Thread poster: Monique Laville
Monique Laville
Monique Laville  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:12
Italian to French
+ ...
Mar 14, 2009

Go on this site, you will be faced with someone ready to pronounce the phrases you will write. She/he moves head and eyes when you point your mouse on them:

http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php

You can try english to french or french to english, or other languages, to get funny pronounciations.

This is a project born in Grenoble
... See more
Go on this site, you will be faced with someone ready to pronounce the phrases you will write. She/he moves head and eyes when you point your mouse on them:

http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php

You can try english to french or french to english, or other languages, to get funny pronounciations.

This is a project born in Grenoble, at the Centre de Recherche Linguistique de Xerox, in collaboration with the Université Stendhal. It does not seem to be on the market yet.

Could be useful for those teaching languages to children.

Have a nice week-end.
Monique
Collapse

Lynda Tharratt
Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:12
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Freaky! Mar 14, 2009

I just tried it out...interesting. It would be nice if it were coupled with a translation program so that it would be more applicable to language learners.

Thanks for posting this

Lynda

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:12
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
automated text-to-voice bilingual announcements Mar 14, 2009

My son's school makes public announcements via telephone using automated recordings. These messages are always recorded bilingually in English and Spanish. Usually it is the principal reading the English version and a Spanish-speaking member of the office staff reading the Spanish.

One time, they tried using automated text-to-voice technology, feeding both the English text and the Spanish text into it. Unfortunately, they apparently did not have or did not think to use Spanish-spec
... See more
My son's school makes public announcements via telephone using automated recordings. These messages are always recorded bilingually in English and Spanish. Usually it is the principal reading the English version and a Spanish-speaking member of the office staff reading the Spanish.

One time, they tried using automated text-to-voice technology, feeding both the English text and the Spanish text into it. Unfortunately, they apparently did not have or did not think to use Spanish-specific text-to-voice settings, because the Spanish text was read following English rules of pronunciation! The result was really hilarious. I sat there repeating the message over and over again while my son helped me set up an external mike on my computer so we could record it for posterity.

(On the topic of living in a multilingual/multiethnic community--my daughter's grade school sent out announcements in trilingual print form--English, Spanish, and Amharic!)
Collapse

Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:12
French to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for posting this Mar 14, 2009

It is quite useful and comprehensive. Thanks!

Best regards from Spain,

Silvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Amazing! Various languages pronounciation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »