Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:05
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some people make a distinction in English, too Apr 3, 2009

I think that Gender Studies scholars define gender as "performative" and sex as biological/genetic.... or something like that. I find the terminology in this area a little confusing.

The impression I get is that a transgender person born biologically female but living as a man would be considered as belonging to the male "gender" under this definition, but perhaps not the male "sex."

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:05
French to English
Just what I was going to say! Apr 3, 2009

Steven Capsuto wrote:
I think that Gender Studies scholars define gender as "performative" and sex as biological/genetic.... or something like that. I find the terminology in this area a little confusing.

The impression I get is that a transgender person born biologically female but living as a man would be considered as belonging to the male "gender" under this definition, but perhaps not the male "sex."

Absolutely. Gender is how you live. Sex is yer bits and bobs.
So for example, if you had a pre-op transexual with a bank account, he or she (in all senses!) could choose the gender that may sure they got letters addressed to Mr or Ms or whatever as they liked, without having to actually lie about their sex on the form. Something like that, anyway.

And I too used to be a member of the "sex for people (nurse, the screens!) and gender for grammar" club, but I can see the point of making the distinction now. I'm fine with the old fashioned way, and I use it in my translations, but if a client asked, I'd be happy to go with gender.

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:05
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well not really the point... Apr 3, 2009

My intention in posting this example was not too much to enter into the debate on whether or not he's right. He's wrong for many reasons, some of which were already stated by Tony and Lingua, but also because all other applications in the bank are translated as "Sex", so simply for consistency's sake we should stick with that.

We do believe he has a problem with that word, because I actually incorrectly cited the French in my first post. In fact on the French screen he originally in
... See more
My intention in posting this example was not too much to enter into the debate on whether or not he's right. He's wrong for many reasons, some of which were already stated by Tony and Lingua, but also because all other applications in the bank are translated as "Sex", so simply for consistency's sake we should stick with that.

We do believe he has a problem with that word, because I actually incorrectly cited the French in my first post. In fact on the French screen he originally insisted on using the word "Genre" (which would be correctly translated as Gender) and even in French this is pretty wrong, "Sexe" also being the standardly adopted French word in other applications.

I probably could have put corrections that were even more obviously incorrect based on the context of a screen, such as:
Corporate Clients --> Corporates (grammatically incorrect, though sometimes accepted insider jargon: therefore inappropriate )
But the rest are difficult to explain because you have to already be knee deep in the junk.

Having dealt with this for a while, it's interesting that we (French programmers and Translation team) are in complete giggles over here about the entire situation and yet this forum is taking it so seriously!

One of my collegues has been trying all day to get him on the phone and ask his reasons on why he has a problem with Sex. I can't wait to hear his answer.

...bits and bobs.

Ha ha! just saw your post Charlie. I'm going to second you on that! The subject has gotten so complicated nowadays, I guess that's all you can base anything on!

[Edited at 2009-04-03 13:32 GMT]
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:05
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Being politically correct... Apr 3, 2009

I will answer with a story:

A nine year old boy was filling out his soccer application. In the middle of it, he asked his father:

- Dad, what is Sex?

You should have seen dad's face!!!

- Son, let's go for a walk in the park.

There in the park, dad began telling his 9 yr old about the birds and the bees. After dad was done, his son asked:

- Oh, so this was what they meant in the application by "SEX"

... See more
I will answer with a story:

A nine year old boy was filling out his soccer application. In the middle of it, he asked his father:

- Dad, what is Sex?

There in the park, dad began telling his 9 yr old about the birds and the bees. After dad was done, his son asked:

- Oh, so this was what they meant in the application by "SEX"

[Edited at 2009-04-05 03:00 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I thought it would be the other one Apr 3, 2009

Mine was a six year old boy, not doing anything specific, and...

Monika Coulson wrote:
... he asked his father:

- Dad, what's a couple?
- It's a man and a woman together, like me and your mom.

Then the boy asked:
Monika Coulson wrote:
- Dad, what is Sex?

There in the park, dad began telling his 9 yr old about the birds and the bees. After dad was done...

... he asked:
- Why did you ask?
- Because mom said dinner would be ready in a couple of secs. It's probably cold by now.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I recall Apr 3, 2009

I don't think this is the case, but when I worked in the Oil & Gas Industry, installing oil rigs, one day all our computers were audited by means of a software in order to identify any violations to the Company Communications Systems, specifically to the Internet use.

I believe the audit software run on the computers sought for the use of adult sites and the like, because some of the reports showed lists of "warning" words. Such words were, among others (common in the industry):... See more
I don't think this is the case, but when I worked in the Oil & Gas Industry, installing oil rigs, one day all our computers were audited by means of a software in order to identify any violations to the Company Communications Systems, specifically to the Internet use.

I believe the audit software run on the computers sought for the use of adult sites and the like, because some of the reports showed lists of "warning" words. Such words were, among others (common in the industry):

Screw, erection, stud, shaft, tools, pumping, etc., etc.

I believe the IT auditor applied a good judgement after all, otherwise most of us would have been warned/fired.
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Apr 3, 2009

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Perhaps he wants to avoid replies like
'Sex: only on a Sunday morning

Or

'Sex: yes, please!'

[Edited at 2009-04-03 17:16 GMT]

teju
teju  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
True story... Apr 3, 2009

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Perhaps he wants to avoid replies like
'Sex: only on a Sunday morning

Seen in an application:

Sex: "As often as possible"

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Gender on an application form is not rare Apr 3, 2009

Tony M wrote:
But that is just the point Maria — although 'gender' may be a suitable word to use in a technical or even more formal context, in this relatively everyday context, 'sex' is the word you'd expect to find on any equivalent EN document.

Google to the rescue:

* http://www.google.com/search?q=application%20gender%20male%20female
* http://www.google.com/search?q=application%20gender%20male%20female

The ratio of gender:sex in application forms is roughly equal, namely 8:9. The claim that "gender" is rare or uncommon in application forms remains unproven.

eva maria bettin
eva maria bettin
German to Italian
+ ...
translation test Apr 7, 2009

Well- once I needed a secretary with language skills - preparared a test, nothing really difficult.
(sorry not everybody will understand it- but it can't be translated - again)

"Il signore ha letto un quotidiano" = the misses has bed a daily (that was the best one I ever found- : il- the- signore- pl. of Ladies (but it was a man) letto - bed (has read) daily - (newspaper)

"una tratta tirata sulla piazza di Roma" = eine Strecke wird auf den Roemischen Platz gewor
... See more
Well- once I needed a secretary with language skills - preparared a test, nothing really difficult.
(sorry not everybody will understand it- but it can't be translated - again)

"Il signore ha letto un quotidiano" = the misses has bed a daily (that was the best one I ever found- : il- the- signore- pl. of Ladies (but it was a man) letto - bed (has read) daily - (newspaper)

"una tratta tirata sulla piazza di Roma" = eine Strecke wird auf den Roemischen Platz geworfen.

" das mit * gekennzeichnete Wort" = la parola chiamata "Asterix" (where Obelix is- I don't know.

"KUDOZ!!!!: (Austrian) "cappuccino mit Obers" - (Obers or Schlagobers is whipped cream) ! Ober- is the guy serving You, the waiter. How many Obers can they put on a cup of Cappuccino?

Have a nice day!
Eva maria

Could anybody tell me where to find these automatic translation programs?
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Depends on the context Apr 11, 2009

Jenny Forbes wrote:

The use of "gender" on forms, etc. instead of "sex", is regrettably modish and almost universally adopted now in the UK, although it is, of course, grammatically wrong, except in relation to grammar.

Dare I suggest that there is a difference between asking somebody's gender and asking their sex? For some people their gender is a question of identity rather than simply one of biology. So it could depend what the form is that is being filled in and sometimes "sex" is appropriate (as in a bank application form), but there could be circumstances where "gender" would be more appropriate.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:35
German to English
Left out altogether Apr 12, 2009

I've seen forms where the words "gender" or "sex" are left out altogether. It just says "Male/Female" or "M/F" with the tick box next to it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stubborn client insists on no Sex

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »