Poland
Local time: 11:40
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 13, 2009

A PDF converter is available for free (only today) on Giveaway of the Day:

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/pdfzilla/

I do not know if it is any good, in fact, it might not be worth it at all (I use FineReader). However, for free it will not hurt to try, if only to have a tool for a quick wordcount of a PDF dcoument...

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:40
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My antivirus software (Vba32) issues a warning Jan 13, 2009

about malware and blocks the application.

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
tried it Jan 13, 2009

Jabberwock wrote:
I do not know if it is any good, in fact, it might not be worth it at all (I use FineReader). However, for free it will not hurt to try, if only to have a tool for a quick wordcount of a PDF dcoument...

Thank you for the tip. It can't do what FineReader can -- it only extracts the text that is already in the text form (no OCR). And the resulting text is all in boxes. So, simple copy-and-paste is better for a quick wordcount.
But the result looks nice, as far as the layout goes. Have yet to see what it will look like in TagEditor, though...

esperantisto wrote:
My antivirus software (Vba32) issues a warning

Thanks for the warning about a warning. I downloaded and used the installer from the vendor's site, and my KIS didn't mind. It is not the same file as on the "giveaway" site. But the "giveaway" license key works with it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not free Jan 13, 2009

Jabberwock wrote:
A PDF converter is available for free (only today) on Giveaway of the Day:
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/pdfzilla/

Looks useful, but I can't figure out how to get it for free. It is also only free for personal use. I did a single conversion of a PDF to MS Word and the conversion looked really nice.

==

Edited: Oh, I see I have to download it straight from the Giveaway web site, using the link lower down on that page, and not from the usual download location.

[Edited at 2009-01-13 10:51 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Personal use... Jan 13, 2009

I missed the notice about the personal use. That certainly makes it less useful for us...

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Both when installing and when uninstalling, Jan 13, 2009

that PDFZilla tried to connect to Internet without my consent or even any warning. This stinks like real malware to me. No, thanks, I don’t need garbage in my system.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
That's how it works... Jan 13, 2009

Of course it connects to the Internet, as this is how you obtain your free license (which is possible only on the given day). All Giveaways licenses work that way, but of course some people know better...

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Thanks Jan 13, 2009

Thank you for your timely notice. I am glad I read your message. I downloaded the soft and will use it.

Thanks again for taking your time and writing this in the forum.

Dziękuję, kolego!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDFZilla on the Giveaway of the Day

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »