Catscradle or Notepad for translating .htm and .xls files?
Thread poster: Andy S
Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:14
German to English
Mar 17, 2009

My client has asked me to translate 22 .htm files and 1 .xls using a pure html editor as the text contains HTML tags and is to be used on the web. He does not want any other programme used as it might add in HTML.

He told me to use Notepad but I am not sure this is without problems.

I have come across Catscradle - will this definitely do the job OK? Are there any possible advantages to using Notepad? Someone has told me the text will come out in one long line, which I
... See more
My client has asked me to translate 22 .htm files and 1 .xls using a pure html editor as the text contains HTML tags and is to be used on the web. He does not want any other programme used as it might add in HTML.

He told me to use Notepad but I am not sure this is without problems.

I have come across Catscradle - will this definitely do the job OK? Are there any possible advantages to using Notepad? Someone has told me the text will come out in one long line, which I find puzzling.

Also Catscradle does not handle .xls files, but as there are no tags in the .xls file, surely I can still use Excel for this one?

(NB I am posting a sample file below. It is saved in .htm format.

Date: ^TodayDate^

Dear ^ShipperTitleLastName^

I am pleased to confirm that your ^ShippingMode^ shipment has been scheduled to depart from ^PointOfExit^ on ^ETDDate^ on the Flight Ref/Vessel ^flight_Ref^/^vessel^

The current estimated time of arrival at the port/airport in ^PointofEntry^ is: ^ETADate^

I will continue to update you as soon as new shipping status information becomes available.

^XXXXXXXXGoal^

Best Regards,

^Operator^
^OperatorJobTitle^
Tel: ^OperatorTel^
Fax: ^OperatorFax^
(^OperatorEMail^)

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-17 13:34 GMT]
Collapse

pltsanve
pltsanve
Slovenia
Local time: 21:14
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Just a suggestion Mar 17, 2009

I haven't tried Catscradle, so I'll skip that part, but on the Notepad's side, you might consider the Notepad++ (I hope it's OK to post their link: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm ), which is a free and helpful tool, since it supports various languages (including html and xml), significantly improving the readability (compared to notepad) and a great help when it comes to t... See more
I haven't tried Catscradle, so I'll skip that part, but on the Notepad's side, you might consider the Notepad++ (I hope it's OK to post their link: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm ), which is a free and helpful tool, since it supports various languages (including html and xml), significantly improving the readability (compared to notepad) and a great help when it comes to tags. Well, this all refers to writing, reviewing, correcting scripts, I haven't tried such direct translation. (Although, I must admit that working without a bilingual tool and some TM form seems rather horrifying with that much files.)

Good luck
Vesna
Collapse

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thankyou Mar 17, 2009

Thanks Vesna

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:14
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
one more suggestion Mar 19, 2009

Why don't you use OmegaT?
Make a project in it, then configure the html-xtml filter, in order not to modify some original tags, and leave out bookmark conversion.
Configure segmentation rules, add, for example a break on ";" if you wish so.
Configure the fuzzy matches hit.
Put into the project the xls file, as well, since the short cell content won't interfere with the segmentation rules.
And leave OmegaT in your PC for future jobs.

Dragomir

Andrew Stucken wrote:

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion Mar 20, 2009

Dragomir,

I do have Omega T and have used it before, but not for Tags - useful information.

This time I went with Catscradle.

Thanks

Andrew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Catscradle or Notepad for translating .htm and .xls files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »