Research: Best universities...
Thread poster: Carlos Barros (X)
Carlos Barros (X)
Carlos Barros (X)
Local time: 22:36
English to Portuguese
Jul 18, 2011

Hello! Here is the thing I am already very fluent in english and portuguese (portuguese is my native language). But I want to study in a good translation university in Europe! I would like to study english, french and japanese for starters...

What I should look for?

Ps: I would love to enter with an english exam, I'm very good in english at least!

Pps: If I am not wrong all courses in europe start more or less at same time right?...
See more
Hello! Here is the thing I am already very fluent in english and portuguese (portuguese is my native language). But I want to study in a good translation university in Europe! I would like to study english, french and japanese for starters...

What I should look for?

Ps: I would love to enter with an english exam, I'm very good in english at least!

Pps: If I am not wrong all courses in europe start more or less at same time right?

Edit: I would like to enter there with an english exam please!

[Edited at 2011-07-18 19:12 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Very Good Jul 18, 2011

I'm very good in english at least!

But it appears that you missed the class where they dealt with capitalization. Thoroughly learn every detail of what you are studying before moving on to new things. You're not good enough yet, so keep going.

Carlos Barros (X)
Carlos Barros (X)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Henry Hinds Jul 19, 2011

Hey my friend! Not even in Portugal if I want to I could study just english... In a normal university degree you study 2 or 3 languages (including english). I just want to take a degree in english plus the other languages above... The only thing is that I want to explore the world (in this case europe, I can't go much far...)
As for my english must of it was self taught...

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Languages Jul 19, 2011

silveringking wrote:
As for my english must of it was self taught...

And it shows. Even more surprisingly, you say you are native in Portuguese, yet you translate from Portuguese to English.

Your priority should be to get really good at English, not dilute your efforts by learning yet more languages. Real mastery of one language is a much better basis for a career in translation than being average in three languages.

Carlos Barros (X)
Carlos Barros (X)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Yes... Jul 19, 2011

Well I study english... And you're right I got mistaken I translate from english to portuguese very well not the contrary... Yet it is like I said, here I can't study just one language...

Edit: Btw I really need to learn from an university because I talk very slangish, for example sometimes I can say "Why so serious!" instead of "Why are you so serious?". It is not like that I don't know, it is more the habit...

Edit2: Excuse me for talking like this, but in my culture
... See more
Well I study english... And you're right I got mistaken I translate from english to portuguese very well not the contrary... Yet it is like I said, here I can't study just one language...

Edit: Btw I really need to learn from an university because I talk very slangish, for example sometimes I can say "Why so serious!" instead of "Why are you so serious?". It is not like that I don't know, it is more the habit...

Edit2: Excuse me for talking like this, but in my culture telling an university you're going to study just one language in a translation course, they are going to tell that you're "gay", even people from math are expected to fully speak english! It is kind of a taboo not too, because according to our popular culture we are among the faster language speakers in the world, if we got focused we can learn quickly and well just from listening... People here NEVER learn just one language... I have this english teacher, and even him speaks french fluently...

Edit3: This is called desenrascanço policy (desenrascanço means disentangle yourself), this policy is deeply rooted on portuguese culture! If you're in a different environment, you adapt yourself and get a somewhat good solution in order to survive... I think as a portuguese I will NEVER succeed in a society who tells me that I am a born language genious...

Edit4: Ok let me express myself a bit... I consider myself with vocation for languages, but just learning english in my society is a taboo. (In a portuguese point of view english is tea and cookies and you don't even have to study it.) How can I expect to survive in a society were the singers sing in english instead of portuguese just because they don't like the taste of language. How can I expect to survive if I joke with french pronunciation. A 10000 people who never had french education tell me that "cruassant" is not the correct pronunciation of "croissant". How can I survive, if I move to a school 20 km away classmates already joke with my accent and tell me that I speak portuguese like a non educated person? I can't see the differences between the accent in city and in the next city. But they sure can... I can NEVER survive here just by learning english... When you're portuguese you even prefer english subtitles to brazilian portuguese ones... Some of us even prefer to see the movies without subtitles than with ones... And if it is on the tv, and you laught about one joke. Your friends joke too and tell you they didn't EVEN look at the subtitles...

See my stress? I think one language would make me a language paria....

[Edited at 2011-07-19 15:40 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 15:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
Concentrate on English Jul 19, 2011

I agree with other responders that you should concentrate on improving your English, which is far from fluent - I'm afraid you are overrating yourself. The best way to do that would be to go to England, live and study there for a few years. It is better to be good in one foreign language than to be mediocre in three. That would good enough for traveling but not for translating. You need to do what is best for you, whatever helps you advance in your career, and not let yourself be influenced by o... See more
I agree with other responders that you should concentrate on improving your English, which is far from fluent - I'm afraid you are overrating yourself. The best way to do that would be to go to England, live and study there for a few years. It is better to be good in one foreign language than to be mediocre in three. That would good enough for traveling but not for translating. You need to do what is best for you, whatever helps you advance in your career, and not let yourself be influenced by other people's prejudices.Collapse

Carlos Barros (X)
Carlos Barros (X)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
So... Jul 19, 2011

What university I should apply for then?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Salford? Jul 19, 2011

Welcome, Carlos.

From your specs, Salford may have an offer: See more
Welcome, Carlos.

From your specs, Salford may have an offer: http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/Degree-details/Modern-Languages-and-Translation-and-Interpreting-Studies-Portuguese-and-English-as-a-Foreign-Language-BA-Hons-course-details/52287188/3761/cdetail.html

There's a certain advantage to studying in a country where the second language is the predominant one.

On the other hand, studying translation is not like going to a language school. Translation schools do not have the time to teach languages. That's why they generally give admission exams -- to check that you no longer have to be taught, so as to get right down to the business of learning translation (so forget about learning French or Japanese -- you have to come what that learned already).

I'm not familiar with universities in Portugal, but since you are a Portuguese native, they might seem a logical choice (universities are generally strong in the direct translation component, and only a handful would offer the inverse directions, depending largely on faculty).

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Research: Best universities...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »