Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 1, 2020

Hello everyone

I'm doing a lot of work for a client who wants me to use their Chrome-based CAT tool which doesn't have very good time-saving functionality w.r.t. repetitive text. Sometimes I encounter a segment that is highly similar to one just a few segments previously, but since the previous sentence's translation hasn't been reviewed yet (by the client's reviewer), it doesn't come up in the translation memory pane. Or, sometimes I have to type a word or pair of words that I ha
... See more
Hello everyone

I'm doing a lot of work for a client who wants me to use their Chrome-based CAT tool which doesn't have very good time-saving functionality w.r.t. repetitive text. Sometimes I encounter a segment that is highly similar to one just a few segments previously, but since the previous sentence's translation hasn't been reviewed yet (by the client's reviewer), it doesn't come up in the translation memory pane. Or, sometimes I have to type a word or pair of words that I have already typed several times in the past few minutes, even if there would not be a TM match for it anyway.

So I was hoping for a program that keeps track of what I type, and then suggest words or phrases based on what I type later. Do you know of such a program?

On previous operating systems, I used LetMeType, which can suggest phrases of up to three words long, but it currently doesn't really work in any of my programs. I tried Typing Assistant, but it only remembers single words unless specific phrases are loaded into its memory. So Typing Assistant is great for long words, but not for phrases and near complete sentences.

Can you recommend any program for me? It doesn't have to be free or cheap.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:18
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
PhraseExpress? Oct 1, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
So I was hoping for a program that keeps track of what I type, and then suggest words or phrases based on what I type later. Do you know of such a program?

I found the Autocomplete function of PhraseExpress annoying, so I turned it off pretty early on, but I think it may do what you want. I find PhraseExpress a very useful piece of software in general, both for text expansion and for launching apps and websites.

For text expansion I find the "first three letters and last letter" rule for the target rule works well, so "parr" expands immediately into "particular". Sorry, that was a bit of a non sequitur, wasn't it?

I also tested Typing Assistant and thought it was impressive in some ways, but didn't select it for various reasons. Again, it has a predictive feature. That was four years ago, and it has probably improved considerably since then.

Dan

Darius Sciuka

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TextExpander for Chrome or Windows Oct 2, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

I've been using this in a previous version on my Macs for years now.

The 'new' version uses the cloud and is cross-platform.

Suggest Snippets

TextExpander can suggest new snippets based on what you type. After you have typed the same group of characters, letters or words enough times, it will suggest you create a snippet. All the snippet suggestions are collected in a Suggested Snippets group where they remain without abbreviations. You may choose to ignore them, add an abbreviation to complete them, or delete them.

Download: https://textexpander.com/cgi-bin/redirect.pl?cmd=download&platform=windows

Alas, it's not as smart as auto-completion (auto-suggestion): you'll have to assign abbreviations yourself ...

[Edited at 2020-10-02 07:10 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:18
English to German
+ ...
I have been using... Oct 2, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello everyone

I'm doing a lot of work for a client who wants me to use their Chrome-based CAT tool which doesn't have very good time-saving functionality w.r.t. repetitive text. Sometimes I encounter a segment that is highly similar to one just a few segments previously, but since the previous sentence's translation hasn't been reviewed yet (by the client's reviewer), it doesn't come up in the translation memory pane. Or, sometimes I have to type a word or pair of words that I have already typed several times in the past few minutes, even if there would not be a TM match for it anyway.

On previous operating systems, I used LetMeType, which can suggest phrases of up to three words long, but it currently doesn't really work in any of my programs. I tried Typing Assistant, but it only remembers single words unless specific phrases are loaded into its memory. So Typing Assistant is great for long words, but not for phrases and near complete sentences.

Can you recommend any program for me? It doesn't have to be free or cheap.

Thanks
Samuel

...Typing Assistant (Windows only) for quite some years. You don't have to define shortcuts, it's predictive and can be very useful. I did non upgrade from v8.1 as it's enough for my needs and has become very expensive (149$).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-learning generic autotext for Windows

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »