Separate TMs for Simplified and Traditional Chinese?
Thread poster: Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:58
Chinese to English
Sep 21, 2015

Hello,

Does everyone else here use separate TMs for simplified and traditional Chinese?

When I first started translating I created two separate TMs and have used them ever since. I don't think there is a way to combine them due to the differences with the script.

Does anyone work with just a single TM for both simplified and traditional? I can't see how it would work.

Thanks,

Mark

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:58
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Two for me too Oct 19, 2015

Mark Sanderson wrote:

Hello,

Does everyone else here use separate TMs for simplified and traditional Chinese?

When I first started translating I created two separate TMs and have used them ever since. I don't think there is a way to combine them due to the differences with the script.

Does anyone work with just a single TM for both simplified and traditional? I can't see how it would work.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

I, like you, use two sets of TMs for Simplified and Traditional for my Déjà Vu X3, which I think is happy with two sets rather than one in term of operation and perhaps original design.

Another reason is that I think it's easier for me to use them. When I translate Simpllfied I just use the Simplified TM and when Traditional I use the Traditional TM. Like 0 and 1 really.

I have done Oral Cantonese audio/video transcripts recently, hence I've opened the third TM for my easy access even though Cantonese is also Traditional.

To be honest, I did worry a bit whether the CAT system would be confused if I mixed Simplified and Traditional into one, hence I did not combine them.

Not sure this makes sense. What CAT tool do you use?

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Separate TMs for Simplified and Traditional Chinese?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »