Where to source free model texts for sampling?
Thread poster: Siskia Lagomarsino
Siskia Lagomarsino
Siskia Lagomarsino  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:34
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 28, 2023

I've mostly rounded out my ProZ profile with everything required and recommended, save for sample texts. I have produced a few samples in my target languages in PDF format to provide to potential customers, but they're not texts I own: rather they're samples of texts found in relevant internet forums and blogs, with proper credit added below. The ProZ Portfolio feature requires that I confirm I own the source text, however, which most often isn't the case.

I don't feel comfortable
... See more
I've mostly rounded out my ProZ profile with everything required and recommended, save for sample texts. I have produced a few samples in my target languages in PDF format to provide to potential customers, but they're not texts I own: rather they're samples of texts found in relevant internet forums and blogs, with proper credit added below. The ProZ Portfolio feature requires that I confirm I own the source text, however, which most often isn't the case.

I don't feel comfortable sharing samples of work I've done for paying customers in the past (and even more because at the time, some of them were under NDA, which even if time has passed I feel compelled to continue respecting). Where could I find short sample texts in a variety of fields for practice and sampling? I'm mostly a generalist so all subjects and forms of practice are welcome, although the bulk of my work is cultural (film, music, literature, other forms of written and audiovisual media) and I have some tangential experience in IT and medical translation.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

sonimus122

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:34
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Siskia Aug 28, 2023

It’s difficult because of copyright. AFAIK newspapers and magazines articles published before 1977 are not copyrighted. Can you find one (maybe at a local library)? I wonder if the source texts that have been used in Proz Translation Contests are copyrighted…

sonimus122

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Siskia Aug 28, 2023

Suggested reading:
https://publicdomainreview.org/guide-to-finding-interesting-public-domain-works-online/

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Siskia Lagomarsino

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:34
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Creative Commons Content Aug 28, 2023

You'd have to check, but it may be that, for example, Wikipedia articles
are licensed under the Creative Commons BY-SA licence, and that you can use them by
citing the source and adding a link to the original page.
(you could also check if there is already a version in the target language,
but generally AFAIK Wikipedia articles are not translated 1:1).

Siskia Lagomarsino

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Maria Aug 29, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:
AFAIK newspapers and magazines articles published before 1977 are not copyrighted.

This only applies to US newspapers and magazines. What you're saying is not quite accurate, either. Before 1977, if a newspaper in the US had not specifically added a copyright notice somewhere in the newspaper (it didn't have to be close to the article in question), the publication is deemed to be free of copyright (what in the US is called "public domain"). Non-US newspapers have always had copyright, regardless of whether they added a copyright notice. All US newspapers from after 1977 have copyright automatically, even if they do not add a copyright notice.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ownership Aug 29, 2023

Siskia Lagomarsino wrote:
The ProZ Portfolio feature requires that I confirm I own the source text, however, which most often isn't the case.

What texts could any translator "own"? It's a daft requirement.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 11:34
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Just a thought Sep 21, 2023

What if you used AI to spin a copyrighted text so that it would become an original? Would that work?

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Ask the authors of the texts Sep 22, 2023

The ProZ Portfolio feature requires that I confirm I own the source text, however, which most often isn't the case.

It more technically says that you must either own the source text or confirm that you have explicit permission to use it, so this provides you with numerous options as it is often just a matter of asking the author of the text for the permission you are seeking.

Rachel Waddington

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to source free model texts for sampling?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »