Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: What kind of music do you like?
Autor de la hebra: EmmanuelleAn (X)
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:46
francés al inglés
+ ...
In Memoriam
Bach, Mozart, Handel, Miles Davis ... May 18, 2007

EmmanuelleAnn wrote:

Do you listen to any music when you are translating? What music do you like? Favourite singer/band etc.? Please share! I wanted to post this as a quick poll but realised it did not work without the Proz membership.

Hullo Emmanuelle Ann,
What a nice poll!
I listen to BBC Radio 3 while translating - or CDs of Bach's B minor Mass, Mozart's Requiem Mass, Handel's Nelson Mass (how glorious!), or Miles Davis and other modern jazz. I love Leonard Cohen and Dory Previn, but they're not good while working because I start thinking about the (weird) words!
Regards,
Jenny.

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 19:46
francés al inglés
Same here May 18, 2007

Nothing while translating, but everything when not. West and South African music, hot jazz, classical pieces for piano (heard a wonderful rendition of a Satie piece on slide guitar yesterday!), Baltic choral, and of course, pop. My fetish artists at the moment are Keren Ann, Miriam Makeba, Rufus Wainwright, Duke Ellington and Neko Case.

Elske v K (X)
Elske v K (X)
Local time: 01:46
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
Feeder May 18, 2007

I listen to Feeder, Foo Fighters, Coldplay or Kent

nruddy
nruddy  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 17:46
alemán al inglés
also metal/classical May 18, 2007

Generally not when I'm working (requires too much concentration) but otherwise it's mostly metal and sometimes classical. As Almir says, the energy in things like Maiden gives you energy to do other things. People who don't like heavy metal can't understand that, though....

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Francia
francés al hindi
+ ...
No music when translating May 18, 2007

Somehow I tend to get lost while listening to music. So I don't listen to any music when I'm working. Otherwise I love listening to Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia's flute recital (Moonlight moods is my favourite)... instrumental music from soundscapes series (especially music of rivers and music of seas)...

Vittorina Klingbeil (X)
Vittorina Klingbeil (X)  Identity Verified
Alemania
italiano al inglés
+ ...
No music for me either when working ... May 18, 2007

Because I just have to sing along instead of concentrating.

My favourite is the best band in the whole world: U2.

I also like Eros, Bob Dylan, Dave Matthews Band (what a great song - American Baby), Counting Crows, Andrea Bocelli, Pavarotti ... And there's a great South African band: Springbok Nude Girls - now who has heard of them?

Zarina
Zarina  Identity Verified
México
alemán al español
+ ...
not while i am translating May 18, 2007

i would also love to be able to listen while i translate...
the answers of Jon O and Almir Comor made me smile. that would be the kind of music i'd listen to if i could only concentrate...
some of my favourite artists are: nine inch nails, joy division, siouxsie and the banshees, the faint, the white stripes, metallica, and a variety of electronic music (house, electroclash)

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Letonia
Local time: 02:46
italiano al letón
+ ...
it depends May 18, 2007

Well for me this depends on the mood - sometimes I have something playing in the background while I work but its mainly like a background noise.

As for my iPod.. now thats one great mix of music I must say. There are things like Poets of the Fall (fab finnish band), songs from the musical Le Roi Soleil, Francesco De Gregori, Bon Jovi, Rondo Veneziano.. In short Id say there is everything for every kind of mood.... See more
Well for me this depends on the mood - sometimes I have something playing in the background while I work but its mainly like a background noise.

As for my iPod.. now thats one great mix of music I must say. There are things like Poets of the Fall (fab finnish band), songs from the musical Le Roi Soleil, Francesco De Gregori, Bon Jovi, Rondo Veneziano.. In short Id say there is everything for every kind of mood.
Collapse

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

Local time: 19:46
español al inglés
+ ...
Mr. Bach. And Midlake. May 18, 2007

The prelude to the cello suites (Suite 1, G major). The greatest piece of music ever written by anyone, in any century, anywhere. The only piece of music that makes me cry.

Granted, that’s not good for concentration. Having the TV on, I’ve found, is fantastic for concentration. Especially those mid-afternoon soap operas they have in the US.

And when I’ve met the deadline and sent off the stuff: Midlake, some Beatles, the fast stuff from Roxy Music, the loud stuf
... See more
The prelude to the cello suites (Suite 1, G major). The greatest piece of music ever written by anyone, in any century, anywhere. The only piece of music that makes me cry.

Granted, that’s not good for concentration. Having the TV on, I’ve found, is fantastic for concentration. Especially those mid-afternoon soap operas they have in the US.

And when I’ve met the deadline and sent off the stuff: Midlake, some Beatles, the fast stuff from Roxy Music, the loud stuff from Bruce Springsteen (of course). Everything from Crowded House and all the best from REM. Anything from Steely Dan.

And I can’t help thinking that by answering this (excellent) question, we are saying stuff about our ages. Very interesting thread.

All best wishes to all.

PS. Did I mention my embarrassing fondness for mid-career Joni Mitchell?
Collapse

Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Miembro 2006
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
Yes, all sorts. May 18, 2007

Music helps me a lot concentrating for many hours and enjoying it too!
I like lots of different kinds of music, but most often it is some sort of rock I end up feeling good with.

Or else I also love my old collections of foreign (to me that is) music: Natacha Atlas, Yulduz, Lola Flores, some Egyptian music I can't read the covers from.
Or Roby Lakatos, Carlos Montoya etc.

Well very diverse. But I would not like working without!

ps: at the mome
... See more
Music helps me a lot concentrating for many hours and enjoying it too!
I like lots of different kinds of music, but most often it is some sort of rock I end up feeling good with.

Or else I also love my old collections of foreign (to me that is) music: Natacha Atlas, Yulduz, Lola Flores, some Egyptian music I can't read the covers from.
Or Roby Lakatos, Carlos Montoya etc.

Well very diverse. But I would not like working without!

ps: at the moment "into" 4 Non Blondes", love Linda Perry's powerful voice. Or Nathalie Merchant, a really low voice for a woman.

[Edited at 2007-05-18 23:06]
Collapse

Ishtar
Ishtar
Local time: 00:46
inglés al alemán
Another fan of Fayrouz here May 19, 2007

Nesrin wrote:
And Arabic music: The great Lebanese singer Fayrouz.

[Edited at 2007-05-18 10:01]

She's simply awsome.

But I admit that I'll also listen to Arabic pop - Nawal el Zoghbi, Elissa, Najwa Karam, Dania, George Wassouf, Yuri Mrakadi, Kazem el Saher etc.

diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lituania
Local time: 02:46
inglés al lituano
+ ...
Classical and jazz, mostly May 19, 2007

Bach, Ravel, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Skriabin, Shostakovitch - their symphonic works, and especially concertos. While translating, I usually listen to Satie's piano works, Gregarian chants or Baroque music.

Among my other numerous favourites are Miles Davis, Pat Metheney, Joe Zawinul, Wynton Marsalis, as well as some gothic rock bands (Epica, Nightwish).

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 20:46
portugués al inglés
+ ...
Instrumental only... May 20, 2007

I can translate while listening to instrumental music...jazz, classical, etc. or sometimes, if it's an easy job, I can listen to vocals in some language I don't understand, like some Afropop, Rai, etc.

I can't listen to vocals in English, Portuguese, Spanish or French, though.

Amy

Nadine Kahn
Nadine Kahn  Identity Verified
Alemania
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Chill-out or classical music... May 21, 2007

... while I'm translating. Love Chopin, Smetana, Bernstein... dream dance.

No day without music (sometimes no hour without it). Here are some of my artists:

* Matchbox 20 and the genius Rob Thomas, The Killers, Savage Garden, Alexi Murdoch, Cher, Prince, Chris de Burgh, Chris Isaak, Chris Daughtry, Eva Cassidy, Five for fighting, The Fray, Howie Day, Johnny Cash, Martin Page, MG4, Phil Vassar, Ryan Adams, The Beach Boys and many many more.

* Kettcar, Fettes
... See more
... while I'm translating. Love Chopin, Smetana, Bernstein... dream dance.

No day without music (sometimes no hour without it). Here are some of my artists:

* Matchbox 20 and the genius Rob Thomas, The Killers, Savage Garden, Alexi Murdoch, Cher, Prince, Chris de Burgh, Chris Isaak, Chris Daughtry, Eva Cassidy, Five for fighting, The Fray, Howie Day, Johnny Cash, Martin Page, MG4, Phil Vassar, Ryan Adams, The Beach Boys and many many more.

* Kettcar, Fettes Brot, Laith Al-Deen, Fanta 4, Xavier Naidoo, Juli, Die Prinzen, Reinhard Mey

* Noir Désir, Garou, Indochine, Manu Chao

* Maná, Juanes, Heroes del silencio, Elefante, Jorge Moreno, Santana

* Nek, Nevio Passaro, Eros

There is not enough space to list all of them
Collapse

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 09:46
italiano al inglés
Non wimpy music May 21, 2007

EmmanuelleAnn wrote:

Do you listen to any music when you are translating? What music do you like? Favourite singer/band etc.? Please share! I wanted to post this as a quick poll but realised it did not work without the Proz membership.

Hi. Good thread. I know music is a subjective art, but I like all non wimpy music and by wimpy I mean the "disco-duck"/YMCA type of the late 70s early 80s....I say good riddance to that. I like rock and psychedelic music....from Little Richard to Slipknot and from The Byrds to Midnight Movies (from L.A.). I don't listen to music when I'm working, but sometimes I DO take a break and listen to some samples on music websites.
ROCK ON.

Rob

[Edited at 2007-05-21 12:52]

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What kind of music do you like?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »