radruz
radruz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 11, 2009

Hi there!

I hope you will be able to help me. I need to translate some strings and I have received them in a TXT file. They are a bit messy and I really need to be careful with the code. I was wondering if you could recommend me a freeware tool to translate these strings.

Thanks a lot for your help!

radruz
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.string Jul 11, 2009

sorry, the files are .string files, not .txt files.

Diego Donati
Diego Donati

Italian to English
+ ...
OmegaT Jul 11, 2009

You could use OmegaT.

Have a look here:

www.omegat.org

It is the best Open Source CAT tool

Regards,

Diego

Diego Donati
Diego Donati

Italian to English
+ ...
Link to a previous post regarding the translation of .strings files using OmegaT Jul 11, 2009

Here is the link of a previous discussion regarding the translation of .strings files with OmegaT

http://geo.proz.com/forum/localization/99784-localizing_strings_file.html

Regards,

Diego

radruz
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already tried with OmegaT Jul 11, 2009

Hi Diego!

thanks a lot! I have just tried with OmegaT but it doesn't support .string files.

Once again thanks a lot!

Diego Donati
Diego Donati

Italian to English
+ ...
Why don't you try to create a filter Jul 11, 2009

In the link I pasted, there is a demonstration that teaches you how to create a .scripts filter in OmegaT.
OmegaT doesn't naturally open .scripts files, but text files, so you could try to create a filter yourself.

[Edited at 2009-07-11 11:22 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
There is no .string file type Jul 11, 2009

Probably this is a text file which for some internal reason its extension was changed to "string".

If you want, you can send me one file ([email protected]) and I'll check it.

radruz
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It Works! Jul 11, 2009

Hey Diego!

Thanks you very much for sending me the link, it works perfectly!!!

Kind regards

Rafa

Diego Donati
Diego Donati

Italian to English
+ ...
Perfect! Jul 11, 2009

I am glad it works!
Have a nice day!
Diego

Diego Donati
Diego Donati

Italian to English
+ ...
Something about .string files Jul 11, 2009

There is an interesting link regarding the extension .strings that is used in localization:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPInternational/Articles/StringsFiles.html

where you can read this:

"About Strings Files"

Resource files that contain localizable strin
... See more
There is an interesting link regarding the extension .strings that is used in localization:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPInternational/Articles/StringsFiles.html

where you can read this:

"About Strings Files"

Resource files that contain localizable strings are referred to as strings files (with the deliberate extra 's' in the word "strings") because of their filename extension, which is .strings. You can create strings files manually or programmatically depending on your needs. The standard strings file format consists of one or more key-value pairs along with optional comments. The key and value in a given pair are strings of text enclosed in double quotation marks, separated by an equal sign, and terminated by a semicolon. (You can also use a property list format for strings files. In such a case, the top-level node is a dictionary and each key-value pair of that dictionary is a string entry.) Although the inclusion of comments is optional, they do provide a useful way to communicate contextual information to the translator about how each string is used. Listing 1 shows a simple strings file with two non-localized entries for the default language.

[Edited at 2009-07-11 12:15 GMT]

Regards,

Diego

[Edited at 2009-07-11 12:20 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization tool

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »