Spain
Local time: 17:56
Member (2019)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2022

Dear friends,

I hope you are all doing great.

One of my clients asked me to transcribe—in REAL TIME—an online meeting that will soon take place over Zoom. Although I am an experienced transcriptionist, this is the first time ever that I am asked to provide this service LIVE. In other words: I am expected to type every word the attendees say and to assure that these words are displayed on the screen during the meeting.

Do you know, by any chance, any too
... See more
Dear friends,

I hope you are all doing great.

One of my clients asked me to transcribe—in REAL TIME—an online meeting that will soon take place over Zoom. Although I am an experienced transcriptionist, this is the first time ever that I am asked to provide this service LIVE. In other words: I am expected to type every word the attendees say and to assure that these words are displayed on the screen during the meeting.

Do you know, by any chance, any tool suitable for this job? Could you please share any piece of advice?

I am really grateful for your time and help in advance!

Daniel E. S.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Live subtitling Sep 5, 2022

Hi Daniel,

What you're about to do is called live subtitling. Respeaking is the most common method to do this, although no one prohibits you from using a stenotype or a velotype keyboard if you're good at them. In any case, if you decided to do it through respeaking technique, Dragon Naturally Speaking seems to be the preferred tool, a
... See more
Hi Daniel,

What you're about to do is called live subtitling. Respeaking is the most common method to do this, although no one prohibits you from using a stenotype or a velotype keyboard if you're good at them. In any case, if you decided to do it through respeaking technique, Dragon Naturally Speaking seems to be the preferred tool, according to this old thread. I believe WinCaps Pro and SubtitleNEXT also have automatic speech recognition modules you can use for live subtitling.

That being said, I have never done this type of subtitling task myself. So I have no practical experience regarding this matter. I'll let the other colleagues who have done it to chime in and give you a more informed advice. You can also ask about it in this thread. The folks there are far more knowledgeable than I am.

HTH

P.S.
Do ask your client if you can have access to delayed broadcast. It'll help you TREMENDOUSLY.

[Edited at 2022-09-05 15:42 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice regarding Live Transcribing tool

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »