Thread poster: Paolo Sebastiani
Paolo Sebastiani
Paolo Sebastiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 31, 2023

Why should it be so difficult to remove Project's names from the Project List?
I have read that to do so I should remove either the file or the folder from my PC (which is totally illogical) but anyway even by doing so, the project name isn't deleted. Am I asking to climb Mount Everest????

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Reason Jan 31, 2023

As far as I know, the list will be cleaned via the FIFO mechanism.

Any particular reason why you would want to remove a specific project?

Paolo Sebastiani
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
0 or 1000 reasons why I want to remove a Project Jan 31, 2023

There might be 0 or 1000 reasons why I want or I need to remove a Project from the project list.... the software needs to have that function! Stop!
I ignore the FIFO mechanism, sorry, can you explain?
Thanks

Tom in London
Wolfgang Schoene

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
As all good things in life … Feb 1, 2023

… the size of the list is limited.

Once the number of listed projects exceeds a certain value (defined by Java), the oldest project will be deleted.

Igor wrote:

Java limitation for a preference entry is 8192 characters so when the limit is reached the old entries are removed.

Example:

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 09.10.57

[Edited at 2023-02-01 08:11 GMT]

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Manual removal of a recent project Feb 1, 2023

CafeTran removes old projects from the list of recent projects automatically. Moreover, the user can remove or rename the project's folder to remove it from CafeTran's interface. Doing it directly via programs dashboard might be more intuitive indeed. This function should appear soon.

[Edited at 2023-02-01 08:40 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Tom in London

Paolo Sebastiani
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This function should appear soon Feb 2, 2023

I have read about this function coming soon about 7 or 8 years ago but still is not included in the list of functions. I think it is not logical to remove the folder or the file in order to remove the project from the list of projects. Anyway, sometimes even after removing the folder, the project stays there!!!
It seems like removing a project from the list is an awkward feature, but according to me and many other users it shouldn't be so!!!!

Tom in London
Wolfgang Schoene

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:37
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Especially Feb 2, 2023

Paolo Sebastiani wrote:

I have read about this function coming soon about 7 or 8 years ago but still is not included in the list of functions. I think it is not logical to remove the folder or the file in order to remove the project from the list of projects. Anyway, sometimes even after removing the folder, the project stays there!!!
It seems like removing a project from the list is an awkward feature, but according to me and many other users it shouldn't be so!!!!

I like to keep my hard drive clean by deleting all the files and folders that were associated with old projects.

So it's annoying that those old projects still show up in CafeTran.

[Edited at 2023-02-02 13:49 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Good practice Feb 3, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I like to keep my hard drive clean by deleting all the files and folders that were associated with old projects.

Because of Apple’s ludicrous prices for SSDs and the fact that you cannot upgrade your internal SSD in new Macs, moving old project files to an external drive is good practice.

I just keep the TMX files on board. And I find myself lucky that CafeTran doesn’t need to index them.

On my Macs, removing a project to external storage, also removes it from the Project Selector …

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing Projects from the Project list

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »