Jay Kim
Jay Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 17:47
English to Korean
+ ...
Dec 18, 2007

Hi all,

I have no experience in voice-over. My voice is exceptional though. Very clear, pure and appealing. I always wanted to start in voice-over. A US company approached and asked me to record and send voice-over sample for auditioning. I am supposed to act out script and record my voice on computer for 3 minute. Then send them voice file by e-mail. I like to know what would be the best software I can use for this. Have seen voice-over samples in MP3 or Media Player. I am l
... See more
Hi all,

I have no experience in voice-over. My voice is exceptional though. Very clear, pure and appealing. I always wanted to start in voice-over. A US company approached and asked me to record and send voice-over sample for auditioning. I am supposed to act out script and record my voice on computer for 3 minute. Then send them voice file by e-mail. I like to know what would be the best software I can use for this. Have seen voice-over samples in MP3 or Media Player. I am looking for sound software which has good sound quality and is easy to handle.

Before starting from scratch, I need help from colleagues with good experience in voice-over.

Best,

Jay

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-30 14:37]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:47
French to Spanish
+ ...
I can't... Dec 18, 2007

...advise about specific voice recording softwares.
But, if you're asking for help, let me tell you one first thing:

"My voice is exceptional though. Very clear, pure and appealing."

Well, that's what you say, here. What does your client says?
In this market, clients need a lot of voices: young, old, slow, happy, institutional, fresh, serious, etc.

What you say is a very good start, but absolutly not enough.

Voice-over, voice-off
... See more
...advise about specific voice recording softwares.
But, if you're asking for help, let me tell you one first thing:

"My voice is exceptional though. Very clear, pure and appealing."

Well, that's what you say, here. What does your client says?
In this market, clients need a lot of voices: young, old, slow, happy, institutional, fresh, serious, etc.

What you say is a very good start, but absolutly not enough.

Voice-over, voice-off and dubbing require education of your voice: breathing, speed, intonation, no fear in front of a microphone, etc. In other words, you almost need to be an actor. You should, in my opinion, take some training if you want to get into major leagues.

Knowing 2 languages doesn't make you a translator, we know that.
Same thing here: Having a good voice doesn't make you good in voice-over/dubbing.

Best of lucks, though.
Collapse

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:47
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Sony Dec 18, 2007

Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio...is very easy to handle. Plus you can edit what you have recorded.

I have been using this software for years and recommended it to colleagues for voice over. It costs around $100.00

Kathi

jemo
jemo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:47
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Don't forget a good quality mic Dec 18, 2007

Hi Jay,

Before you invest, you might want to try your hand at a free software that has plenty to offer, it's called Audacity and you can download it at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. It's easy to use, allows you to record, edit and get your mp3 ready to go.

"Adobe Audition" is another one but costs around $300.

But the most important for your sound quality, whe
... See more
Hi Jay,

Before you invest, you might want to try your hand at a free software that has plenty to offer, it's called Audacity and you can download it at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. It's easy to use, allows you to record, edit and get your mp3 ready to go.

"Adobe Audition" is another one but costs around $300.

But the most important for your sound quality, when it comes to equipment, is the microphone (invest your money there to start,) and the environment in which the recording will take place (no background noise, no computer humming, etc.). A computer mic will not cut it.

Also think that voiceover is much more than a voice, no matter how beautiful it is, it's about acting, having the ability to convey a message with your voice, to make it sound credible. In that respect the quality of the voice is not the only, and may be not the main factor.

You'll find many tips, technical and otherwise, including the rates to charge, as well as samples from big pros in the business, for instance on http://voice123.com/
The forum is at: http://voiceoversavvy.com/

Good luck!

[Edited at 2007-12-18 21:12]

[Edited at 2007-12-18 21:12]
Collapse

Eva Straus
Eva Straus  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 10:47
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I have an arrangement with a local studio Dec 19, 2007

Hi Jay,

I recently started doing voice-overs and I decided against investing into any professional software for voice recording and processing; instead I simply go to a nearby studio, make a recording and have it processed by the studio staff.

It takes max one hour studio time to make and finalise a 20-minute recording and the quality is vastly superior to anything I could have produced at home or in my office.

Jay Kim
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to all.. Seek a little more help with technial things Dec 25, 2007

Thanks for kind inputs. I do know my good voice alone cannot make me start in voice-over. I definately need to educate myeslf and practice skills as I am supposed to act out with script like voice actor. This what I am going to do next. Most companies ask for samples in MP3 for screening and I like to record and put a couple of MP3 voice-over samples on my page. Only mic I have is one on Plantronics headset I use for Skype. I definately need quality mic and have to invest there first. Can anyone... See more
Thanks for kind inputs. I do know my good voice alone cannot make me start in voice-over. I definately need to educate myeslf and practice skills as I am supposed to act out with script like voice actor. This what I am going to do next. Most companies ask for samples in MP3 for screening and I like to record and put a couple of MP3 voice-over samples on my page. Only mic I have is one on Plantronics headset I use for Skype. I definately need quality mic and have to invest there first. Can anyone with good knowledge in voice-over recommend me which brand/model would work best for me? Are there any mics specialized for voice-over recording? Lastly, is there any other technical things/equipment I should know other than good mic? My PC is Dell Pentium 4, Windows XP installed.

Wishing you the warmest Holiday Seasons,

Jay

[Edited at 2007-12-25 06:48]

[Edited at 2007-12-25 06:51]
Collapse

Giancarlo Pino
Giancarlo Pino
United States
Local time: 01:47
English to Italian
+ ...
About Microphone Dec 29, 2007

Wich microphone (Brand/Model) do you recomand for a basic PC/Mic. set up?

Jay Kim
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Recommendation on quality mic Dec 30, 2007

Guys,

Like Gianpinio, I seek help with selection of quality mic for basic PC/Mic set-up for MP3 recording at home. I like to know which mic I can use to record voice-over sample and to produce demo samples for companies approaching me with script. Mostly in MP3 but some companies may require samples in CD. Which mic(brand, model) do you recommend? Any quality mic(s) specialized for voice-over with PC/Mic set-up? Other techinal things voice-over newbie should know? TIA.
... See more
Guys,

Like Gianpinio, I seek help with selection of quality mic for basic PC/Mic set-up for MP3 recording at home. I like to know which mic I can use to record voice-over sample and to produce demo samples for companies approaching me with script. Mostly in MP3 but some companies may require samples in CD. Which mic(brand, model) do you recommend? Any quality mic(s) specialized for voice-over with PC/Mic set-up? Other techinal things voice-over newbie should know? TIA.

Greetings for a Very Happy New Year!

Jay
Collapse

David Singer
David Singer
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:47
Swedish to English
My novice experience Jan 2, 2008

I was asked about a year ago by a translation agency in Sweden to do a 10 minute company presentation voice over for DVD and online in English. I too have a classic British English voice but would not describe me as an actor (although I had wished I was). They provided the video clip and English script. I downloaded free audio software used two laptops and a standard headset. I charged about £250 but it did take longer than I thought to get it right (about a couple of days). However, absolutely... See more
I was asked about a year ago by a translation agency in Sweden to do a 10 minute company presentation voice over for DVD and online in English. I too have a classic British English voice but would not describe me as an actor (although I had wished I was). They provided the video clip and English script. I downloaded free audio software used two laptops and a standard headset. I charged about £250 but it did take longer than I thought to get it right (about a couple of days). However, absolutely no post production was required and the CEO of the company was absolutely delighted. It is still available for viewing on the company's website. It was fun.

Recently, I met up with a friend who is a musician with a studio, he has done voice-overs as has his wife and he is in touch with a couple of actors who do such work. I may develop this work as an additional component to my business.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT: Need advice on voice-over

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »