Off topic: Acting like James Bond
Thread poster: Simon North
Simon North
Simon North
Local time: 07:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 15, 2003

The most unusual translation job I have had so far was about 15 years ago. It was the MBA thesis of the managing director of a leading domestic electrical manufacturer. Most of his thesis covered a plan for restructuring the staffing of the company, including a lot of compulsory layoffs. I had to the translation on his laptop, at his desk, locked in his office. I was allowed to see no-one, talk to no-one, and not mention a word about anything I had heard, read, or seen. I had to sneak into the o... See more
The most unusual translation job I have had so far was about 15 years ago. It was the MBA thesis of the managing director of a leading domestic electrical manufacturer. Most of his thesis covered a plan for restructuring the staffing of the company, including a lot of compulsory layoffs. I had to the translation on his laptop, at his desk, locked in his office. I was allowed to see no-one, talk to no-one, and not mention a word about anything I had heard, read, or seen. I had to sneak into the office early in the morning and slide out in the evening doing the best I could to pretend I had never been there ... odd to say the least.Collapse

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
North, Simon North Jul 15, 2003

Simon North wrote:

The most unusual translation job I have had so far was about 15 years ago. It was the MBA thesis of the managing director of a leading domestic electrical manufacturer. Most of his thesis covered a plan for restructuring the staffing of the company, including a lot of compulsory layoffs. I had to the translation on his laptop, at his desk, locked in his office. I was allowed to see no-one, talk to no-one, and not mention a word about anything I had heard, read, or seen. I had to sneak into the office early in the morning and slide out in the evening doing the best I could to pretend I had never been there ... odd to say the least.

My name is North. Simon North Wasn't Roger Moore also Simon Templar?
At least you weren't issued a cyanide pill, right?

[Edited at 2003-07-15 15:13]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:42
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Old one :) Jul 16, 2003

Hi, my name is Bond, James Bond...

-Damme, Van Damme, Jean Van Damme, Jean-Claude Van Damme...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acting like James Bond

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »