Thread poster: Heidi Lind
Heidi Lind
Heidi Lind  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:42
English to German
+ ...
May 28, 2009

I've found a few posts about this but I still have not much of an idea how to go about and what to charge in my situation. There's a company who occasionally sends me requests for voiceover jobs. It sounds interesting and I'd really like to get into it. I have never provided voiceover services nor do I have a demo tape. So that would be step one. How do I get a demo? I probably cannot just plug in my microphone and start speaking. And how much would one charge for a job with the following descri... See more
I've found a few posts about this but I still have not much of an idea how to go about and what to charge in my situation. There's a company who occasionally sends me requests for voiceover jobs. It sounds interesting and I'd really like to get into it. I have never provided voiceover services nor do I have a demo tape. So that would be step one. How do I get a demo? I probably cannot just plug in my microphone and start speaking. And how much would one charge for a job with the following description:

Subject matter is Health and Safety for Oil & Gas. (E-Learning)

It is a 2.5 hours elearning course

Approx. 10000 words for Voiceover (MP3 neutral voice female talking into the PC/Laptop)

Special requirements to the applicants: Good knowledge of Safety and Engineering terms.
Collapse

Heidi Lind
Heidi Lind  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:42
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PS May 29, 2009

PS: Translation is NOT required.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A couple of ideas Jun 2, 2009

Hi Heidi,
I did some voiceovers quite some years ago, and at that time I went into a recording studio to do a demo. Nowadays, though, you could probably make a demo in wav. or mp3 format with a digital hand-held recorder, and it wouldn't surprise me if some companies also accepted the work itself being done this way. I'm not sure about this, of course, because I haven't done this kind of work in quite a few years. But it would be worthwhile your asking around. I paid around $300 for my dig
... See more
Hi Heidi,
I did some voiceovers quite some years ago, and at that time I went into a recording studio to do a demo. Nowadays, though, you could probably make a demo in wav. or mp3 format with a digital hand-held recorder, and it wouldn't surprise me if some companies also accepted the work itself being done this way. I'm not sure about this, of course, because I haven't done this kind of work in quite a few years. But it would be worthwhile your asking around. I paid around $300 for my digital recorder. If it's something you could use for voiceover work, it would be worth that small investment, I would think.

Good luck!

p.s. Sorry, can't help you with the charges...it's been too long.
Collapse

Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
I'm in the middle of a VO job right now Jun 2, 2009

Heidi Lind wrote:
How do I get a demo? I probably cannot just plug in my microphone and start speaking. And how much would one charge for a job with the following description:
It is a 2.5 hours elearning course
Approx. 10000 words for Voiceover

2.5 hours of recording is usually approx. 8-10 hours studio time. The going rate is approx. $200/h, (in the US) although some people offer lower rates - still much higher than usual interpreting rates.
Many companies offer paid time to get familiar with the script - it's usually approx. 1/3 of the studio rate.
Most often there is a coach, someone to listen to you while you are recording. Coaches are paid approx. the same rate as your prep rate.

As for the demo - there is tons of great underutilized studios ready to do a professional demo for you for $200-300. And everyone can tell if your demo was done on a small digital recorder in a typical room, or on a Marantz in the sound-proof studio, believe me. You are going to pay for it with the first two hours of your first job!
Good luck!

[Edited at 2009-06-02 04:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another voiceover question

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »