Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:22
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 7, 2009

Hi colleagues,

I want to know how to create a text replacement in OpenOffice. I'm talking about writing some words and then the display of a whole word or words.

For instance, I write many times words like "Figura" but I prefer to write only "fg." and then wait for the replacement of the word. Another example is "diagrama de flujo", but I prefer to write only "df".

Thank you very much for your kind help!.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:22
Italian to English
+ ...
text replacement Mar 7, 2009

You could go to Tools, AutoCorrect and add entries into the dictionary, I would think.

R.
==

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:22
French to German
+ ...
A solution that works Mar 7, 2009

Hi Yaotl,
do you actually want to write only the abbreviations and to let Writer change these through the full word or expression?

If this is the case, go to Tools>SelfCorrections>Replace, type in your abbreviation in the left field and the full word in the right field. Click on New and then on OK - it should work, I have tried it. But be aware that Writer will render a full stop with a full stop, so it is better to write e.g. df rather than df(dot)

... See more
Hi Yaotl,
do you actually want to write only the abbreviations and to let Writer change these through the full word or expression?

If this is the case, go to Tools>SelfCorrections>Replace, type in your abbreviation in the left field and the full word in the right field. Click on New and then on OK - it should work, I have tried it. But be aware that Writer will render a full stop with a full stop, so it is better to write e.g. df rather than df(dot)

HTH

Laurent K.

PS: I use the French version and therefore not know the exact menu options names in the US one... Sorry for that.

[Edited at 2009-03-07 21:05 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:22
German to English
+ ...
AutoText Mar 7, 2009

Copy text for which you want a shortcut to the clipboard, then do Ctrl+F3. Paste into the "Name" box and enter the shortcut letters into the "Shortcut" box if you don't like OpenOffice's suggestion. Then click the AutoText button and select New (Text only). Click Close. Now if you type your shortcut and then hit F3 it should insert the full text. If your shortcut is three or more characters long you can also get it to "suggest" the text when you have typed the first three letters, which it will ... See more
Copy text for which you want a shortcut to the clipboard, then do Ctrl+F3. Paste into the "Name" box and enter the shortcut letters into the "Shortcut" box if you don't like OpenOffice's suggestion. Then click the AutoText button and select New (Text only). Click Close. Now if you type your shortcut and then hit F3 it should insert the full text. If your shortcut is three or more characters long you can also get it to "suggest" the text when you have typed the first three letters, which it will accept if you hit Enter.

See "AutoText" in the OpenOffice Help files.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:22
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Notes Mar 7, 2009

Rick and my Scottish friend:

Thank you very much for your help.

There was something unnoticed. The language tab is important too as a difference in language can skip the changes. I translate my documents in Mexican Spanish but the corrections I was filling were in Spain's Spanish.

Now, I wonder how can we spread this entries to several or all languages using the benefits of an open source program as OpenOffice. I had to fill my entries in both Spanish
... See more
Rick and my Scottish friend:

Thank you very much for your help.

There was something unnoticed. The language tab is important too as a difference in language can skip the changes. I translate my documents in Mexican Spanish but the corrections I was filling were in Spain's Spanish.

Now, I wonder how can we spread this entries to several or all languages using the benefits of an open source program as OpenOffice. I had to fill my entries in both Spanish sections.

Have a great weekend!
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
Portuguese to English
+ ...
find/replace Mar 9, 2009

You could simply type the text as you suggest, with the abbreviations, and then, upon completion, use the find/replace option (in the Edit menu), and do:
find: df
replace: diagrama de flujo
replace all

Of course, you have to be careful with some letter combinations that naturally occur in words.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OpenOffice text replacement

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »