Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:23
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 9, 2012

Good evening,

I received today a mail which heavily smelt as a scam.

Of course, I didn't answer (as I never answer such mails which do not state company name, etc.).

However, I had the curiosity to check the domain part of the address.

And what I found is very interesting :

It's an article published by Comment ça marche? (a site well known to French internauts)

It summarizes a list of free domains allowing pe
... See more
Good evening,

I received today a mail which heavily smelt as a scam.

Of course, I didn't answer (as I never answer such mails which do not state company name, etc.).

However, I had the curiosity to check the domain part of the address.

And what I found is very interesting :

It's an article published by Comment ça marche? (a site well known to French internauts)

It summarizes a list of free domains allowing people to get free "professionally looking" e-mail addresses. Those domain names (and addresses) are known to be used mostly by crooks.

Be aware that this list of domain names, in alphabetical order, is not exhaustive and has been published in May 2008.

Even if the article is written in French, it does not really matter as the important thing here is the list :

http://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/10460-les-fausses-adresses-email-professionnelles

For your information, my today's scam came from a [email protected] address.

As usual, be vigilant!

Catherine
Collapse

Yolanda Broad

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:23
English to French
+ ...
Add one to the list Feb 10, 2012

Reading your post, I now remember that I received an email, at the beginning of the week, allegedly from INTUIT, the name of a popular income tax software. The problem was that the subject mentioned something about "my IRS numbers" - which I don't have since none of my present clients are in the US.

I usually delete such emails at once, but god knows why, I was curious too that morning and, fully trusting my Norton 360, I opened the message. Well... DON'T! The site you are redirect
... See more
Reading your post, I now remember that I received an email, at the beginning of the week, allegedly from INTUIT, the name of a popular income tax software. The problem was that the subject mentioned something about "my IRS numbers" - which I don't have since none of my present clients are in the US.

I usually delete such emails at once, but god knows why, I was curious too that morning and, fully trusting my Norton 360, I opened the message. Well... DON'T! The site you are redirected to tries to install a Blackhole toolkit on the computer.
Collapse

Anne R
Anne R
Italy
English to French
+ ...
unfortunately Feb 10, 2012

I have noticed that since I registered as a paying member, my spam box has increased, with lots of horrible emails arriving. funnily enough, the first one seemed to be of someone who was a proz member . The content was spam, and when I went to look for that member on proz if I remember well there was an empty profile.

Pretty annoying, but I guess proz cannot stop the spammers from using illegally any possibility to get more genuine address to send their spams.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Report to ProZ Feb 10, 2012

Anne Rabier wrote:

I have noticed that since I registered as a paying member, my spam box has increased, with lots of horrible emails arriving. funnily enough, the first one seemed to be of someone who was a proz member . The content was spam, and when I went to look for that member on proz if I remember well there was an empty profile.

Pretty annoying, but I guess proz cannot stop the spammers from using illegally any possibility to get more genuine address to send their spams.

Hi Anne,

Everytime I receive a spam/scam via ProZ (for instance, via ProZmail), I alert ProZ.

It's easy : Go to the "About" tab on the upper line of each ProZ page (under your own name).
Then click on "Support Center". Go to item #4 and click on Submit a support request

Select Report abuse (the seventh item before the last one on the list). Then describe the problem and attach a copy of the message (better, a copy of the "source" of the message).

Otherwise, straightly from the suspicious email : (quoting ProZ itself)

Reporting abuse

You can report spam and scam emails sent through your profile by clicking the Unsolicited advertising? Spam? click here link at the bottom of the email message received. This link will automatically generate a support request in your name, with the information site staff needs to take appropriate action.

Have a nice day
Catherine

[Edited at 2012-02-10 12:36 GMT]

Zilola
Zilola
French to Russian
+ ...
dangerous emails Oct 6, 2014

Hello,

I also received and still receive fake job offers.
Despite being super duper vigilant and deleting all kinds of emails, i've
however fallen into their hands.

I alerted Proz members and they are just "removed" the sender's profile.
So, just be careful and avoid the danger

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A list of false "pro looking" email addresses used by scammers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »