A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 7, 2002

Hi everyone.

I just received an e-mail with an attachment from [email protected]. with the title \"English to Spanish Medical Translators Wanted\". DON\'T OPEN IT AS IT CONTAINS A VIRUS! Hopefully, Henry will get on to the case.

Ana

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:21
English to Spanish
Why through ProZ? Oct 8, 2002

Hi Ana,

Why do you say the virus was sent through ProZ?

Thanks,

Andrea

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:21
English to German
+ ...
How can you be so sure? Oct 8, 2002

Ana,

Even if there was information in the message you received that would indicate some relation to ProZ (note that your posting does not provide any details to that effect), it\'s close to impossible to pinpoint the real source of this message. If the message contained the \'Bugbear\' worm (which seems to be the latest craze...), I suggest you check out the technical information availab
... See more
Ana,

Even if there was information in the message you received that would indicate some relation to ProZ (note that your posting does not provide any details to that effect), it\'s close to impossible to pinpoint the real source of this message. If the message contained the \'Bugbear\' worm (which seems to be the latest craze...), I suggest you check out the technical information available on www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]:

Quote:

It then uses its own SMTP engine to send itself to all email addresses that it finds. The worm also can construct addresses for the \"From:\" field using information that it harvests from the infected computer. For example, the worm may find the addresses [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]. The worm could create an email message addressed to [email protected] and spoof the \"From:\" address, so that it appears to come from [email protected]. The spoofed address can also be a valid email address that the worm finds on the system.

In addition to the following list of subjects, the worm can create a new message **It then uses its own SMTP engine to send itself to all email addresses that it finds. The worm also can construct addresses for the \"From:\" field using information that it harvests from the infected computer. For example, the worm may find the addresses [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]. The worm could create an email message addressed to [email protected] and spoof the \"From:\" address, so that it appears to come from [email protected]. The spoofed address can also be a valid email address that the worm finds on the system.

In addition to the following list of subjects, the worm can create a new message as a reply to or forward of an existing message on the infected system *as a reply to or forward of an existing message on the infected system.*

I would also suggest you check FAQ 20.5 on this site:

Quote:
I think I received an email virus from the ProZ.com site? Is that possible?

Not really. Most email viruses exploit security holes in Microsoft software. As the ProZ.com servers do not use any Microsoft software, it is extremely unlikely that a virus would be sent from ProZ.com. It is possible to receive viruses from other ProZ.com members, and it may even be possible for viruses to be attached to mail from ProZ.com, but only after it has left our servers and been processed by an infected machine (running Microsoft products).

No virus has ever been spread by the ProZ.com site or servers.

Spreading a rumour such as \"virus sent to ProZ\" is easy - doing it without substantiation is dangerous. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TO EVERYONE - VIRUS SENT THROUGH PROZ

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »