Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think translators with a translation degree are more competent than those without one?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:52
Member (2009)
English to French
yes Dec 4, 2010

well at the risk of being unpopular, or maybe because I spent my youth years in getting a University degree in translation, I thought that someone qualified should be better. I must say that lots of people are translators without any qualification. Maybe I voted yes so that I got the impression that I did not waste my time studying

Hopefully, recognition with a Uni degree or professional body should be a bonus... See more
well at the risk of being unpopular, or maybe because I spent my youth years in getting a University degree in translation, I thought that someone qualified should be better. I must say that lots of people are translators without any qualification. Maybe I voted yes so that I got the impression that I did not waste my time studying

Hopefully, recognition with a Uni degree or professional body should be a bonus
Collapse

m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:52
English to Dutch
+ ...
not necessarily Dec 4, 2010

There are a lot of crappy translators out there who do have a translation degree and there are excellent translators who don't have a degree. It all depends.

However, a translation degree is very useful. People who haven't studied languages in a formal way, usually aren't very familiar with grammar and spelling rules, even in their mother tongue (well, I'm speaking for my own language, Dutch). And knowing your mother tongue, for me, is fundamental.

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:52
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Not necessarily but... Dec 4, 2010

I translated professionally and successfully for several years before doing my MA in translation, but it did have a really positive impact on my work itself and generally on my worklife, mainly because it forced me to reflect deeply on my methods and gave me the tools with which to explain to others how and why I do things a certain way. I don't know if my translations are better as a result, but at least I can now properly justify every single decision I make when translating a text. I'm not su... See more
I translated professionally and successfully for several years before doing my MA in translation, but it did have a really positive impact on my work itself and generally on my worklife, mainly because it forced me to reflect deeply on my methods and gave me the tools with which to explain to others how and why I do things a certain way. I don't know if my translations are better as a result, but at least I can now properly justify every single decision I make when translating a text. I'm not sure I ever would have taken the time to analyse my work as closely had I not taken the course, because as a freelancer your time becomes so valuable.Collapse

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:52
Member (2009)
French to English
There must be something to it Dec 4, 2010

I am confident in offering my services to clients that I am delivering a quality product and that my skills are sufficient to the task. Nonetheless, I am working on a translation certificate from NYU in order to improve my skills. I can think of few professions where the continuous desire to learn is so important. A translation degree is one clue that the translator has expended some effort on improving his or her skills, but it is certainly not the only method.

GeoS
GeoS
Local time: 05:52
Greek to English
+ ...
I votet no... Dec 4, 2010

...but it should be not necessarily.
I normally don't like talking about myself but...
I started in translation 12 years ago in a very known law firm in Greece where I was employed as "the girl for the copies..." I knew the language and loved it more than anything, I didn't know anything about PCs though. A very known lawyer of the firm asked me to do some translation for him as a (bad) joke...2 months later I did all the translation work for the firm, I was training big time on PC u
... See more
...but it should be not necessarily.
I normally don't like talking about myself but...
I started in translation 12 years ago in a very known law firm in Greece where I was employed as "the girl for the copies..." I knew the language and loved it more than anything, I didn't know anything about PCs though. A very known lawyer of the firm asked me to do some translation for him as a (bad) joke...2 months later I did all the translation work for the firm, I was training big time on PC usage and I was more happy than ever.
3 years later I was head of a translation dept of 12 people that got certification for classified material translation (defense), following personal examination by the Ministry of Defense.
My education: I've only finished High school...(I had to work and support my family, no time or money for studies...).
If I wanted to study translation: Well, YES!!!
It was a dream that never came true for me.
Yet, 12 years later I do the same job with the same clients, so I must be doing something right, though I do not have a degree.

Who knows, maybe if I'm lucky enough, when my 16-month boy gets a little older, I'll find some time to go after that degree...
Collapse

Komeil Zamani Babgohari
Komeil Zamani Babgohari  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 06:22
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Not necessarily Dec 17, 2010

training translation is a good way to increase the ability of translation, but there is something else in which a translator must bear and that is Creativity, Creativity and Creativity.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Request of the poster
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think translators with a translation degree are more competent than those without one?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »