from illustrator 10 to 11 cs2 format. But I do not get enough of these projects to buy the ECM variant. It is very expensive. Brandis

mikem2012
mikem2012
Local time: 15:09
Translating *.ai files in Trados Studio using Dynamic text variables. Sep 19, 2017

Hello, everybody, it's better late than never, the last post in this branch was as far as in 2007 and I think this problem is solved but anyway, I want to show my solution.
I use Illustrator Dynamic text variables feature, create specific xml-filter for Trados Studio and for TagEditor and two scipts to automate this work.
This is much cheaper than out-of-the box paid plugins and the whole workflow is fully controllable.
The link to video of my example workflow (English to Russi
... See more
Hello, everybody, it's better late than never, the last post in this branch was as far as in 2007 and I think this problem is solved but anyway, I want to show my solution.
I use Illustrator Dynamic text variables feature, create specific xml-filter for Trados Studio and for TagEditor and two scipts to automate this work.
This is much cheaper than out-of-the box paid plugins and the whole workflow is fully controllable.
The link to video of my example workflow (English to Russian translation) is on Youtube:
https://youtu.be/iepp_lGkKY0

[Edited at 2017-09-19 13:49 GMT]

Added 2017-09-20
Just for example I publish below my ini file contents for Trados 2007
To use it you can make empty text file, open it in plain-text editor (I use AkelPad), then paste the contents of my ini (below) and save in Unicode encoding (UTF-16 LE). Then change the extension to *.ini and you can add it to your Tag Settings in Trados 2007.

[GeneralSGMLSettings]
CaseSensitive=No
DTDSpecification=
DTDSpecificationType=None
DOCTYPE=svg
DescriptiveName=Adobe Illustrator Dynamic Text Filter
[Tags]
Tag1=Variable1:External
Tag2=p:External
Tag3=Variable2:External
Tag4=variable:External
Tag5=svg:External
Tag6=variables:External
Tag7=--end--
DefaultTagStyle=External
[FormatMappings]
DefaultTextFormat=Not Bold,Not Italics,Not Underline,Not DoubleUnderline,Not Strikethrough,Not Subscript,Not Superscript,Not SmallCaps,Colour:Black,Size:10.0,Face:Arial
DisableFontTag=No
Map1=--end--
[Symbols]
DontConvert=No
ISOamsa=No
ISOamsb=No
ISOamsc=No
ISOamsn=No
ISOamso=No
ISOamsr=No
ISObox=No
ISOcyr1=No
ISOcyr2=No
ISOdia=No
ISOgrk1=No
ISOgrk2=No
ISOgrk3=No
ISOgrk4=No
ISOlat1=No
ISOlat2=No
ISOnum=No
ISOpub=No
ISOtech=No
HTMLspecial=No
HTMLsymbol=No
XmlDefault=No
AddSymbol1=--end--
SkipSymbol1=--end--
[ReaderSettings]
KeepLineBreaks=No
KeepLineBreaksAfterPunctuation=No
AllowTranslatableScripts=Yes
MetaCharsetTreatment=Add
XmlLangEmitMode=Leave
Utf8BomHandling=Preserve
[Viewer]
External=0
Path=

[Edited at 2017-09-20 11:12 GMT]
Collapse

Ute Neumaier
Ute Neumaier  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
Spanish to German
+ ...
need to translate an ai-file in Trados Studio 2017 and I don´t have AI installed, who can help? Oct 14, 2017

I have to translation only one file for a client. I don´t have adobe illustrator installed. Checked the the SDL support and they recommend 3 options: 1. AI Text Convert (which does not seem to exist anymore. the SDL support said that they would convert the ai file to xml which trados can work with.) However, did not get any further.
The other two option seem to require to have Adobe Illustrator installed.
I have investigated quite a lot, have also read the last comment in this conv
... See more
I have to translation only one file for a client. I don´t have adobe illustrator installed. Checked the the SDL support and they recommend 3 options: 1. AI Text Convert (which does not seem to exist anymore. the SDL support said that they would convert the ai file to xml which trados can work with.) However, did not get any further.
The other two option seem to require to have Adobe Illustrator installed.
I have investigated quite a lot, have also read the last comment in this conversation form MIkem2012, but its gets too technical for me. Sind this conversation has stared some years ago maybe inbetween somebody has an easier solution? Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks Yte
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate .AI - Illustrator files using Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »