Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you ask for a down payment before starting a big translation project (book, manual, etc)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:46
Member (2009)
French to English
Yes, for new - but also for old Dec 2, 2010

For me, it is a matter of cash flow. I had a potential new client who had a project that would have required my entire translation capacity for two months. With 30 day terms that would have left me without income for three months. The client had no problem whatsoever with the idea of a down payment, but the job fell apart for other reasons[1].

While the down payment would have provided security with a new client, the cash flow problem would remain with a trusted long-term client. I
... See more
For me, it is a matter of cash flow. I had a potential new client who had a project that would have required my entire translation capacity for two months. With 30 day terms that would have left me without income for three months. The client had no problem whatsoever with the idea of a down payment, but the job fell apart for other reasons[1].

While the down payment would have provided security with a new client, the cash flow problem would remain with a trusted long-term client. I think once a project goes over 4-6 weeks, it is a good idea to start thinking about a down payment.

[1] The client was stunned that when the word count came out at 150% of their estimate, the cost increased by a proportional amount. Imagine that.
Collapse

R.C. (X)
R.C. (X)
Local time: 20:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, but it does not affect the business if I don't get one Dec 2, 2010

Well I try saying that an advance payment is in fact a good way to build confidence between the parts, and make things clear - not everybody is ready to jot something down apparently, except large companies or cheaters. However if the client does not wish to do so but sounds serious, I just avoid conflict and accept the work nonetheless.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not systematically Dec 2, 2010

This kind of format where I live is governed by other forms of contract (not invoicing with VAT). So even if I translate a book under the system I am tax-registered for, I treat it as just another job.

I did do a long job for which I issued monthly invoices based on finished work, which were paid through the usual method.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:46
Spanish to English
Only the once Dec 2, 2010

But I'm so glad I did because it was a new client and they ended up ripping me off for the rest.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ask for a down payment before starting a big translation project (book, manual, etc)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »