Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
You should wait 3 weeks Jul 22, 2009

Valeria Donzelli wrote:

Hi!
Sorry for maybe not following the discussion, but I would like to ask you, especially translators from Argentina and abroad (outside the US) if you have ever asked a cheque from paypal and how long did it take to arrive. My situation: I ordered a cheque on july 8th and have not had any news yet (that is 14 days have passed). Is this something common? Can anyone else cash the cheque? This is the first time I do it. I also wrote and asked paypal if they had any record of where the cheque might be.

As it is stated in the site (Paypal), under FAQ, the check may take up to three weeks to get there. That is so. Add 1-2 extra days just in case. That is the usual time anyway.

You might get it earlier every now and then though, but don´t get used to it. They always ask you to allow 3 weeks to receive the check.

And no, the check is issued to your name, only you are suppossed to cash it showing your ID.

Be patient.

Valeria Donzelli
Valeria Donzelli  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Jul 22, 2009

Thanks Walter! I'll follow your advice on being patient.

Dilek Çınar
Dilek Çınar
Türkiye
Local time: 14:37
English to Turkish
+ ...
virtual debit card ? Jul 22, 2009

Argentine Translator wrote:

A customer asks me my PayPal account details to pay me.
I live in Argentina. I do not have a credit card. I do not have an American bank account. I do not want to buy products online.
I want PayPal to send me a check that I will cash in Buenos Aires. (The local bank will charge me USD 5.)
I have tried to open a Premier PayPal account. because it seemed the most suitable option. But I have been asked a credit card number.
What should I do? Thanks and best regards, AT

If any bank in Argentina provides a debit card (not a credit card) which can be used as if it were a "virtual credit card" for shopping online, then you can add this "virtual debit card" on PayPal.
For example; a bank in Turkey provides this service and its virtual debit card is accepted by PayPal and works well. Look into the websites of Argentina banks thoroughly. There may be a bank to help you in this case. Hope this helps.

1.Get a Debit card/account in a local bank that provides aforesaid service
2.Create a virtual card on the bank's website (Virtual cards have totally different security numbers(CVC) and account numbers for security purposes and you will use these numbers when creating a PayPal account)
3.Add your virtual card on PayPal (don't bother its asking for you to enter a credit card number, just enter the numbers of your virtual debit card)
4.Do shopping online or wait for your payment,do whatever you want without having a credit card or any doubts on security issues.

Spanish-English Translator
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dilek Jul 22, 2009

Thank you for your reply. I will ask my bank.

Daiana Siri
Daiana Siri
Argentina
English to Spanish
True Aug 4, 2009

Dilek Çınar wrote:

Argentine Translator wrote:

A customer asks me my PayPal account details to pay me.
I live in Argentina. I do not have a credit card. I do not have an American bank account. I do not want to buy products online.
I want PayPal to send me a check that I will cash in Buenos Aires. (The local bank will charge me USD 5.)
I have tried to open a Premier PayPal account. because it seemed the most suitable option. But I have been asked a credit card number.
What should I do? Thanks and best regards, AT

If any bank in Argentina provides a debit card (not a credit card) which can be used as if it were a "virtual credit card" for shopping online, then you can add this "virtual debit card" on PayPal.
For example; a bank in Turkey provides this service and its virtual debit card is accepted by PayPal and works well. Look into the websites of Argentina banks thoroughly. There may be a bank to help you in this case. Hope this helps.

1.Get a Debit card/account in a local bank that provides aforesaid service
2.Create a virtual card on the bank's website (Virtual cards have totally different security numbers(CVC) and account numbers for security purposes and you will use these numbers when creating a PayPal account)
3.Add your virtual card on PayPal (don't bother its asking for you to enter a credit card number, just enter the numbers of your virtual debit card)
4.Do shopping online or wait for your payment,do whatever you want without having a credit card or any doubts on security issues.

Hi all:

I usually use Paypal and that's the way I withdrawal the money.
Once you have your virtual credit card you should also register in Xoom.
They also charge you a small amount of money, but at least you don’t have to wait during weeks for the check to arrive!
Once they verify your personal data it only takes a few minutes to transfer the money from you Paypal account to your bank.

Cheers!
Daiana

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your reply. Aug 4, 2009

Dear Daiana, So I open an account with Xoom. Then, I transfer funds from PayPal to Xoom. And Xoom transfers the funds to my Argentine bank account. Is that the process? It sounds great. Regards, AT

Daiana Siri
Daiana Siri
Argentina
English to Spanish
Yes Aug 4, 2009

Hi!

Yes, It works that way, except that you don’t have to transfer the money to your bank account, it will be like a back draft. You just have to present in the bank with your ID and the transfer number Xoom will email you when the transfer is complete.

The very first time you present in the bank for the transaction they will ask you to complete a list with all your personal data (there is no need for you to open an account with them). once you complete this, you can
... See more
Hi!

Yes, It works that way, except that you don’t have to transfer the money to your bank account, it will be like a back draft. You just have to present in the bank with your ID and the transfer number Xoom will email you when the transfer is complete.

The very first time you present in the bank for the transaction they will ask you to complete a list with all your personal data (there is no need for you to open an account with them). once you complete this, you can withdraw money anytime you wish (the only limit is 2000 USD per month).

Bear in mind that first of all you must verify your paypal account with the virtual credit card.
All the personal data in the credit card must coincide with the one you have in Paypal, otherwise they will cancel the transaction and hold your money in their account for a few days while they research about you

Hope it helps!
Daiana
Collapse

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Questions about Xoom Aug 17, 2009

Dear Daiana,
Thank you for your reply. How much will Xoom and its local agent charge me for this service?
I suppose that if I enter the same personal data in Xoom that I have entered in PayPal, I will not have any problems.
Best regards, AT

[Editado a las 2009-08-17 16:08 GMT]

[Editado a las 2009-08-17 16:09 GMT]

Daiana Siri
Daiana Siri
Argentina
English to Spanish
Yes Aug 19, 2009

Hi!

Well, they will charge you a "small commission" I do not recall exactly the percentage, but it is getting more and more expensive each month.
Actually, I am considering the possibility of changing the payment method because of this.
Lats week, of a 1000 USD transfer, I lost 200 USD in commissions (between Paypal and Xoom)
And yes, the personal data must be the same (phone number, address, etc)
... See more
Hi!

Well, they will charge you a "small commission" I do not recall exactly the percentage, but it is getting more and more expensive each month.
Actually, I am considering the possibility of changing the payment method because of this.
Lats week, of a 1000 USD transfer, I lost 200 USD in commissions (between Paypal and Xoom)
And yes, the personal data must be the same (phone number, address, etc) otherwise, your transfer will be cancelled and they will hold your money for a few days.
You must also have the same personal data in the credit card.

Cheers!
Daiana
Collapse

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is the credit card virtual? Aug 19, 2009

Dear Daiana, Is the credit card virtual? Xoom seems more safer than PayPal checks. Commissions are a nightmare. Thanks and regards, AT

[Editado a las 2009-08-19 12:32 GMT]

Daiana Siri
Daiana Siri
Argentina
English to Spanish
Yes Aug 19, 2009

It is a virtual credit card, if you wish, you can contact me through my profile and I will give you the contact email of the person that gave me mine, and it is definitely much safer than a Paypal check, besides, with Xoom the transaction only takes a few minutes.

Regards,
Di

Gabriela Mejías
Gabriela Mejías  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Watch out for technical problems between Xoom and PayPal! Sep 6, 2009

Hi all,

I always use Xoom to withdraw my money from PayPal, but my last experience has been awful.

I logged in at Xoom and tried four times to withdraw my money... and Xoom system took me back showing a warn sign that said "your transaction failed" (or words of that sort).

So I sent a support ticket and Xoom replied that they were undergoing technical problems that prevented me (and a few more clients) from connecting to PayPal to withdraw my money.
... See more
Hi all,

I always use Xoom to withdraw my money from PayPal, but my last experience has been awful.

I logged in at Xoom and tried four times to withdraw my money... and Xoom system took me back showing a warn sign that said "your transaction failed" (or words of that sort).

So I sent a support ticket and Xoom replied that they were undergoing technical problems that prevented me (and a few more clients) from connecting to PayPal to withdraw my money.

But... when I logged in at PayPal, I found out, to my surprise, that the four transactions (my four tries, in fact) had been processed by PayPal, and that, as my funds were not enough, PayPal had charged the difference to my credit card. So my credit card was then asking me to pay four times the sum I still had in PayPal!!

End of story: after emailing Xoom and PayPal a hundred times, I managed to have these transactions cancelled by PayPal, and to have PayPal send cancellations to my credit card.

I ended up asking for a cheque.
Collapse

Veronica Martinez
Veronica Martinez  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check, secure? Sep 8, 2009

Hi Gabriela!

I have a PayPal account too and I have heard some really frightening stories of people that got their account blocked or frozen...

Anyway, I never attempted to withdraw money from them...but I'll have to sometime!!

Aren't you afraid the check might end up "lost in the post"?
I live in Argentina too...

Gabriela Mejías
Gabriela Mejías  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never have had a problem so far Sep 9, 2009

Hi Verónica!

I've never had any problems with the cheque being sent by mail so far. I have also heard those frightening stories. However, I asked for the cheque at least four or five times and it did arrive. It takes about 20 days. Then I go to Casa Piano and get my cash.

Xoom was a much more convenient alternative, but after such a painful experience, I don't see it as a suitable choice.

Good luck!

Gabriela

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open a PayPal account from Argentina

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »