liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:48
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2011

Hello

I am not a very technically-minded person at all and would appreciate any help here.

I have been sent a zip file and have managed to open it. Inside the zip file are about 5 word files and 5 pdf files. The pdf files hold the same texts contained in the word files. Now, I have to translate from the word files. These word files contain Spanish text, plus tables and pictures. Now, I have tried to copy these files and change the name of these and save them as a Wo
... See more
Hello

I am not a very technically-minded person at all and would appreciate any help here.

I have been sent a zip file and have managed to open it. Inside the zip file are about 5 word files and 5 pdf files. The pdf files hold the same texts contained in the word files. Now, I have to translate from the word files. These word files contain Spanish text, plus tables and pictures. Now, I have tried to copy these files and change the name of these and save them as a Word 93 document.

The word files I have in the zip file are in "Rich Text Format" and when I try to save these files to any other format all it says to me is "these files are read-only files"...so what do I have to do in order to use the word files to translate the Spanish into English?

I hope this is clear to those of you who know something about this type of files.

If you have any question so I can make it any clearer, please feel free.

I have written back to the client, but this problem has occurred before, and I wondered whether there was anything I could do about it on my own.

Thank you!

Liz
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:48
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you open the files directly from teh archive? Feb 1, 2011

Not a good idea in fact...
You are supposed to open a ZIP archive and then UNZIPP the files from inside somewhere on your HDD. Working directly within the archive will not allow you to store changes.
Can you copy & paste the content of the files into new files? If yes, do so and save those new files.

liz askew
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do you UNZIP and go to HDD please? Feb 1, 2011

In answer to second suggestion, dear colleague, I was not able to copy and paste the entire content of each file, for some reason it would only let me copy certain parts of it!! so that complicates things too.

And what is HDD...I told you I am not at all technically-minded:)

Liz

liz askew
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello again Jerzy - I have managed to "extract" the files Feb 1, 2011

I don't know how I managed it, but I right clicked this time when I opened the zip file and was able to extract all the files and can now work on them by typing over the Spanish text and saving the final English translation.

Thanks a million!!

Liz

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Extracting ZIP files Feb 1, 2011

The easiest way is to open such file like it would be a folder in one window of Windows Explorer. Then select all files in the archive and press CTRL+C. Now open another window of Windows Explorer, create a target folder for your files and press CTRL+V.

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
unzip Feb 1, 2011

Liz,

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Not a good idea in fact...
You are supposed to open a ZIP archive and then UNZIPP the files from inside somewhere on your HDD. Working directly within the archive will not allow you to store changes.

See instructions here for unzipping the files (=extracting them from the compressed folder): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Compress-and-uncompress-files-zip-files.
These are for Vista but it's pretty similar in Windows 7 and in most versions of Windows I assume.
HDD = hard disk drive. You need to save the unzipped files on your hard disk, or as Jerzy mentioned you won't be able to amend the content and save the amendments.

With regards to saving read-only RTF into Wrd, normally it should be feasible if you change both the format and the name. E.g. save "XXX.rtf" under "XXX-1.doc"

Edit: oops, I see that our 3 latest posts crossed each other!
Good evening all!

[Edited at 2011-02-01 20:05 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Word 93? Feb 1, 2011

liz askew wrote:

and save them as a Word 93 document.

Hi Liz,
Are you really using Word 93?
Regards,
Emma

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Extract Feb 1, 2011

I thought the general idea was to Extract the relevant files and Save them to -and you select/create the folder where you want to put them - and then they're there and you can work on them.

liz askew
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Emma Feb 2, 2011

Hi Emma

No, I am using the latest version of Word, don't know why I put "93"....I always get mixed up with figures/numbers and have a poor memory when it comes to anything mathematical.

Cheers!

Liz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening zip files and copying the files in them

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »