Pagine:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: How do you relax after a long/hard project?
Iniziatore argomento: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 14:52
Membro (2006)
Da Tedesco a Inglese
Same here Nov 26, 2010

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Provided I don't have back-to back assignments: DIY
As a list-maniac, I have an ongoing list of what needs to be done. It never seems to get shorter.

Szymon Metkowski
Szymon Metkowski  Identity Verified
Polonia
Da Tedesco a Polacco
+ ...
Board games Nov 26, 2010

With friends. Or just meeting them in Hard Rock for a beer or two. I have always loved computer and oline games but I recently rediscovered board games. And now I am a huge fan of them. They have all the benefits of computer games plus I can meet living people, which is normally limited in our work.

Klára Kalamár
Klára Kalamár  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:52
Da Inglese a Ungherese
+ ...
Well, it depends on the season... Nov 26, 2010

swimming & sauna - during the dark, cold winter months
long walks with my husband - in the rest of the year

Filippe Vasconcellos de Freitas Guimarães
Filippe Vasconcellos de Freitas Guimarães  Identity Verified
Brasile
Local time: 09:52
Membro (2009)
Da Portoghese a Inglese
+ ...
Hobbies Nov 26, 2010

Not ashamed to say I am an "Adult Fan of LEGO®"

Always seems to help clear my mind for the next job... Depending on how much time I have on my hands, I occasionally do some cooking (which I usually don't) or go for a long walk, as many folks apparently do.

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Spagna
Membro (2010)
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
+ ...
Interesting.... Nov 26, 2010

Spending time with friends is at the bottom of the results list. I might be true what they say about translators not being very sociable....

Dorothee Rault (Witt)
Dorothee Rault (Witt)
Francia
Membro (2007)
Da Francese a Tedesco
+ ...
My spare moments Nov 26, 2010

I spend in a long hot bath with lots of candles around me!

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
Francia
Da Tedesco a Francese
+ ...
Other Nov 26, 2010

It could be very different things (or nothing special), but what I remember doing the most often is going to the restaurant with my husband.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germania
Membro (2009)
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
Yes! Nov 26, 2010

Dorothee Rault wrote:

I spend in a long hot bath with lots of candles around me!

This is my kind of relaxation: a hot bath, warm candle light, soft music. But only during the winter months. In the summer it's long walks in the woods, catching up with friends, enjoying the sunshine.

I wish you all a relaxing weekend.

Anna Katikhina
Anna Katikhina  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 05:52
Da Inglese a Russo
+ ...
Family/partner Nov 26, 2010

I just have a glass of good wine together with my loved one or we go out for a walk with a camera if it's daytime.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spagna
Local time: 13:52
Membro (2007)
Inglese
+ ...
I refuse to structure my free time Nov 26, 2010

One of the main differences for me between free and working time is that when I'm working I have to do this, do that, meet this deadline, etc.

I absolutely refuse to finish a project then say, "Right! What am I going to do now? I've got to go swimming, I've got to read a book, ..."

I just like to go as the fancy takes me. Isn't that the meaning of leisure?

Adnan Özdemir
Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Turchia
Local time: 15:52
Membro (2007)
Da Tedesco a Turco
+ ...
Sleeping and interneting Nov 26, 2010

Sleeping and interneting

Lorena Baudo
Lorena Baudo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Da Inglese a Spagnolo
Fun! Nov 26, 2010

In this order: I take a long relaxing bath, I go outdoors, buy something cool and have fun! Of course, I'm talking about working for monthssss in a project! It's not possible to buy something nice to celebrate each project you finish))

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 08:52
Membro (2008)
Da Francese a Inglese
A combination of the above Nov 26, 2010

But unless it is the middle of the night, it usually involves leaving my home/office, no computer games or internet surfing. Sometimes I am good and go for a long run/swim/bike ride, other times I just go window shopping or splash around on the beach without attempting serious exercise, but if I am finishing up a long stretch of overtime, I generally need to get out.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:52
Da Inglese a Olandese
+ ...
Relaxing, sailing, biking, photography, being out and about Nov 27, 2010

If the project was longer than a week and financially worth while and there isn't an urgent, new project waiting, I take a few days off. Sitting in a cafe with a double espresso in the one and an interesting magazine in the other hand is my idea of a good time. "Chatting someone up" is a favourite pastime of the people here, so there's never a dull moment.

Also, I always carry my DSLR camera with me to capture a nice scene, a flower, a bird. The scenery on Vancouver Island lends it
... See more
If the project was longer than a week and financially worth while and there isn't an urgent, new project waiting, I take a few days off. Sitting in a cafe with a double espresso in the one and an interesting magazine in the other hand is my idea of a good time. "Chatting someone up" is a favourite pastime of the people here, so there's never a dull moment.

Also, I always carry my DSLR camera with me to capture a nice scene, a flower, a bird. The scenery on Vancouver Island lends itself very well for that. Photography makes you look at things differently, with more of an eye for detail, composition, colour. It's a great hobby and not expensive anymore.

Used to worry a lot when there was no work coming in, but I'm past that now. I raised my rates and try to have a good time when there's no work and so far that's worked out fine.

I started this job for the freedom it brings, then I found myself voluntarily giving up that freedom for the sake of satisfying the demands by my clients. It wasn't worth it.
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brasile
Da Portoghese a Inglese
+ ...
Small - medium? Nov 27, 2010

Gianluca Marras wrote:

My projects are usually small - medium (from 3000 to 25000)

That's what you consider small to medium? To me that is long to very, very long...!!
A short job to me is from around 300 to 900 words and a medium one from 1000 to 2500...does that make me nuts?

Anyway, I usually like to read a book on my breaks, and many times I end up doing chores around the apartment - laundry, washing the dishes, taking the garbage out, sweeping and washing the floors, etc. If there's something interesting going on on Facebook sometimes I'll spend some time there.

Pagine:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you relax after a long/hard project?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »