Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 00:36
Miembro 2003
inglés al italiano
+ ...
Jun 24, 2008

Hallo,
Planning a trip to the Caucasus, I decided to subscribe to Couch Surfing and then create
a group for fellow translators/interpreters who, every once in a while, take a bagpack and travel.
It's not fully-fledged yet, I have to work at it and accept your ideas and/or comments.
Please have a look and hopefully subscribe...
See more
Hallo,
Planning a trip to the Caucasus, I decided to subscribe to Couch Surfing and then create
a group for fellow translators/interpreters who, every once in a while, take a bagpack and travel.
It's not fully-fledged yet, I have to work at it and accept your ideas and/or comments.
Please have a look and hopefully subscribe

http://www.couchsurfing.com/group.html?gid=12238

Ciao,
Paola

[Edited at 2008-06-24 15:52]
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungría
Miembro 2002
inglés al húngaro
+ ...
staying in people's homes Jun 24, 2008

Dear Paola,

It's a good idea to have the latest Lonely Planet with you. Having said that, the best places to stay are usually not listed there. Both in Tbilisi and Yerevan (and also in some places in the countryside) you can stay in private homes. Normally these are "babushki" or ladies in their 50's or 60's who rent out a room or two in their apartment for very reasonable prices. (The going rate in 2002 was 5 dollars per person per night.)

Once you find a place like th
... See more
Dear Paola,

It's a good idea to have the latest Lonely Planet with you. Having said that, the best places to stay are usually not listed there. Both in Tbilisi and Yerevan (and also in some places in the countryside) you can stay in private homes. Normally these are "babushki" or ladies in their 50's or 60's who rent out a room or two in their apartment for very reasonable prices. (The going rate in 2002 was 5 dollars per person per night.)

Once you find a place like this, they usually have a whole network of friends, relatives or former colleagues in the entire region who also rent out rooms. So eventually it's very easy to find cheap places to stay. Speaking at least some Russian is VERY useful.

I used to be a subscriber of a Caucasian travel newsletter, I have to dig it up - there were some very useful tips. Another good source of practical information is the Thorn Tree section of Lonely Planet. (www.lonelyplanet.com)

Feel free to ask for any additional practical advice.

Csaba
Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italia
Miembro 2003
inglés al italiano
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thanks, Csaba Jun 24, 2008

Of course, I've already ordered the Lonely Planet bible,
but I like the idea of translators who travel, hopefully in a different way.
This topic was actually meant to advertise my creation
and please, feel free to join. Pamela has already done

Ciao
Paola

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new group created in CS - please have a look

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »