List of Vista updates per month available somewhere?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 4, 2009

G'day everyone

My dad has expensive internet and he has Windows Vista Home. He got quite high internet bills for two months in a row, and I suspect that Vista's updates are responsible for this. Is there a list somewhere detailling which updates were "suggested" at what times during the past year, and their sizes?

Also, can you recommend a free firewall what works in Vista Home, that blocks internet requests on a per-program basis? My own favourite, Kerio, doesn't wo
... See more
G'day everyone

My dad has expensive internet and he has Windows Vista Home. He got quite high internet bills for two months in a row, and I suspect that Vista's updates are responsible for this. Is there a list somewhere detailling which updates were "suggested" at what times during the past year, and their sizes?

Also, can you recommend a free firewall what works in Vista Home, that blocks internet requests on a per-program basis? My own favourite, Kerio, doesn't work on Vista.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:56
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
There is no such thing, AFAIK Jun 4, 2009

He can just simply set his preferences fro the Microsoft Update service, in the control panel: set it to "Do NOT download or install automatically" (I don't remember the exact wording, but you get the idea).

Carolina Padilla
Carolina Padilla
United States
Local time: 16:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Vista updates list Jun 4, 2009

Hi Samuel,

I have Vista myself. Your dad can change the settings so Windows will ask him anytime there is a new update ready. In this way you can check the updates out and decide which ones you want to download.

Here you have the instructions to change the settings. I copied this from www.microsoft.com, you can find more information there.

“You can also change the automa
... See more
Hi Samuel,

I have Vista myself. Your dad can change the settings so Windows will ask him anytime there is a new update ready. In this way you can check the updates out and decide which ones you want to download.

Here you have the instructions to change the settings. I copied this from www.microsoft.com, you can find more information there.

“You can also change the automatic update settings anytime with the Windows Update control panel. And you can review and install Optional updates from the panel.
To do change the automatic update settings
1. Open Windows Update (click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update).
2. Select Change Settings and choose how you want Windows to install updates.”

Regarding the list of updates, you should be able to see it always in Start/All Programs/Windows Update (check point 1). There is a link there (View update history) that shows you what was installed and when it was installed.
Hope this helps.

Carolina
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
c't Offline Update Jun 4, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
My dad has expensive internet and he has Windows Vista Home. He got quite high internet bills for two months in a row, and I suspect that Vista's updates are responsible for this.

There is a software intended to solve this problem:
http://www.h-online.com/security/Do-it-yourself-Service-Pack--/features/80682

Regards,
Endre

Sakis Serafeim
Sakis Serafeim
English to Greek
+ ...
Answers to both questions Jun 18, 2009

Is there a list somewhere detailling which updates were "suggested" at what times during the past year, and their sizes?

Here is the list of all the monthly MS updates (Security Bulletin Summaries): http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/summary.mspx

Also, can you recommend a free firewall what works in Vista Home, that blocks internet requests on a per-program basis?

I like Comodo: http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

Elina Andriamananahasinoro
Elina Andriamananahasinoro  Identity Verified
Madagascar
English to French
List of microsoft updates Jun 19, 2009

Here you can find a list of all Vista updates with their size:

test.catalog.update.microsoft.com

Just type "vista" in the search box (you need Microsoft internet explorer for that).

Regards,
Elina

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answering my own firewall question Jun 19, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
Also, can you recommend a free firewall what works in Vista Home, that blocks internet requests on a per-program basis? My own favourite, Kerio, doesn't work on Vista.

I could not find a free one that I liked. I had a very bad experience with Commodo in the past (struggled for ages to uninstall it and it warned me about lots of unnecessarys stuff, eg everytime my browser launched my mail client the firewall asked my permission for it).

The best firewall I could find for his computer is the Sunbelt Personal Firewall (30-day shareware). It doesn't detect 100% of traffic, but none of the Vista-capable firewalls that I have tried detected 100% of traffic anyway. Sunbelt's product is simple to use... or perhaps I'm just partial because I use its earlier abandonware version on my XP machine -- it's called Kerio, and Kerio does detect 100% of traffic (well, the 100% that matters to me, anyway).

I did learn something -- I learnt that there is actually a market for one-way firewalls and that many firewalls are in fact one-way firewalls, and that that is not a bug. I had always assumed that firewalls must be two-way, otherwise what's the point? If a firewall doesn't block or at least report outgoing traffic, it's not incredibly useful for detecting spyware, is it? But yes, many free firewalls are now incoming-only, just like Vista's built-in firewall.

If anyone knows of a Vista capable two-way firewall that detects all traffic but is simple to use for someone who is a technophobe, I'd be happy to hear about it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

List of Vista updates per month available somewhere?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »