Thread poster: Anna Blackab (X)
Ben Gaia
Ben Gaia  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 13:36
French to English
+ ...
Don't bust a gut! May 9, 2007

That's what NZers say to someone off to work hard.

Peter Shortall wrote:

I think what you've mentioned is related to the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, according to which (in a nutshell) there are ideas in some languages which you can't express in others, (...)

Another little phrase, off the top of my head: "spor la treabă/lucru!" in Romanian, which is what you say to someone when they're working or going to do some kind of work or other. Very roughly, "spor" means something like "efficiency" so the literal meaning would be "[I wish you] efficiency with [your] work!" But I don't think there's really anything idiomatic that you could say in English in that situation.

[Edited at 2007-05-03 12:45]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 21:36
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
isn't that funny? May 9, 2007

When we bust a gut, we're laughing, not working!!!

Sending someone off to work, we'd likely tell them to "break a leg".

Nancy

pashtet
pashtet
United States
Local time: 21:36
English to Russian
+ ...
american slang May 9, 2007

I don't think that the American slang phrase "sucks to be you" can be translated into Russian:)))

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
English to Arabic
+ ...
small correction May 9, 2007

Veronika Masopustová wrote:

And the first speaker may continue: sabah-al-ward (-good- morning of rose or I wish you a rosy morning). And the answerer goes on as if trying to beat each other: sabah-al-ful (I whish you a morning full of beans --- f.e. typical Egyptian breaksfast is beans)... and if their both in good moods they may continue endlessly.

Hi Veronika,

Just a small correction - sabah-al-ful doesn't actually mean "I wish you a morning full of beans!". It doesn't refer to "fool" (beans), but the lovely white fragrant flower "foll", the English name of which eludes me..

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:36
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Ooops - that's funny! May 10, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

Hi Veronika,

Just a small correction - sabah-al-ful doesn't actually mean "I wish you a morning full of beans!". It doesn't refer to "fool" (beans), but the lovely white fragrant flower "foll", the English name of which eludes me..

:D That's fantastic! Thank you! And I always thought they wished me good morning of the beans since I had the beans for breakfast! Thank you Now I feel like an idiot:D

absciarretta
absciarretta  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:36
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Kose seg, koselig May 11, 2007

In Norwegian the hardest thing to translate for me is 'koselig'.

It can be an adjective: She is so 'koselig'! That is, she is a kind person that is nice to talk to and she takes care of other people's needs. It can be translated nice but it means more than that.

It can be an adverb: We are having a 'koselig' time, 'vi koser oss'. That is, we are enjoying ourselves but rather calmly with lots of talking as opposed to more rowdy fun.

It can be a verb: 'Å kos
... See more
In Norwegian the hardest thing to translate for me is 'koselig'.

It can be an adjective: She is so 'koselig'! That is, she is a kind person that is nice to talk to and she takes care of other people's needs. It can be translated nice but it means more than that.

It can be an adverb: We are having a 'koselig' time, 'vi koser oss'. That is, we are enjoying ourselves but rather calmly with lots of talking as opposed to more rowdy fun.

It can be a verb: 'Å kose' can mean to cuddle.

It is a concept that always baffles foreign visitors to Norway.
Collapse

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 11:36
Italian to English
A completely different word/phrase May 25, 2007

There are phrases in English you just have to change necessarily.....try translating "it's raining cats and dogs" into Italian. You can't

Rob

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Untranslatable words and phrases

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »