Thread poster: Naomi Yamamoto
Naomi Yamamoto
Naomi Yamamoto  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:21
English to Japanese
Feb 24, 2022

Hello.

Does anyone use free website translation tools? If so, which one do you recommend?

I'd like to add another language to the existing website in English and French.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Naomi

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Depends on the site Feb 24, 2022

Naomi Yamamoto wrote:
I'd like to add another language to the existing website in English and French.

Do you know anything about web design (i.e. can you create the pages yourself)? Whether there may be a free tool to help translate the web site depends on the type of web site, i.e. whether it's e.g. Wordpress/Joomla or plain HTML or hosted at a design-your-own hosting company like Wix, Weebly or Jimdo.

Jorge Payan

Naomi Yamamoto
Canada
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 1, 2022

Thanks so much, Samuel.

I've only used Wix for website creation. I've used the CAT tools such as SDL Trados and Deja Vu and I wonder if there are any good "free" tool for website translation (some people like OmegaT). I'll double-check the type of my client's website (if they has HTML files or other). Thanks!

Naomi Yamamoto
Canada
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
translating HTML files Mar 2, 2022

Hello again.

I got the website URL and checked the source. It's HTML and not that big and so I prefer to translate without using a CAT tool for this small project.

However, which application is ideal to translate HTML files? And is there a way to change text color so that it's obvious where I translate and avoid deleting any tags?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, it's not HTML Mar 2, 2022

Naomi Yamamoto wrote:
I got the website URL and checked the source. It's HTML...

What you see in your browser is HTML, but that doesn't mean that the files that your client would be able to use are in HTML. Many modern web sites are written in other languages, and when the website is "sent" to the requester (i.e. to you who type in the URL), the server converts it to HTML so that your browser can interpret it. This means that when you save the file from your browser, or "view source" in the browser, you will see HTML, but that doesn't mean that the files on the client's server are in HTML.

The best way to translate a web site these days is to tell the client that they should ask their web developer for the files to translate, and explain to the client that you are able to translate HTML files without any problems, in case the web developer chooses to send you HTML files.

You can do what you are currently doing: visiting the site and downloading the files (or copy/pasting from the browser itself), but there is a risk that those files will be of less use to the client's web developer. It's best to explain to the client in what format you will be delivering the translation, before you do the translation.

However, which application is ideal to translate HTML files? And is there a way to change text color so that it's obvious where I translate and avoid deleting any tags?

Most/all CAT tools can handle HTML files, and they use "tagging" to prevent you from editing stuff that you're not supposed to edit. You say you have experience with Trados etc. -- do you know what we mean by "tags" in the CAT tool?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website translation tool

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »