Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:37
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 18, 2004

Is there a tool for replacing text in metafiles (wmf, emf)? I have multiple graphic files in which text is saved as text objects and I wonder if it is possible to automate some operations.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
yes, here Jun 18, 2004

Jabberwock wrote:

Is there a tool for replacing text in metafiles (wmf, emf)? I have multiple graphic files in which text is saved as text objects and I wonder if it is possible to automate some operations.
Hi! convert these to .png and process with Fireworks, then you can process the text in the graphics.
Regards,
Brandis

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Which program? Jun 7, 2007

Brandis wrote:
convert these to .png and process with Fireworks, then you can process the text in the graphics.
Regards,
Brandis

Hi Brandis and all,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
When you click on the .emf to convert them, which program do you open them in first?!
I was astonished to see that neither Acrobat 7 nor Photoshop CS2 wants to open these files.

Windows suggested that I open them in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, but this lousy software seems to only export as lo-res .png, which means that the resulting files are unreadable.

I don't have Fireworks at hand, but I doubt that the minimal .png from MOPM will work out.

Did anyone try CS3 yet, maybe Adobe has better support for the EMF format now?!

/Jan

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Working with Word... Jun 7, 2007

I've noticed that when you edit the embedded emf file within Word (right-click and "Edit picture"), Word converts it to its internal picture format. This, in turn, may be easily exposed to editing (in TagEditor, for example).

Note that you will lose some settings at conversion (for example, the placeholder is bigger so some graphics have to be resized), but it still may be worth it...

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Not embedded Jun 7, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

I've noticed that when you edit the embedded emf file within Word (right-click and "Edit picture"), Word converts it to its internal picture format.

Hi Jabberwock,

Maybe I missed something, but my EMF files are not embedded.
They are flowcharts that have been exported from MS Visio (no, I don't have access to the originals).

So if I would try to open the .emf in Word, I only get garbled data, since it cannot be parsed.

/Jan

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Standalone emf? Jun 7, 2007

Sorry, it seems I was too preoccupied with my previous problem...

Then the files are standalone, not included in the Word file?

It all depends really on what you want to do with them. If you want the same set of emf files, but translated, then this might is somewhat more difficult (but doable).

Here is what I would do:

1. Insert the files into a Word document (using Insert/Picture from file, as Word does not open the files directly).
2. C
... See more
Sorry, it seems I was too preoccupied with my previous problem...

Then the files are standalone, not included in the Word file?

It all depends really on what you want to do with them. If you want the same set of emf files, but translated, then this might is somewhat more difficult (but doable).

Here is what I would do:

1. Insert the files into a Word document (using Insert/Picture from file, as Word does not open the files directly).
2. Convert (by editing) the pictures into internal Word pictures, hoping they are not too messed up.
3. Edit the files with TagEditor or equivalent.
4. If the client is OK with a Word file (or PDF etc.), then it stops there. If not, I would try this:
5. "Convert" the internal Word files into emf files by cutting them out and pasting as metafile again (could be done with a macro, if there are many of them).
5. Extract the graphic files as described here: http://www.proz.com/post/582040#582040 The files will be saved as emz, which is simply zipped emf.

I hope this is clear enough. If not, feel free to ask, preferably here as someone else might find it useful.

[Zmieniono 2007-06-07 14:17]
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Yet another solution... Jun 7, 2007

Another solution might be to open the emf files with another editor (it must be a vector graphics editor, such as Illustrator, Corel Draw, etc.) and save it as a SVG file.

A lot depends on the import/export method of a given program, as some of them tend to interpret text as curves (e.g. Corel Draw imports and exports the files I tried it with properly, Inkscape does not). If the export works as expected, i.e. the text may be seen in the svg (which is a subset of xml) as text, then
... See more
Another solution might be to open the emf files with another editor (it must be a vector graphics editor, such as Illustrator, Corel Draw, etc.) and save it as a SVG file.

A lot depends on the import/export method of a given program, as some of them tend to interpret text as curves (e.g. Corel Draw imports and exports the files I tried it with properly, Inkscape does not). If the export works as expected, i.e. the text may be seen in the svg (which is a subset of xml) as text, then you might edit the SVG files directly with TagEditor, or any other CAT which allows xml definitions.
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thanks a million! Jun 13, 2007

Thanks Jabberwock, you're really resourceful!

I didn't have time to try your methods yet, the client was satisfied with a crappy PDF with translation pasted as stickies...

But this surely will be the way to go next time.

/Jan

TSDM
TSDM
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:37
Russian to English
segmenting for imported svg files — any ideas? Aug 31, 2009

Jabberwock,
This seems like a very very good idea. However, when I imported the svg file using the xml filter each letter is segmented as a seperate segment (quite a challenge)!
I would appreciate anyone's input into how to make segmenting work on emf files converted to svg.
I'll also contact tech support at memoq, who are amazing at coming up with elegant solutions to difficult problems, and post here any results.
Here's hoping that you will still see this posting even t
... See more
Jabberwock,
This seems like a very very good idea. However, when I imported the svg file using the xml filter each letter is segmented as a seperate segment (quite a challenge)!
I would appreciate anyone's input into how to make segmenting work on emf files converted to svg.
I'll also contact tech support at memoq, who are amazing at coming up with elegant solutions to difficult problems, and post here any results.
Here's hoping that you will still see this posting even though the thread is quite old at this point.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Hard to tell... Sep 1, 2009

Yes, I'm still there

Have you checked the SVG file with a text editor?

I suspect it might be a Unicode issue, but have not idea how to solve it...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search/replace text in metafile files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »