Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If money were not an issue, would you still work in translation/interpretation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:26
German to English
To paraphrase Samuel Johnson Feb 27, 2023

No one but a blockhead ever translated except for money

(original: No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money)

Tom in London
IrinaN

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:26
French to English
In what parallel universe... Feb 27, 2023

... is money ever not an issue? Even if you have it, it's an issue. It's in our psychosocial mitochondria at this point.

Thanks for the question though

[Edited at 2023-02-27 16:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-02-27 16:19 GMT]

expressisverbis

BRUNO CALAZANS
BRUNO CALAZANS  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
yes Feb 27, 2023

I do think that money shouldnt matter, but it does, a lot. Still, doing something that you care about, that is helping others with your own knowledge, its something that makes you feel good and you are making a difference in your own community. Either way, I chose working with translation because I could make money doing something fun. So yeah, I would still do it.

MollyRose
Kathleen Kownacki
Muriel Vasconcellos

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:26
English to Swedish
+ ...
no Feb 28, 2023

I feel I have a few things that I would much rather dedicate myself to if money were not an issue.

It's not as if translating EU directives, user manuals for power tools and product descriptions of beauty creams is what I've always been dreaming of doing in life.

[Edited at 2023-02-28 20:34 GMT]

Kevin Fulton

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:26
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Yes Feb 28, 2023

In a communist state money is not an issue, yet translators exist. Do they love their work? Of course! Should we build a communist state? I don't think so.

Ryan Shevlane

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If money were not an issue, would you still work in translation/interpretation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »