Polish translator-internship,volunteering,work placement in US!!! help please :-)
Thread poster: Adriana Pac
Adriana Pac
Adriana Pac  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:28
Polish to English
+ ...
Mar 8, 2011

I am looking for a work placement in US (Washington DC). I am a student of BA Translation in London and I am looking for people who could give me some information about any agency in US who hire students for a year.

Looking forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

THANKS!!!!

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why Washington D.C.? Mar 8, 2011

Just curious.

The requirements for companies that wish to host a foreign intern are tough. Aside from the costly and time-consuming ordeal to get you approved for a J1 visa, the company must provide a full time education program for you. This might be difficult because this very agency must have work for you in your language pair pretty much 24/7. Which is unlikely.

Please note that the employer is not r
... See more
Just curious.

The requirements for companies that wish to host a foreign intern are tough. Aside from the costly and time-consuming ordeal to get you approved for a J1 visa, the company must provide a full time education program for you. This might be difficult because this very agency must have work for you in your language pair pretty much 24/7. Which is unlikely.

Please note that the employer is not required to pay you a cent, and you are not allowed to earn any money on the side. It is illegal, for you as well as for the employer.

Our immigration laws are strict - which is good because otherwise any company in the US could recruit cheap labor from foreign countries and disguise such illegal employment as "internship".

There are possibilities, though. Please check out this website:

http://ciee.org/hire/index.aspx

However, if you are simply planning on spending a cool year in the US, in a city of your choice with a nicely paid full-time job - this won't do, I am afraid.

Edited for typo.

[Edited at 2011-03-08 21:31 GMT]
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Even domestic internships are tough to get Mar 8, 2011

Nicole, you are correct in pointing out that the requirements for hiring foreign interns are extremely strict. I just thought I'd add that the requirements for taking on US persons as interns (unpaid interns in particular) are also very strict. Basically, the intern cannot do any kind of work from which the company benefits economically, or which the company would otherwise pay someone to do.

Adriana Pac
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for yor replies Mar 8, 2011

I used to be an au pair in US and would love to come back there, because I felt in love with this country. As a student of Translation I can go there for a year and must do 24 weeks as a translator to get credits.
I want to go to Washington D.C. because there is a family for whom I used to work and I could stay with them during the internship. I miss them so much and would love to go there for at least a year to see them.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Exactly. Mar 8, 2011

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Basically, the intern cannot do any kind of work from which the company benefits economically, or which the company would otherwise pay someone to do.

Thanks, Rudolf!

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Some things that you should never, ever mention in your visa application Mar 9, 2011

PLtranslator wrote:

- I used to be an au pair in US and would love to come back there
- I felt in love with this country
- I want to go to Washington D.C. because there is a family for whom I used to work and I could stay with them during the internship. I miss them so much and would love to go there for at least a year to see them.

Your visa will be denied right away.

Adriana Pac
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
visa Mar 9, 2011

As far I know I have to mention in the application if I was in US before....everythings is so complicated..;/

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nicole, I would not say so Mar 9, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

PLtranslator wrote:

- I used to be an au pair in US and would love to come back there
- I felt in love with this country
- I want to go to Washington D.C. because there is a family for whom I used to work and I could stay with them during the internship. I miss them so much and would love to go there for at least a year to see them.

Your visa will be denied right away.

Nicole, I am not sure why you are saying that.
Being an Au-pair is no grounds for denial, as long as it was a legal position with legally obtained visa, etc.
Visa applications are different based on the type of visa one is applying for, but they all require you to state the truth. Most of them ask whether the person was in the US before, some ask for exact dates and types of previous visas, past addresses, etc.
I am no expert on the topic, but I think lies are more likely to disqualify anybody, than stating the truth (especially if the truth involves nothing illegal).

Katalin

[Edited at 2011-03-09 15:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Polish translator-internship,volunteering,work placement in US!!! help please :-)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »