Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Off topic: How do the Dutch say \'double Dutch\'? Or the Russians \'Russian Roulette\'? More...
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:32
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Scotch mist, turkeys, cannibalism etc. Mar 26, 2003

To George Watson:

You\'re right, but I don\'t think your version invalidates mine. The most common usage of it I know is to show someone something and say: \"What d\'you think this is? Scotch mist?\" I\'ve never heard of it (or of Brahms & Liszt) as rhyming slang for pissed, but you may be more experienced in these matters.

Turkey in Russian is similar to Turkish: indyuka.

Cannibalism: The Americans also like eating Frankfurters.

<
... See more
To George Watson:

You\'re right, but I don\'t think your version invalidates mine. The most common usage of it I know is to show someone something and say: \"What d\'you think this is? Scotch mist?\" I\'ve never heard of it (or of Brahms & Liszt) as rhyming slang for pissed, but you may be more experienced in these matters.

Turkey in Russian is similar to Turkish: indyuka.

Cannibalism: The Americans also like eating Frankfurters.

Dutch courage, Dutch uncle and Dutch treat (more often \"going Dutch\") are all used in UK English, though the third one is probably more common in the USA.

And when they feel chilly in Chile, do they eat chilli? (or is that just silly?)
Collapse

Rachel Vanarsdall
Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:32
Member (2004)
French to English
Mar 26, 2003

[Edited at 2005-10-02 17:58]

Arcoiris
Arcoiris
English to Spanish
+ ...
pelo chino Mar 27, 2003

Juan Jacob escribio:

\"...acá, en México, está en chino: incomprensible. Pero, por otro lado, una persona que tenga el pelo chino es aquella que lo tiene completamente lacio.\"

Yo siempre habia entendido que en Mexico alguien que tiene pelo chino significa que lo tiene rizado, aunque por supuesto los chinos lo tienen lacio. Es algo que siempre me llamo la atencion desde que era pequeña

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:32
French to Spanish
+ ...
Sí, perdón... Mar 27, 2003

es exactamente al revés, de ahí mi confusión: pelo chino es tener el pelo crespo, como precisamente NO lo tienen los chinos, en general. (Creo que ayer estaba algo cansado, y rectifico).

Saludo.

Quote:

On 2003-03-27 13:08, Apricitas wrote:

Juan Jacob escribio:

\"...acá, en México, está en chino: incomprensible. Pero, por otro lado, una persona que tenga el pelo ch... See more
es exactamente al revés, de ahí mi confusión: pelo chino es tener el pelo crespo, como precisamente NO lo tienen los chinos, en general. (Creo que ayer estaba algo cansado, y rectifico).

Saludo.

Quote:

On 2003-03-27 13:08, Apricitas wrote:

Juan Jacob escribio:

\"...acá, en México, está en chino: incomprensible. Pero, por otro lado, una persona que tenga el pelo chino es aquella que lo tiene completamente lacio.\"

Yo siempre habia entendido que en Mexico alguien que tiene pelo chino significa que lo tiene rizado, aunque por supuesto los chinos lo tienen lacio. Es algo que siempre me llamo la atencion desde que era pequeña

Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
suena chino Apr 2, 2003

Aquí en España he oido varias veces \"todo me suena chino\" = It´s all Greek to me.

Anyone ever hear the expresson, \"pardon my French\"?

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
pardon my French Apr 2, 2003

I\'ve sometimes heard \"scusate il francese\" in Italian, but I think it\'s just a translation from English (maybe in movies ecc.) And how do the French say it ?

MJ Barber
MJ Barber  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
turkeys Apr 4, 2003

Off topic, but how many languages is that particular fowl called after? In French, Turkey and Russia, it is called Dinde, Indi and Hindiyuka, respectively; in English it is Turkey (obviously), and in Portuguese it is Peru - at least they got the continent right.

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
English to French
We don't Apr 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-02 07:41, Lorenz wrote:

I\'ve sometimes heard \"scusate il francese\" in Italian, but I think it\'s just a translation from English (maybe in movies ecc.) And how do the French say it ?

No other language actually exist for the French population, so ... \"excusez mon language\" would be as close as it gets. ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-02 07:41, Lorenz wrote:

No other language actually exist for the French population, so ... \"excusez mon language\" would be as close as it gets. Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
We eat Viennease Apr 10, 2003

In Finland a viineri (from Wiener, Vienna) is what they call Danish pastry in English, but when you come to Extonia and see on offer \"viineri\" its a Viennease sausage, Knackwurst in German, nakki in Finnish. But we eat also our own citizens, at least Porilainen, someone living in Pori, is a hotdog.

\"Russian skiing\" is called in Finland, when you carry your skis, since in the Winter War the Russians and Ukrainians could not ski but were carrying that part of their equipme
... See more
In Finland a viineri (from Wiener, Vienna) is what they call Danish pastry in English, but when you come to Extonia and see on offer \"viineri\" its a Viennease sausage, Knackwurst in German, nakki in Finnish. But we eat also our own citizens, at least Porilainen, someone living in Pori, is a hotdog.

\"Russian skiing\" is called in Finland, when you carry your skis, since in the Winter War the Russians and Ukrainians could not ski but were carrying that part of their equipment on attack, so the saying goes.
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Irish Confetti? Apr 11, 2003

Over here in Germany, the expression “das kommt mir spanisch vor”, means “it sounds odd to me”, whereas “wie Gott in Frankreich leben” (to live like God in France) means to “live the life of Riley”. Having racked my brains for an Irish one, I discovered that “Irish confetti” means “a rock or brick used as a missile”, although that’s a new one on me. I think I\'ll get married here in Germany, just in case!

On a more topical note, the pool of these id
... See more
Over here in Germany, the expression “das kommt mir spanisch vor”, means “it sounds odd to me”, whereas “wie Gott in Frankreich leben” (to live like God in France) means to “live the life of Riley”. Having racked my brains for an Irish one, I discovered that “Irish confetti” means “a rock or brick used as a missile”, although that’s a new one on me. I think I\'ll get married here in Germany, just in case!

On a more topical note, the pool of these idioms has been depleted since a recent congressional order renamed “French fries” “freedom fries” – resulting, I would imagine, in jubilation among self-respecting French chefs everywhere …

Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Freedom fries Apr 11, 2003

In view of the decision of Congress, in all its wisdom, to pronounce the official renaming of fried potatoes, it begs the question whether they will pursue their own logic to its conclusion and airbrush all other traces of Frenchness from the lexicon:

Will French Letters, for example, now be known as Liberty letters? (has a certain intrinsic logic, actually)

And perhaps French dressing will become Dubya\'s Dressing?

French Mustard? R
... See more
In view of the decision of Congress, in all its wisdom, to pronounce the official renaming of fried potatoes, it begs the question whether they will pursue their own logic to its conclusion and airbrush all other traces of Frenchness from the lexicon:

Will French Letters, for example, now be known as Liberty letters? (has a certain intrinsic logic, actually)

And perhaps French dressing will become Dubya\'s Dressing?

French Mustard? Rumsfeld\'s Hot & Spicy Special Sauce? The condiment that will make your tastebuds explode...?

And given that they are equally peeved with the other side of the Axis of Old European-ness, what the hell are they going to rename the Frankfurter?

And what about Eau de Cologne? That combines the worst of both old worlds! Perhaps a mildly dismissive new moniker such as \"Old European Water\"?

It seems that Congress is taking on the Academie Francaise at it\'s own game and demonstrating that it can outshine anyone in the absurdity stakes....

[ This Message was edited by: The Tautologist on 2003-04-11 20:32]
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:32
German to English
+ ...
Double Dutch? Apr 12, 2003

What does double dutch mean in UK English? In US English it is a jumprope game:

How about this one:

In Vienna hot dogs are called \"Frankfurter\" whereas in Frankfurt they are called \"Wiener\" (Wien = Vienna)

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Double Dutch... Apr 12, 2003

...means gobbledegook, something which is incomprehensible, or at least something which is incomprehensible to the reader/listener.

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
and some contributions from Turkey... Apr 14, 2003

We use \"ingiliz anahtarý\" (english key) for monkey-wrench, \"Ýngiliz tuzu\" (english salt) for epsom salt, Alman usulü (german treat) for Dutch treat.

Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:32
Italian to English
And the poor Portuguese? Apr 29, 2003

In Italian, the expression used to denote someone who enters without paying the admission ticket is \"fare il portoghese\".

And while we\'re at it, how do the Turkish describe someone who smokes a great deal?

In reference to Dan\'s post about Congress and Liberty fries, check out Mark Fiore\'s cartoon on the subject. Hysterical.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do the Dutch say \'double Dutch\'? Or the Russians \'Russian Roulette\'? More...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »