How do I see the Arabic text in Microsoft Glossary files?
Thread poster: Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran
Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:21
English to Arabic
Jul 14, 2004

I have used the link provided by Verbon earlier to download Microsoft's Arabic glossary (Arabic.zip). But when I opened one of the files, I found the English terms and instead of the Arabic corresponding terms I see gibberish. It looks like the text we see sometimes on Web pages when they contain Arabic text. On the Web we solve this by right-click and Encoding, how do we solve it in CSV files (opened in Excel)?

I have MS Office 2003.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 00:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
What language support settings are in your OS? Jul 14, 2004

Greetings.. taHaiya Tayyiba wa b3ad...

Hiyaakum Allah jamii3aan...

Basd on that description, that's probably a matter solved by changing the language support settings in your version of MS Windows (2000 or XP) to support Arabic RTL text and associated fonts.

You might check and select Arabic inside the language option box (usually displayed on the lower edge of your desktop). The box usually displays EN = English; click there for AR = Arabic & select, then
... See more
Greetings.. taHaiya Tayyiba wa b3ad...

Hiyaakum Allah jamii3aan...

Basd on that description, that's probably a matter solved by changing the language support settings in your version of MS Windows (2000 or XP) to support Arabic RTL text and associated fonts.

You might check and select Arabic inside the language option box (usually displayed on the lower edge of your desktop). The box usually displays EN = English; click there for AR = Arabic & select, then open that saved file.

What version of MS Excel are you using? I ask because versions of some MS Office applications earlier than 1998 might not have compatible / any bidirectional support for RTL languages (as I learned while a beta tester of Arabic products for Microsoft).

HTH. Khair in sha' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

e-mail: < [email protected] >
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 00:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
Addendum to earlier note re your MS Office 2003 Jul 14, 2004

Greetings again.. ahalan wa sahalan bikkum...

Noticed from re-reading your post that you have MS Office 2003.

So, the problem likely may be with the Arabic language settings inside your computer's OS (Windows 20-00 or XP).

You might have to reinstall that Arabic support (HINT: when the dropdown list of [ Arabic (various dialects)] appears, select ONLY "Arabic, Saudi" and install that version, because the other dialects of Arabic shown do hot have as full
... See more

So, the problem likely may be with the Arabic language settings inside your computer's OS (Windows 20-00 or XP).

You might have to reinstall that Arabic support (HINT: when the dropdown list of [ Arabic (various dialects)] appears, select ONLY "Arabic, Saudi" and install that version, because the other dialects of Arabic shown do hot have as full support in their encoding (that's a "long short technical story").

HTH.

Khair, bidhin Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California USA
(al-diira Talibat ahalhaa...)
Collapse

Doaa El Hefnawy
Doaa El Hefnawy  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Export the data Jul 14, 2004

Dear Tamara

I faced this problem before. The solution for me was exporting the data. What I did is that I opened a new excel sheet and then select Data بيانات -> Import External Data استيراد بيانات خارجية
-> Import Data استيراد بيانات
A wizard will then appear where you can select your preferences. You should choose the kind of file (I chose محدد as it is the one separated by commas). In the next step you should select the check
... See more
Dear Tamara

I faced this problem before. The solution for me was exporting the data. What I did is that I opened a new excel sheet and then select Data بيانات -> Import External Data استيراد بيانات خارجية
-> Import Data استيراد بيانات
A wizard will then appear where you can select your preferences. You should choose the kind of file (I chose محدد as it is the one separated by commas). In the next step you should select the check box comma فاصلة. In the third step leave the format as عامgeneral and then click finish. The data will be exported and you should be able to see everything and then you can save it. This worked for me and I hope it does for you.

Good Luck,
Doaa
Collapse

Doaa El Hefnawy
Doaa El Hefnawy  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Choose the type of file Jul 14, 2004

I just wanted to point out that in the first step you should chose the type of the file as Windows ANSI because sometimes the system chooses Japanese and Turkish and if you do not change it, the charaters will be all wrong.

Tamara Zahran
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jul 14, 2004

Dear Doaa,

Thanks very much, your solution worked just fine. You've been very helpful.

Tamara Zahran
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
It didn't work Jul 14, 2004

Stephen Franke wrote:

You might have to reinstall that Arabic support (HINT: when the dropdown list of [ Arabic (various dialects)] appears, select ONLY "Arabic, Saudi" and install that version, because the other dialects of Arabic shown do hot have as full support in their encoding (that's a "long short technical story").

HTH.

Khair, bidhin Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California USA
(al-diira Talibat ahalhaa...)

Dear Stephen,

I tried these solutions but unfortunately they didn't work. Thank you very much for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I see the Arabic text in Microsoft Glossary files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »