Thread poster: Ines Burrell
Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:01
English to Russian
+ ...
piece of cake Mar 26, 2010

Ahmad Wadan wrote:
... how he can do that using his phone that does not have Latvian keyboard and without the web application I referred to above.

Firstly, she can use the application that I have mentioned.
Namely, TeamViewer. It allows us to create vpn.

Secondly, she can enter a word processor on her desktop and use 'insert symbol' feature *menu Insert>Symbol* instead of entering a Latvian symbol from the keyboard on her mobile phone.

+++

And the last but not the least — the software is free for a non-commercial use.

[Edited at 2010-03-26 10:12 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can use Trados on any machine Mar 27, 2010

This does not answer your question about remote access, but if you have a mobile computer you can install Trados on it permanently and use it when needed. I have the same copy of Trados 2007 on my main computer and on a spare portable. No issue with license switching.

REgards
Heinrich

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:01
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
clarification on Trados licences Mar 27, 2010

I don't think you can install Trados on any machine.
If you have Trados Studio 2009 Freelance you are limited to one machine.
If you have Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus you can activate the licence on 2 machines.
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-freelance/

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:01
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Mar 29, 2010

I spent most of the weekend trying out different remote access systems and unfortunately had to conclude that full access from a mobile phone is not possible. To use most of the systems you need to install some application on the computer you will use to access the main computer, which I obviously cannot do as phones need adapted apps. WebEx offers support for mobile phones, however the only thing you can do is access the files stored on you computer. I can achieve it with a memory card so that'... See more
I spent most of the weekend trying out different remote access systems and unfortunately had to conclude that full access from a mobile phone is not possible. To use most of the systems you need to install some application on the computer you will use to access the main computer, which I obviously cannot do as phones need adapted apps. WebEx offers support for mobile phones, however the only thing you can do is access the files stored on you computer. I can achieve it with a memory card so that's completely pointless.

GoToMyPC seemed promissing at the beginning since you only need access to Internet on the device you are accessing your main computer from... but here is the catch - you need a Java enabled browser and as far as I can see my N900 does not do that (or at least not enough to run their applet or whatever it is they want me to run).

So to all those dreaming of accessing your office on the go - forget it. You will need at least a netbook. I did visit my local appliance shop, had a good chat with a senior looking employee who told me that netbooks are incredibly slow (unless you are willing to invest pots of cash which I am not). I explained my problem to him and we both concluded that it does not really matter what you are dragging around - a 1.3 kg netbook or a 3 kg laptop: you are still carring a bulky item.

So after all this and seeing as I am a typical female and like shopping, I decided to invest into a... better laptop bag. If I really have to be away for more than a few hours, I will just take the laptop with me (since it is insured, I do not have to worry about it being damaged while bouncing on my back all the time).

Ines
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Computers are everywhere! Mar 29, 2010

If you are positive that you don't want to carry a laptop, I think that the best option is to have your email pushed to a mobile phone, smartphone, or Blackberry, and then --for really really really urgent things that catch you on the move-- you can use a remote control product from a hotel PC or a cibercafe and use your actual work PC, which will have everything you need. If you are on the way to another place where you are bound to stay for a couple of days, a laptop might be the best option.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Well Mar 29, 2010

Burrell wrote:

I spent most of the weekend trying out different remote access systems and unfortunately had to conclude that full access from a mobile phone is not possible. To use most of the systems you need to install some application on the computer you will use to access the main computer, which I obviously cannot do as phones need adapted apps. WebEx offers support for mobile phones, however the only thing you can do is access the files stored on you computer. I can achieve it with a memory card so that's completely pointless.

GoToMyPC seemed promissing at the beginning since you only need access to Internet on the device you are accessing your main computer from... but here is the catch - you need a Java enabled browser and as far as I can see my N900 does not do that (or at least not enough to run their applet or whatever it is they want me to run).

So to all those dreaming of accessing your office on the go - forget it. You will need at least a netbook. I did visit my local appliance shop, had a good chat with a senior looking employee who told me that netbooks are incredibly slow (unless you are willing to invest pots of cash which I am not). I explained my problem to him and we both concluded that it does not really matter what you are dragging around - a 1.3 kg netbook or a 3 kg laptop: you are still carring a bulky item.

So after all this and seeing as I am a typical female and like shopping, I decided to invest into a... better laptop bag. If I really have to be away for more than a few hours, I will just take the laptop with me (since it is insured, I do not have to worry about it being damaged while bouncing on my back all the time).

Ines

Remote desktop on mobiles clearly is possible in general. All Windows Mobile 6.X phones can access Windows computers via stock Microsoft remote desktop software as I stated earlier. The iphone has it's own client, and I'm sure other platforms do too. It's not very convenient but it's fully functional, I have used it myself a couple of times. This video about the remote desktop client is awful but it should suffice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axULHGCt98o

Anyway, I don't know how you could have spent a weekend researching this and coming to the conclusion that it's not possible.
This took 30 seconds to find:
http://www.chilitechno.com/blog/default/09-12-10/Remote_Desktop_Client_on_N900.aspx

Of course, using something like this requires quite a bit of computer knowledge. The n900 is a new platform and the software is currently in development. It's probably more hassle than it's worth.

As to netbooks being slow, yes, they are, compared to a powerful full-size laptop. But of course they are plenty fast enough for many purposes. They are certainly more than powerful enough to run a remote desktop client.

[Edited at 2010-03-29 18:25 GMT]

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
I am sorry to say but... Mar 30, 2010

So to all those dreaming of accessing your office on the go - forget it.

I would abstain from such a 'strong' verdict
I'd rather say - … forget it. If you have nothing but a Nokia N900, at least.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:01
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I meant Mar 30, 2010

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

I'd rather say - … forget it. If you have nothing but a Nokia N900, at least.

Or rather, it applies to most mobile phones when it comes to straightforward, simple systems - they are designed for computers. iPhone has some capabilities and even my N900 has them but you have to be a serious technical geek to set it all up - I only understand the 'and's and 'or's of the instructions posted on the maemo forums. If like me you do not speak in computer code (and you can see that I don't because I could not get rid of the dashes that appear with each of the apostrophes in this post ), then its better to stay put.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remote access to PC

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »